Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Performance mods for a 2001 GTB Twin Turbo?

webup

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mine at 4600rpm, change back around 4000. Found that way the secondary really kicked in, and i could meander all day on primary. I had come straight from an N/A to the tiwn, so was ALWAYS hitting vod, the controller fixed that right up.

Now 2 things to note here, the Gen 3's handle vod MUCH better than the Gen 2's, so the benifit of it is not as great as it is with the gen 2's. Also, auto's suffer from vod even less, i wouldn't even bother buying one for an auto gen 3.

but...

DON'T buy an auto!!

Seriously, even my dad regrets the day he bought an auto twin turbo, he much prefers driving my car if he ever get's a chance, and complains about the auto whenever he can...

ReubenH']

[quote name='smurff said:

people are always pushing for single, damn wrx people :P and ruben :P :P

/quote]

wut?

;D

You know you want to, i hear a VF22 calling you name... ;):P

hehehe just couldnt help myeslf puttin you in there :P

-smurff

MYGTB']

[quote name='sunnylong said:

I would recommend start with the front pipe. This will make the turbo spool up much faster. What i've also done on my car is replaced the two little intake pipe between the two turbos and the intercooler. Made a difference. Samco makes bolt on replacement ones.

/quote]

Where did you get the Samco pipes from? Im interested in getting some myself.

I bought them from Alert Motor sport Mt Wellington Auckland.

here is their website

http://www.alertmotorsport.com/Product/Subaru+Samco/1637

Part number TB-808 and TB-809. :) Hope it helps mate!

Thanks for that mate, but damn $220 is alot of money aye! Do you have the dimensions for each pipe? Might be cheaper to find the same sized hoses on trademe aye.

I have the factory hose lying in the garage at the moment. I could measure the diameter of the factory hose for you if that helps? The thing is the hose comes with a bend and I think that's the part that made them special... :)

subieboy']

I would recommend start with the front pipe. This will make the turbo spool up much faster. What i've also done on my car is replaced the two little intake pipe between the two turbos and the intercooler. Made a difference. Samco makes bolt on replacement ones.

/quote]

When you do those mods, keep using the factory filter and airbox...

New AFM's cost an arm and leg and poddies chew this models like no tomorrow...

Yes mate... thanks for that... it's already my second AFM no the car... :-[

Winger Subaru Greenlane told me it's the K&N oil based airfilter broke the first one... so I'm now using factory air intake box with a Apexi panel filter. :)

/quote]

Yep, its a combination of the oil and vibration that kills them off.

I think somewhere on here there is a thread that links to a test that was done by Autospeed (I think) on the effectiveness of filters (incl. factory, aftermarket et al) It found factory paper filters to be best...

The Sequential controller does wonders for the VOD...

Factory paper filters? That will be nice consider they are less than $30! ;-)

I have ordered a sequential controller and bought a AVC-R from trademe... hopefully they would make thing a bit different.

sunnylong']

/quote]

When you do those mods, keep using the factory filter and airbox...

New AFM's cost an arm and leg and poddies chew this models like no tomorrow...

Yes mate... thanks for that... it's already my second AFM no the car... :-[

Winger Subaru Greenlane told me it's the K&N oil based airfilter broke the first one... so I'm now using factory air intake box with a Apexi panel filter. :)

/quote]

Yep, its a combination of the oil and vibration that kills them off.

I think somewhere on here there is a thread that links to a test that was done by Autospeed (I think) on the effectiveness of filters (incl. factory, aftermarket et al) It found factory paper filters to be best...

The Sequential controller does wonders for the VOD...

Factory paper filters? That will be nice consider they are less than $30! ;-)

I have ordered a sequential controller and bought a AVC-R from trademe... hopefully they would make thing a bit different.

Main article to read:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2232/article.html

Factory airfilters have excellent flow and they’ve also got filtration that matches the car manufacturer’s stringent criteria. Put a different filter in the box and not only will there be almost certainly no improvement in flow, there’ll also be an unknown decrease in filtering efficiency. That’s a pretty dumb combination to pay money for.

