Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

• General Member
 Rosssub said:
Its just blow by oil build up from the engine breathers. Give the pipes and IC a good clean out and look into installing an oil catch can. A can of Subaru upper cylinder cleaner will clean the inside of the intake manifold.

Where is the best place to buy Upper engine cleaner nowadays? Cant find any on trademe. Is it something dealers stock?

I remember before about reading about GC8/GF8 rear strut bracing compatability and some people saying yes wagon brace will fit sedan ok?

Which of these is most likely to fit?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=790863464

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=790866756

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=790866972

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=790863819

Johnnynz said:
Where is the best place to buy Upper engine cleaner nowadays? Cant find any on trademe. Is it something dealers stock?

I got my can at Repco, $25, but gor it cheaper as they were having a sale. Best to call around to make sure they have it first. Only 1 repco in Chch had it.

tydon said:

Genuine v3/4 STI heads? have been told rh-b and lh-b printed on the bottom = Version 3/4 STI heads. Not to keen to crack them open as theyre on complete motor

If this is off you gtb id say they are just gtb heads which are basically the same but shim over rather than shim under, thats why the stamping will be the same

Hey tydon my ej20R heads have the same markings. I also read reports that all v3-4 have the same head castings although I can't confirm this. It would be interesting to know what the details are. The only thing I can think of adding is that the spark plug setup should be different being wasted spark and ej20r has the bolt holes in rockers for COP. If you get anymore information let me know

Also see - http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread.php?10688-V3-sti-heads-identification

oh and - http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/825436-how-to-tell-v4-sti-heads.html

If you want I can take the covers off mine and take a photo of the cam lines/marking ect

Edited by slystiguy

Well according to those links I posted it makes them sti heads. One of the guys posted a photo an mentioned he came across sti cams with a single line through the middle (the same as yours) as opposed to the double lined cams in the links. The fact that the cam letters match up the wasted spark and shim under buckets I would say they will be sti.

I have never seen sti heads off the engine so I can't confirm for a 100% but it looks to be sti

I would be curious to know the difference in the cams between the 2 variants of markings, maybe sti Versus sti ra?

Edited by slystiguy

As we have no 98RON petrol in Southland - should I be running a tank of 98 when available (i.e. when I go to Dunedin for a weekend?) or should I just stick to 95RON so the change in fuel doesn't mess with ECU retarding the timing? (02 GTB)

BINKZ said:
As we have no 98RON petrol in Southland - should I be running a tank of 98 when available (i.e. when I go to Dunedin for a weekend?) or should I just stick to 95RON so the change in fuel doesn't mess with ECU retarding the timing? (02 GTB)

Probably best to stick with what it's used to.

I've been slowly collecting bits to get a new cambelt kit in my wagon. Had some GMB idlers arrive through partsouq yesterday. Made in Korea....

Any one have an Idea why my temp would spike? I was driving home yesterday and sitting at in intersection and noticed my temp gauge was at 3/4, usually it sits a little bit below half way. I turned the heater on full and watched it drop rapidly back to normal. I had just done about 5ks through traffic and 15ks on the motorway before noticing it. I am supposed to be heading up to Kaikoura tomorrow so wanna make sure its ok. No leaks noticed and water level normal.

(Took the car out later that night to go out for dinner (about a 50k round trip) and the temp stayed normal)

Edited by SpeedySub

Rosssub said:
Put it into test mode (green and black plugs under dash), ignition on/engine off. Make sure both radiator fans are working. Or could be a faulty thermostat?

That makes the CEL flash a certain number of times which indicates the fault code? Do I turn the ignition on once I have connected the plugs? or can I do it with ignition on? just want to make sure I don't fry anything.

Edited by SpeedySub

• Guest locked this topic