Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

boon']

[quote name='QRAF said:

yeah done that taken the washer bottle out and the 10mm to get the bracket off so i could give them a good looking at will get the multiple meter into them tonight.

I was just dumb and bought sounds and now my cars stopped so no point having sounds :P

/quote]

Did you install the Stereo? Is that when the Fault started?

I\'m betting so much it\'s this.

1. F*cks with electrical stuff

2. Car develops electrical fault

There is a causative link here people!!!

What I said from the start. But CEL is weird.

Not the Battery Power. Where did he take the Head Unit Power from? Amp installed?

Rosssub']

[quote name='QRAF said:

but i\'ve unplugged everything from the battery and it still won\'t start

/quote]

Do you know where he ran the Power feed from?

Did he Drill through your Firewall at all?

Did he run any Cables through the Front Left Guard?

ADIKT said:

obvious... but have you checked the fuses all round?

the power cable runs past the ecu and i checked the fuses in the engine bay and under the dash i\'m being asked to check my igniter but i don\'t know what that is or if i have one?

I\'m guessing he has run your new Stereo Power Cable, right next to your Main Engine Loom.

With a Highly over rated Fuse and a poor Earth.

Your New Head unit Power Feed has heated up, melted the insulation and shorted onto your Crank Sensor ECU Wire. Taking 3 days to happen.

Most likely Near Battery, or in the Front Guard, (fuse point closest to source). Or at the ECU.

Working through the Resistance checks I listed, you can identify exactly where the Break/Short is.

QRAF']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

/quote]the power cable runs past the ecu and i checked the fuses in the engine bay and under the dash i\'m being asked to check my igniter but i don\'t know what that is or if i have one?

That is your problem. Power Cables running past ECU.

Did he disconnect the Battery when installing the Stereo?

Possible he has shorted the Live 12V Cable onto the Case of your ECU. Frying it....

Pull your ECU out, open it and look for burn marks or swollen caps.

Edit: Will all make even more sense, if you had the Stereo cranking when the fault first happened.

Editit: Also to get the Power Cable to the ECU, he has most likely run it through the Front Guard.

QRAF said:

ECU looks ok top an bottom

he did dissconnet everything and when we installed more sounds in the weekend it all sounded ok apart from getting a lot of noise in the amp even when the volume was on nil

So he installed an Amp as well? Power Cable run through the same path, right beside Main Engine Loom.

The Droning High Voltage Noise from your Amp is probably caused by the same Short/fault, that is causing your CEL.

• Admin

:/ So much wrongness going on.

Heaps of noise in the amp = bad earth somewhere. I\'d say at your amp\'s ground, or the headunit. If you have a Pioneer headunit, the fusible link on the RCA ground path is now toast. If you have a non-Pioneer headunit, the earth track on your RCAs is now toast.

Disconnect your Battery Positive Terminal.

Disconnect the Amp completely.

Disconnect the Head Unit completely.

Disconnect all new Earths completely.

Disconnect all new Power Feeds completely.

Both ends of each wire.

Pull the new Cables out slowly, looking for burn marks/splits/scrapes. Any sign of Short/Burn/Melt/Torn Insulation.

Check every Cable one by one until they are all out laying on the ground, in a pile. Then take them to your mate and shove them up his ask him to check to Resistance for you? He at least owes you that.

Then check Resistance/Ohms between Crank Sensor Plug and ECU Plug.

evowrx']

[quote name='funkytown said:

ross - its been covered many time, v7 pistons are not factory forged. they are hyper....

/quote]

Fail Funky... v7 EJ207 got forged ;) v8 went to hypereutetic.

He said V7 not V7 STI so he may not be wrong here lol.

V7 means sti. If it not sti it is called a my01 wrx. Versions only apply to sti.

QRAF said:

but i\'ve checked all my fuses the power feed? its the big power cable.

DSC_0840_zpsazhojtn2.jpg

i\'ve since changed batteries to

In this Pic, you have a HUGE Power Feed to the Alternator and Starter. A Huge Earth to the Strut Tower and a HUGE Earth going into the F/L Guard?

Then the small OEM Earth, from Battery to Block. Check this Earth at the Block.

Your Crank Sensor Earths through the Block (metal section of Sensor) so make sure your Sensor is clean and shiny.

QRAF']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

/quote]the power cable runs past the ecu and i checked the fuses in the engine bay and under the dash i\'m being asked to check my igniter but i don\'t know what that is or if i have one?

Re-Written

The Power Cable runs past the ECU, I checked the Fuses in the Engine Bay and under the Dash. I\'m being asked to check my Igniter, but I don\'t know what that is. Or if I have one?

:-X

Is the ECU/Diagnostics telling you to check your Igniter???

• Guest locked this topic