Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Power estimates

So i've got a GTB legacy 1997 but not the facelift. it started off standard with the twin turbo engine. Soon after it kindly got dropped 4 1/2 inches on some 18" wheels. Then i had the idea of seeing the power output i could get from the twin turbo engine, so i got a set of extractors and a polished vf22 turbo and a front mount.

I fitted these making it single turbo and came into that annoying engine check light when labouring the engine. So took out crappy 5 speed and threw in a sti v6 5speed changed the clutch to a kevlar race clutch.

Then threw in a link g4 external mounted ECU, yay no more light! Puta 38mm waistegate out of the turbo housing and ran the car at 14.4psi.

On its run in tune it got 194.8kw with 690nm of torque.

This was quite good but ristricted by the exhast. So fabricatored a 3" straight off the turbo. Got a nice figure of 199.8kw

Now im wanting a bit more so picked up a sti v7 engine, just done a cambelt waterpump and tentioners. I've been told i can put this in and run 20psi happily does anyone k ow what is safe but strong? And also a power estimate? Picked up a 5 puck clutch and taking it. Next week for fitting and a dyno ( also got a radiator and wAlbrou fuel pump)

So does anyone have ideas of power estimates?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but wanting to know the boost safely reccommened?

How could you get more out of a twin turbo open block engine? Theres nothing more to to to that engne without cams and forging.

The v7 engne comes stock with a semi closed deck and forged crank, pistons and conrods, not to mention a shitload more power and vct to help it hammer along. I'm hoping to obtain 280kw at 20psi

Psi isnt evrything, 20psi from any turbo will create the same power at the end of the day. A vf22 will sustain 20psi with no pressure drop. Injectors are factory purple so can handle 280kw and walbrough 500hp fuel pump will support, link g4 will safely control without the AFM to worry about.

Extractors will help with power and direct intake will create smooth flow. So i am struggling to see what other mods will gain ,e more power

Slidesector said:

Psi isnt evrything, 20psi from any turbo will create the same power at the end of the day. A vf22 will sustain 20psi with no pressure drop. Injectors are factory purple so can handle 280kw and walbrough 500hp fuel pump will support, link g4 will safely control without the AFM to worry about.

Extractors will help with power and direct intake will create smooth flow. So i am struggling to see what other mods will gain ,e more power

Untrue. A larger turbo will have a higher flow at the same psi as a smaller turbo.

You won't get 280kw from a VF22. And fueling isn't a reason why. The smarter guys who know about flow blah blah blah will explain why.

Ninja edit : As far as I know I have the highest kw on here from a VF22, and have all supporting mods. Including a G4.

You will be struggling to make 280kw at just 20psi on a EJ20 for a start. Unless you're planning on sustaining it to +9000rpm? Or doing some magic headwork?

I'd make an uninformed guess of somewhere around 230-240kw atw.

lol ! just bolting a Vf22 on a motor and running 20 Pound won't give you xxx kw . there's so many things to think about to make the power . . then you need to support that power !

what was the highest kw on Vf22 ?

Psi and Cfm are 2 totally different things. . .

and as for how much Psi can my motor handle bro ? it all comes down to tune . air fuel ratio . detonation etc etc sooo many things to think about not just Vf22 on 20 Pound !

and pressure drop as in the boost tappering down at higher rpm isn't just the turbo . . . its other factors too . . members on here have Vf22s tapering down

Scoobydoo']

Oh god.. I wouldn't waste my time LOL

[quote name='Scoobydoo said:

/quote]

so the answer to your question is ..., 280 kw no unfortunately it wont make that sorta power. How ever with supporting mods (ecu+tune split fuel rails, bigger intake an exhaust) you will get the most out of your setup an best bang for buck. plus when in 50,000 kms when it goes pop you can build a stroker or something an have all the gear to go with it already to go.... personally I think 20psi is to much but if you can afford the repairs then by all means go for it. others will tell you different stories I calls em hows i sees em

Also have you considered the other aspects of running a 400hp engine? for examples brakes an suspension ? not saying you will need it but there no point having a car that car go like the clappers but can't stop/turn when you need it to

Well if 14 psi on an engine that was 180kmz and just really shit created 199kw and 700nm, then i thought a semi closed, forged vct STI engine would give a fair bit more considering its also going to have 20psi, a friend got his v7 sti dyno tuned to 211kw 380nm and that was COMPLETELY stockrunning 16psi. so throw a link in 4 more psi a freeflow exhast, bigger turbo, freeflow intake and extractors and a killer tune, i thought high numbers would be expected

Koom said:

You will be struggling to make 280kw at just 20psi on a EJ20 for a start. Unless you're planning on sustaining it to +9000rpm? Or doing some magic headwork?

I'd make an uninformed guess of somewhere around 230-240kw atw.

i would agree but more around 220-230kw.

if you got a bigger turbo or gotasuby's setup which is bolt on you would get more, and on a v7 engine it would be safe.

from all the info ive seen the vf22 has trouble keeping the boost at 20psi (starts to drop getting to the end of the rev range)

all set ups are different tho.

bigger turbo is what you need worth getting one before getting it tuned.

vf30 ....... yea right :D