Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Shuffle said:

Aww so after longer drives just let it idle for a few minutes?

doesnt even really matter if its been a 'long' drive, just dont rape your car for the last ten mins of your journey,

its the super hot oil (from raping) that ends up resting around the turbo core and seals, (also super heated turbo internals) when you shut it off prematurely that ruins turbos, and your engine. The point is to allow normal operating temp oil to be passing through it on shutdown

funkytown']

[quote name='Shuffle said:

/quote]

doesnt even really matter if its been a 'long' drive, just dont rape your car for the last ten mins of your journey,

its the super hot oil (from raping) that ends up resting around the turbo core and seals, (also super heated turbo internals) when you shut it off prematurely that ruins turbos, and your engine. The point is to allow normal operating temp oil to be passing through it on shutdown

Aw man thanks alot!

Yeah I'm looking at getting a turbo timer just coz I'm paranoid rofl

Then again I keep hearing horror storys about BH e-tunes so I am just being careful, 30 seconds to a minute after each run and at least one minute warm up from cold.

Greaver said:

Yeah I'm looking at getting a turbo timer just coz I'm paranoid rofl

Then again I keep hearing horror storys about BH e-tunes so I am just being careful, 30 seconds to a minute after each run and at least one minute warm up from cold.

Woe what horror stories??

funkytown']

/quote]

oh mint.. good to know but if you do rape the car at the end of the trip the other option would be to idle down longer??

'e-tunes' is a loose definition, what he means is the revision (rev) d GTB's.

They are they very last of the BH shape, i think all Model year '02. They are facelifted from the earlier ones A-C, so relatively easy to spot and run higher compression motors than previous models. They seem alot more prone to det in factory format on our 98 pump gas than anything earlier. This can be flashed out luckily on their ECU.

AFAIK - there arent any other real show stoppers particular to RevD?

rskikn']

/quote]

oh mint.. good to know but if you do rape the car at the end of the trip the other option would be to idle down longer??

correct - the old hats would tell you that you're still doing it wrong, raping it at the end of the journey is just stupid. Letting it run down for a bit manually if you're really that way inclined will help limit damage and wear as apposed to just rape and shut it down.

TL:DR - Turbo timers are for the lazy.

I'm LAZY ;D

I also like it when i'm in the car listening to the mean song and want a drink from the dairy i jump out of the car turn the stereo up and listen to it when i'm inside the dairy.

No concern with someone jumping in my car and taking off as i have the keys and when its in gear with no key its not going to go ;D

B4 2000 said:

cant remember the last time ive used mine, its always turned off. oh and stereo doesn't work once the key is out.

Funky, E-Tune came out ages before 2001, they actually came out in mid 1999

gutted oi i'd be getting that fixed lol

B4 2000 said:

cant remember the last time ive used mine, its always turned off. oh and stereo doesn't work once the key is out.

ah yes - i was half way through putting that in my first post but pulled it as i wasnt sure. (it seems to me people interchange revD / etune more than any other rev).

To the OP then - there is no difference in e-tune mechanically to non - etune models. And all RevD's are prone to suffering the issue i've mentioned.

B4 2000 said:

ah yes - i was half way through putting that in my first post but pulled it as i wasnt sure. (it seems to me people interchange revD / etune more than any other rev).

To the OP then - there is no difference in e-tune mechanically to non - etune models. And all RevD's are prone to suffering the issue i've mentioned.

rskikn said:

i was askin in general not just on the long trips say you hammer it a few times on the way to work.. which is like a half hour trip.. get sum heat into the garrett.. would the idle down time matter then??

i generally work on shutoff time - 10mins. so if you hammer if in the first 20mins, then treat it nice the last ten to let it cool off a bit (back to normal operating temps) and all good to just shut it down as normal.

rape it in the last 5-10mins isnt considered long enough time to shut it down when you arrive at your destination.

* its not like its going to blow up next time you run it or in the next 5000kms, it just increases the wear and tear on your car and should be seen as a general rule to follow.

funkytown said:

'e-tunes' is a loose definition, what he means is the revision (rev) d GTB's.

They are they very last of the BH shape, i think all Model year '02. They are facelifted from the earlier ones A-C, so relatively easy to spot and run higher compression motors than previous models. They seem alot more prone to det in factory format on our 98 pump gas than anything earlier. This can be flashed out luckily on their ECU.

AFAIK - there arent any other real show stoppers particular to RevD?

Yeah I have a 2003 e-tune or whatever it is

I was reading somewhere that the primary turbos are known to shit themselves although obviously this may be for all twin turbo ej20s hence my being careful with it and making sure it gets warmed up and down but based on the advice in this thread I don't have to go overboard

cheers for the info

yup will be Model Year 2002, and yes the primaries on TT's get a lot of use.

Treat it nice on warm up / cool down, put in the right fuel, and maintain it and the likelihood is you should enjoy happy ownership of your GTB.*

*assume all owners have.

^^^ FWIW:

My GTB has a ghey turbo timer built into the alarm (cant turn it off, it s***s me). This car has had the primary turbo replaced at least twice due to bearing and seal failure.

The RSB on the other hand has never had a turbo timer, however has always been shown good driving practices (IE: giving the whole car a cool down period after a raping) has shown no signs of turbo wear or failure in the last 100,000kms. (or ever)

Take from that what you will...

Now. Dumb question time. Does anyone know off the top of their head what the diameter is of the factory primary DP on a GTB? Need a downpipe-midsection gasket, and dont want to make a special trip to the stealer when midas is just round the corner.

• General Member
 funkytown']

[quote name='JoKer said:

warm up? far k that, just drive it, you aint got forgies

/quote]

hehe see what i've done here.. ;)

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

oh I was serious, unless you live on a State Highway doing 0-100kph in 4 seconds straight after exiting your driveway what's the point other than pissing off your neighbours and wasting gas

in winter is a good way to warm the cabin up or defrost windows maybe

I never warm mine up...

• Guest locked this topic