Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Need some decent good quality open road driving tyres. Any suggestions?

newsuba']

That\'d be Neuton NT5000 not Nitto.

Repeat faux pas...

;D

[quote name='loner said:

Thanks Mr Newsuba... they look pretty sexy.... but do they come in a 16 inch?

/quote]

Been a while since I looked for 16" tyres...

Alas, no NT05 (or Invo - better in the wet) in 16"

:(

Yeah, 16s seem to be dying off a bit... still plenty of options for race tyres, but a lot less for road tyres.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC8E2DD said:

I thought the RE001s I had were good in the wet Loren (Slipway/ Port Road/ *Manfeild*). I assume RE002s to be just as good based on anecdotes.

Sorry, I meant Manfeild, not Trentham. I\'ve got Trentham on the brain.

The tread pattern of the RE002s looks pretty odd to me... the very wide and wobbly center groove in particular.

I have Bridgestone Re002 on my wrx. They are real good at sticking to the road in all conditions so far, thou i do say shop around, as I got two different prices from two different places, and there was $50 difference between them per tyre

GC8E2DD']

[quote name='loner said:

The tread pattern of the RE002s looks pretty odd to me... the very wide and wobbly center groove in particular.

/quote]

Maybe it is supposed to be peristaltic?

That\'s disgusting Sam.

What tyres have you got currently?

GorGasmSpecB said:

You will generally get what you pay for, and thats what you\'ll get with the Zu37s.

I\'m not saying theyre s***, but they wont be as good as an RE002 etc..

That can be very untrue. Id take gotasubys opinion over most on here have you seen the way those boys drive? If thats what they run on rally car Im in coz faarrrk.

evowrx']

[quote name='GorGasmSpecB said:

You will generally get what you pay for, and thats what you\'ll get with the Zu37s.

I\'m not saying theyre s***, but they wont be as good as an RE002 etc..

/quote]

That can be very untrue. Id take gotasubys opinion over most on here have you seen the way those boys drive? If thats what they run on rally car Im in coz faarrrk.

this . were not going to tell you its a good tyre when its shit :)

it actually is a good tyre, was getting better grip then some of the jokers running semis at waimate.

GorGasmSpecB said:

So a budget brand touring tyre is getting better performance than a semi slick? OK, must be great semis.

Wouldnt want to smell your gruts after you take a trip with those rally boys. Stranger things have happened.

GorGasmSpecB']

So a budget brand touring tyre is getting better performance than a semi slick? OK, must be great semis.

I\'d be asking the question of how long is the street sprint (1.25kms from what I\'ve seen on the net)? Because how many semi-slicks would you expect to get up to full temperature (performance) within half a lap of any normal race track? Even the ever so slightly longer "street" stage in the Dunedin rally (~2.25km) is barely long enough to get the outside tyres warm when using track racing focussed semi slicks. But semi\'s did offer a slight advantage over rally tyres there.

I\'m not bagging the Zu37\'s as I have no idea about them. But super short sprints are never that great for making decisions about which road tyres to use IMO.

/quote]

Wouldnt want to smell your gruts after you take a trip with those rally boys. Stranger things have happened.

Actually going for a ride in a rally car with extra shitty tyres is much scarier than when they\'ve got grip ;)

Koom']

/quote]

I\'d be asking the question of how long is the street sprint (1.25kms from what I\'ve seen on the net)? Because how many semi-slicks would you expect to get up to full temperature (performance) within half a lap of any normal race track? Even the ever so slightly longer "street" stage in the Dunedin rally (~2.25km) is barely long enough to get the outside tyres warm when using track racing focussed semi slicks. But semi\'s did offer a slight advantage over rally tyres there.

I\'m not bagging the Zu37\'s as I have no idea about them. But super short sprints are never that great for making decisions about which road tyres to use IMO.

very true. its not that long so not the best example :D

we have been pretty impressed with price/performance overall not just from sprints ect .

i just hardly see the point in spending over 1k for a set of tyres on a car that sees mostly on road/daily driving

Its great to see such opinions on tyres

Because you can walk into any tyre shop and they will give you one opinion and yet they dont drive what you drive, they dont know the balance of your car or the set up, when you have a resource of knowledge from guys on here driving what you are driving (sort of - ie wrx, gtb, whatever), nothing like real life experiences

+1 for RE002. My flatmate had some fairly nice hankook ventus tires on his WRX RA when he brought it, just brought a new pair of RE002 to replace them and says the transformation in wet and dry handling is simply ridiculousness, so SO much more grip in the RE\'s now.

Used to get loose in the wet all the time, now he can give it full throttle in the wet in 2nd and 3rd with no issue and only a small slip in first if you really push it. His car in on the factory 16inch rims with I believe 205/45/16\'s

(if that is the factory size)

Cost him $229 per tire fitted including free puncture repairs and some sort of tire breakdown insurance although I am not sure what that covers etc.

He took it for a good blat from home (dunedin) to Alexandra and cromwell and he reckons it just carved up those canyon roads even with some of them being a bit dusty/gravelly

lunchie said:

Cost him $229 per tire fitted including free puncture repairs and some sort of tire breakdown insurance although I am not sure what that covers etc.

Did he buy it from TTSL?

If so TCP is the "Road Hazard Warranty" - this covers the tyres for road hazards such as rocks. curbs, stupidity (to a degree) etc, it will even cover road tyres used "ofroad" within reason. Some stuff it does not cover, but the list is short...

Another vote for RE002\'s, they are a demon in the wet and they are awesome on a dry road too

I would use as different as night and day to describe the difference in the wet weather performance of Kingstars and RE002\'s but it doesn\'t do the RE002\'s justice

rex-leggy']

/quote]

very true. its not that long so not the best example :D

we have been pretty impressed with price/performance overall not just from sprints ect .

i just hardly see the point in spending over 1k for a set of tyres on a car that sees mostly on road/daily driving

I agree the zu37 may not have quite the performance of the re002. but for the $1200 price point for a set vs $400 ish for Zu37 in 18" and the fact I drive 25000-35000kms a year the very slight drop in possible performance is not a big issue. They perform way above my expectation. they are quiet on the road, grip very well in dry and also far better than the plastic chinese tyres in the wet.

For a daily driven vehicle i absolutely recommend them. I have sold about 30-40 to friends and they are all happy with them. and not just about the price

i\'ve got neuton NT5000s on the front of sti at the moment. were well under $200 ea in 205/50/16, and seem a reasonable budget option compared to many i\'ve had in the past on other cars.

have only done 1500 or so km on them, but they seem assured in the wet and fine in the dry. the car is purely road going. at this stage i\'d be happy to put another pair on the back when the time comes.

have got DZ101s on mx5, have been really good. they have worn the shoulders out, but i guess thats inevitable with hard cornering and dubious alignment specs :P

would definitely steer clear of triangle / kingstar / linglongs / bluestreaks etc.

as mentioned above its true that in general the more you spend the better the tyre, but the cost vs performance increase gets more and more marginal IMHO. at some point spending $600 a tyre for 5000k of driving just stops making sense :)

GC8E2DD said:

Did this guy happen to have an opinion on the RE001s too?

Can\'t go wrong with R888s it seems. Or Kumho V700s?

No... but the re001 is an obsolete tyre now? I\'ve tried the v700 and didn\'t like it, but I think

I went too big and couldn\'t get them as hot as the r888s... 205/40/17 vs 235/45/17?