Several articles from Autospeed - Not gospel but good for info.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/search/index.html?keywords=filter&x=0&y=0

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1361/article.html

As an aside here is a interesting article, if for the only real fact/test they do for what actually matters is the filtration comparison to open your eyes to how much cr@p a poddy lets in.

Interesting article below, the thing to note is that they actually tested to see what the filters let through, (but take the article with a grain of salt, also the test was done using a household vacuum... I could not see a comparison to factory filter tho):

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

Forgot to mention, I have yet to see another article/test/story like the first one where they scientifically test the flow of all the filters to show the actual flow (via pressure or inches of water) for real world results vs factory paper filters...

sunnylong']

/quote]

Where did you get the Samco pipes from? Im interested in getting some myself.

I bought them from Alert Motor sport Mt Wellington Auckland.

here is their website

http://www.alertmotorsport.com/Product/Subaru+Samco/1637

Part number TB-808 and TB-809. :) Hope it helps mate!

Thanks for that mate, but damn $220 is alot of money aye! Do you have the dimensions for each pipe? Might be cheaper to find the same sized hoses on trademe aye.

I have the factory hose lying in the garage at the moment. I could measure the diameter of the factory hose for you if that helps? The thing is the hose comes with a bend and I think that's the part that made them special... :)

Yeah if you could give me the diameter sizes and lengths that would be great. I was thinking along the line of something like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Turbos/auction-216238229.htm

I have some pics in my computer already so here they are:

This is the one for the secondary turbo:

16042009055DesktopResolution.jpg

I don't have one for the parimary turbo alone but here is another one:

16042009058DesktopResolution.jpg

I don't have the diameter but I'll put it up a bit later.... :)

So what we have so far for suggestions are:

- 2.5inch turbo back exhasut

- Prova computer

- Front pipe to make the turbo spool up much faster

- Two little intake pipes between the two turbos and the intercooler

- Parallel turbo setup

- Single turbo setup

- Sequential controller

- Boost controller

But there must be more...

rsb_leggy said:

+1 pure genius

+2 be the first in NZ..and maybe in the world, would sound absolutely sick az! ;D

Shhhhhhhh*t! $220 for two silicone pipes.. i really cant justify paying that much, does it really help gain any power or faster turbo spool?

It's not *that* ridiculous.. I remember paying $80-90 for a brand new primary pipe alone from Subaru! I can only imagine the secondary is similarly priced, and end of the day the samco looks like it would suck a whole lot less (and last longer) than the factory items

MINTGTB said:

Shhhhhhhh*t! $220 for two silicone pipes.. i really cant justify paying that much, does it really help gain any power or faster turbo spool?

DPI said:

Single turbo it!

The only people who are happy with TT are the one's who've never driven a single... ;)

I would NEVER, ever go back to twin turbo...

Im still happy with my twin turbo. While some people do outgrow their twin turbo's, there are alot that either don't know how to drive them, or expect to much from them.

richm said:

Hi,

Well this might be controversial but the best mod I ever did was converting the sequetial turbo setup to a parallel setup. I have had it so for a year now and no other mod comes close - when you consider the small investment necessary. I have no turbo lag, no VOD, more power at all revs. I mean I now have two turbos going instead of 1, that's double the turbo effect. And stress on each turbo is lessened by them both sharing the load. I measure fuel consumption on every tank and it did not increase with this mod. So sure, you can do lots of things which will increase power much more, but for ease of install and bang for your bucks, I am interested in hearing the other suggestions that may come up in this thread. Good luck in your quest.

Well they run in parallel at higher revs anyway, so I guess the conversion just brings the secondary in lower down as well?

If the OP is going for a later BH he should go for the rev D (mid 01 facelift) which has much less of an issue with VOD - higher compression , different turbos etc. It really isn't an issue with mine, you can shift into it if you try to but generally it just pulls smooth and hard all the way through the rev range.

MINTGTB']

[quote name='rsb_leggy said:

+1 pure genius

/quote]

+2 be the first in NZ..and maybe in the world, would sound absolutely sick az! ;D

sorry for the late reply mate.... I replaced these intake hoses and downpipe altogether so can't really tell the difference they would make on their own. But replacing these two little hoses and the downpipe made a difference. Turbo spools up much quicker, especially on second gear. :)