Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fair price to pay to get headers fitted.

WRXONP said:

lol . just like silicone on rocker cover gaskets ? it is possible to get enough on to seal up but not enough to squeeze all into the exhaust ! and you can leave turbo on and change up pipe . . . depends if you want to take it off and use more time bleeding coolant etc

question is are you 100% sure sealer doesnt ever make its way into the pipe?

Again you have been lucky so far,but must say sooner or later the russian roulette will catch up

$20 bux for gaskets and piece of mind that no sealer will kill a blade on my turbo = no brainer

get the gaskits from subaru or any exhaust shop repco etc

have used all sorts and no issues with any of them so far

have reused gaskits as well and no leaks as well

but if u can afford to then get new gaskits -

hit up BF5GT90 - chch member on here

he has done a few exhaust swaps and done them well

and very reasonable prices... ;)

WRXONP said:

Have changed hundreds of manifolds and silicone. No turbo failure. Maniseal is asking for turbo failure.

Lets face it - you do stuff on the cheap becasue either your too tight to spend $$ or just dont have the $$ to spend

I pretty sure your not dumb

Either way its it is not the best practice is it

pappu said:

get the gaskits from subaru or any exhaust shop repco etc

have used all sorts and no issues with any of them so far

have reused gaskits as well and no leaks as well

but if u can afford to then get new gaskits -

hit up BF5GT90 - chch member on here

he has done a few exhaust swaps and done them well

and very reasonable prices... ;)

Thanks I sent him a pm

Got your period or something rick? always so personal..... The way i see it is why replace gaskets that don't need replacing. ...I use silicone as i don't want the 40 psi in there leaking out. ... Everyone likes doing things differently. .... I was only saying you can re use them dry and I (yes I) like to seal them up. .. No harm done

WRXONP said:

Got your period or something rick? always so personal..... The way i see it is why replace gaskets that don't need replacing. ...I use silicone as i don't want the 40 psi in there leaking out. ... Everyone likes doing things differently. .... I was only saying you can re use them dry and I (yes I) like to seal them up. .. No harm done

Keep going, use sealer, I really dont care

But what I do care about is you misleading others that reusing pre turbo exh gaskets with sealer is all good

Exhaust gaskets have a crush ring that seals them , they are a one use item

25yrs experience has proven time and time again fixing cars on the cheap normally ends up costing more

Other well proven hands around here will back this statement up

I try not to use sealer on anything that I can replace BUT sometimes a smear on a gasket that is not easily replaced does help,and another BUT,never on exhausts as no matter how high temp the sealant is the 600-700 degrees some exhaust can get to pre turbo will kill any sealant over time,

WRXONP said:

Someone has to set you right/let everyone know what your doing may cause damage

Plus it's pretty obvious if your exhaust is leaking. So if your going to be a tight ass, reuse a gasket and risk it leaking, then you can just replace the gasket... rather than use sealant and risk a turbo

lol if you read i said I Use silicone . have done for years . . if you know what your doing its perfectly fine . . i would rather seal It so i know its not going to leak . rather than have a small leak which will make turbo spool slower and loose power .

It is how I Do It . . you don't have to do It that way nor get all personal . pretty sure i said somewhere don't put heaps on or do It if you don't know what your up to !

every one doesn't do everything the same . . some thing some one thinks is the wrong way to do some thing may turn out the way some one else likes doing It . . for the amount of times My manifold comes off i wouldn't buy a gasket each time !

you don't need to set me straight Im all ready going sky ward . . . i did originally say you can re use the gaskets meaning use they dry and i said I (I Meaning me) like to seal them up . . . . clear as mud now ? ?

Hi guys just got my quote back from Crowe sport for the job which was about $650 which is just over the top, Have got the original quote from magoo for $300 and I supply gaskets. Crowesports price on gaskets were.

Manifold gaskets x2 = $15ea

Manifold to up-pipe = $20

Up-pipe to turbo = $25

Turbo to downpipe = $29

How reasonable are these prices?

Thanks

Those prices seem fair for genuine gaskets, dont re use the old ones or silicone them up!!! Always use new gaskets, a few bucks spent here will save you big $$$$$ down the track. Also I would imagine the exhaust shop probably would refuse to do the job with out new gaskets.

Also $300 to do the job seems fair (4 hrs at $75 p/hr) is bang on the money and time frame. They have probably allowed this time frame incase they run into any unforeseen problems liked seized/broken studs etc

chappell943 said:

Hi guys just got my quote back from Crowe sport for the job which was about $650 which is just over the top, Have got the original quote from magoo for $300 and I supply gaskets. Crowesports price on gaskets were.

Manifold gaskets x2 = $15ea

Manifold to up-pipe = $20

Up-pipe to turbo = $25

Turbo to downpipe = $29

How reasonable are these prices?

Thanks

Head out to RDL performance, most of the guys on here go see Tony at RDL. He is the only mechanic I let touch my wrx, and always does very fair prices. Plus his workmanship is top job, he did my rollcage and all. ANd keep away from Crowes lol, not many good stories from there including myself have had bad expereiences.

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]

Keep going, use sealer, I really dont care

But what I do care about is you misleading others that reusing pre turbo exh gaskets with sealer is all good

Exhaust gaskets have a crush ring that seals them , they are a one use item

25yrs experience has proven time and time again fixing cars on the cheap normally ends up costing more

Other well proven hands around here will back this statement up

gotta agree with you on that one.. i got a custom made tripple layer gasket made up with the crush ring and it blew its ass out on the dyno in 5min hahaha.. after that i just welded the up pipe to the headers.. no more leaks.. if anyones after a triple layer 2bolt gasket for there headers to turbo up pipe i got a spare in the glove box i ant gonna use.. lol ;)