Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gearbox myths?

FST4RD

So... there are a lot of rumours out there about Subaru gearboxs and how they are not the strongest.

Now that I think I am going to upgrade to a late model Legacy wagon I want to know about there boxes. I really wanted to get one of the ones with the 6 speed STI box which i have read are very good, although I don't think that is going to happen.

How are the 5 speed ones? no bad habbits or anything?

I think the 'glass gearbox' reputation, personally, comes from the days where people stuck a massive turbo, spud cannon and skank whistle on their poor Subies and then proceeded to win da laydeez by dropping 7k launches everywhere without realising that AWD = no. Nothing wrong with the Subaru gearboxes if you don't drive like a Neanderthal. ;D

soopersubaru said:

RS 5 speed prob the strongest one but low on ratio....6^ speed VERY strong!!!... RS ratios with the 6th for Cruising without revving high.

Rally nuts get 5 speeds shot peened for better longevity or get them Dog boxed.

Many many opinions and options available.

6 speed for me thanks!!

worst advice ever... hirstory ad engneering will show the RS boxes are the weakest..

other than that ichi's and shales advice is spot on

Shale said:

I think the 'glass gearbox' reputation, personally, comes from the days where people stuck a massive turbo, spud cannon and skank whistle on their poor Subies and then proceeded to win da laydeez by dropping 7k launches everywhere without realising that AWD = no. Nothing wrong with the Subaru gearboxes if you don't drive like a Neanderthal. ;D

You're implying that those days are over ;D

Shale said:

thats me 10 years ago in a paragraph fantastic

madmike said:

Do what i did..

Find out what gearbox Viv is running and how long it's lasted.

Then go out and buy one the same for your car.

After 3 RS boxes died my RA type R box has lasted ages!!!!

Cheers Viv!

Someone nailed it!! ;D

Also, I thought 6MT was super strong too, til I watched Fastfour chew on his. Several times. Now that it's pretty much ALL BILLET, it ain't goin anywhere. Took a while to get there though. And there are several kinds of 6MT, the earliest being the most fragile.

And evidently no, the days of DO A SKID AU are sadly not over yet. I blame cousins marrying.

The moral of the story is, MECHANICAL SYMPATHY. I have one of the weakest 5MT AWD boxes of all - HX20s non-turbo! They are fragile as f**k and can't handle turbo power at all. And yet, 200,000km of abuse later, it's only just now starting to have domestics with the 2nd and 3rd gear synchro. I abuse my car, but I still have mechanical sympathy; nothing gets forced, but dear GOD, if there's motorsport about, I'm right up in there. It all starts with the nut behind the wheel.

FST4RD']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

late model 5MT are fine unless your a muppet behind the wheel

gearboxes with codes TY754 ..... are what you want NOT the earlier TY752...... model

/quote]

So where do I find the gearbox code?

Again people, he said late model so you'll be just fine.

You can find the gearbox code in the engine pay along with the other info like engine code, color etc etc.

Also, a late model will have TY754 gearbox, even my 2000 B4 has a TY754 gearbox

in my old BC5 manual converted GT ( rs-k gearbox )

the 2nd gear blew, funnily enough i was doing 40kph at the time and not even giving it death. changed from 3rd to 2nd and that was that.. coincidence that i was on my way to pick up Kamineko from town and it happened about 200 metres up the road from picking him up, ( this was the same weekend he blew his box at Ruapuna )

BF5GT90 said:

in my old BC5 manual converted GT ( rs-k gearbox )

the 2nd gear blew, funnily enough i was doing 40kph at the time and not even giving it death. changed from 3rd to 2nd and that was that.. coincidence that i was on my way to pick up Kamineko from town and it happened about 200 metres up the road from picking him up, ( this was the same weekend he blew his box at Ruapuna )

My guess is that your box was a second hand and you have no idea how bad it was treated before ???

yeah came with the car, i only swapped the motor ( as it was leaned out on 3rd cyl and stuffed )

went well for a couple of months, no crunching or any indications of damage then it ust went clank clank clank clank and no 2nd gear.

:(

I definately don't drive my cars hard, infact most people would think I just drive like an old man! ;D

Just wanted to dispell any myths that I have been fed in the past about Subaru gearboxs and wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to walk into any issues.

This is the shape I want, also has to have these mags, manual, turbo, and prefer leather interior. (Sorry I don't know the model number :P)

187193513_full.jpg