Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

funkytown']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

Should my JDM import v4 sti have a 180Kph limiter?

/quote]

yes

right. Time to check what ecu is in her then.

Went to whangarei in the weekend. Grandma has a straight piece of forestry road (long enough to go past 180 and safely slow down again) before everyone bitches. This is a private road with locked gates.

note point on the dash cluster that registers \'speed cut\' is sometimes what visually appears to be ~185ish or more on the cluster itself.

if it just keeps going and going and going.. then its likely your ecu is something non JDM factory. - careful as things get a bit lean on factory ecu and yellows int he 180km/h arena..

seen a few melted pistons / rings as a result

funkytown said:

note point on the dash cluster that registers \'speed cut\' is sometimes what visually appears to be ~185ish or more on the cluster itself.

if it just keeps going and going and going.. then its likely your ecu is something non JDM factory. - careful as things get a bit lean on factory ecu and yellows int he 180km/h arena..

definetly kept going. I was expecting it to limit but it just wanted to keep going.

Just had a look at ecu. Is has 75 on the outer case. Or 7s. Didn\'t have time to have a proper look. Will do that after work.

my nz new has no speed cut found out i can go all the way with my speedo not down a closed road but the bombay hills when i was a lot younger with bigger balls and a lot less to lose.

but my cars not about going fast anymore.

QRAF said:

my nz new has no speed cut found out i can go all the way with my speedo not down a closed road but the bombay hills when i was a lot younger with bigger balls and a lot less to lose.

Now it\'s going "Thump", with the ability to jumpstart a Bowing 737. ;D

Rosssub']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

Now it\'s going "DOOF DOOF", with the ability to jumpstart a Bowing 737. ;D

• Admin
 QRAF said:

thanks for the support guys :D

whats wrong with wanting 5000amps :P

I want to get into the 140db club with the one twelve the goal is to get into the 155db club eventually

140dB is easy. You could do 140dB tomorrow with the gear you have - you would just need a decent box.

155dB on the other hand is really, really, really hard.

I mean REALLY.

There\'s like 4 cars in NZ that can do it - Pauls Audio\'s Charade, Fusion Green Machine, then a couple of others.

Every single one of these cars is a dedicated SPL car with a wall in it. I know the Paul\'s car and the Fusion one are trailer queens. Cars with walls suck massive balls to drive around in.

We got kinda close, doing 152.x in a Ford Falcon walled off with 2 RE MT 18\'s and about 12kw. Bumping it to over 20kw would have got us close to 155, maybe.

dB is not a linear scale, it\'s logarithmic. Mathematically, gaining 3dB requires a doubling in power.

Let\'s say you do 140dB with 1000wrms (not too hard, but also not super easy)

-> 143db = 2000

146 = 4000

149 = 8000

152 = 16000

155 = 32000wrms

But this completely forgets the fact that most of the time it does not scale nicely like that. You might gain 2dB from doubling the power, because you introduce inefficiency due to extra heat and running the driver closer to its limits.

But last of all, you cannot do it in a WRX. I am going to sit here and say that it is damn near impossible to do a 155 on a Termlab, dbdrag style sealed up on the dash, in a GF8. The primary reason is the pillarless windows, you simply cannot seal the pressure in, even at "only" 150dB in my gf8 the windows were opening about an inch wide at the frames when I burped it.

If you can get to a 155, more power to you, it\'ll make for some interesting reading.

QRAF said:

I want to get into the 140db club with the one twelve the goal is to get into the 155db club eventually

Hard wire it to the Shell of the car and use it for a Security Function.

Auto Tasering Alarm System on contact. :)

Also useful in a Crowd/Zombie Appocolypse. ;)

Rosssub']

[quote name='QRAF said:

/quote]

Hard wire it to the Shell of the car and use it for a Security Function.

Auto Tasering Alarm System on contact. :)

Also useful in a Crowd/Zombie Appocolypse. ;)

Or wire your alarm to start cranking some RIDICULOUS bass

• General Member
 funkytown said:

Mine used to hit at 190ish on the Speedo. And I toasted an engine this way a long long time ago.

Johnnynz']

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

Mine used to hit at 190ish on the Speedo. And I toasted an engine this way a long long time ago.

Mine looked like it got past 190 - probably closer to the 200 side... could have kept going but would have been un safe for me and the car

• General Member

Might not have it then, I found I was hitting it on the back straight at Taupo so I put a Pivot in to stop it.

Had I known then what I know now I would have been off the gas before 180 and saved myself a rebuild ha ha.

yeah i only have 3766wrms to play with at the mo but i will get another T2500BD when i go for 150+db but by the looks that\'ll be no where near enough power.

Yeah my windows suck so my question is can i still get a wof with rails going down my windows to stop the flex?

Also whats the goes with blacking out the back windows can i only do this if i remove the back seat?

As i was thinking of sound deadening the windows?

QRAF said:

yeah i only have 3766wrms to play with at the mo but i will get another T2500BD when i go for 150+db but by the looks that\'ll be no where near enough power.

Yeah my windows suck so my question is can i still get a wof with rails going down my windows to stop the flex?

Also whats the goes with blacking out the back windows can i only do this if i remove the back seat?

As i was thinking of sound deadening the windows?

Jesus - your going a bit over board haha

• Admin

You can\'t brace the windows for dbdrag. You can replace them in, umm, Superstreet or higher classes.

But that\'s stupid. If you\'re going to make an all-out dbdrag vehicle, then a Subaru is a terrible, terrible place to start. The dash is not a good shape. The windscreen is too sloping and large. The roof flexes too much, and the doors are too long.

Either get something tiny, like a Panda or an Uno or a CRX, or get something big and boxy like a Trooper or early Pajero with the flat windscreen.

No point completely ruining your WRX just to turn it into a trailer-queen dbdrag-racer. It\'s just not a good starting point if you\'re chasing big numbers.

And there\'s no point putting sound deadening on your windows either.

• Guest locked this topic