Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gc vs bc

Gator

Hi Guys

have just sold my BC Fwd Ej20 (twin cam)

kept my Adjustable Oz Racing suspension

and my 18x8.5 Rota G force.

im looking for something a bit faster (not daily driven anymore) I do lots of road trips not a track machine. love finding a back road and feeling the limits of the car.

I loke the look of the BC especially the idea of the type ra.

what are opinions on that vs a say V3 or V4 sti GC or perhaps an STi Ra.

please back up your opinions with a reason.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gator said:

Hi Guys

have just sold my BC Fwd Ej20 (twin cam)

kept my Adjustable Oz Racing suspension

and my 18x8.5 Rota G force.

im looking for something a bit faster (not daily driven anymore) I do lots of road trips not a track machine. love finding a back road and feeling the limits of the car.

I loke the look of the BC especially the idea of the type ra.

what are opinions on that vs a say V3 or V4 sti GC or perhaps an STi Ra.

please back up your opinions with a reason.

Umm you probably wont find a bc r

If you do it will be exspensive and high k\'s

For that money you could probably find a good v3-v4

V3-v4 run better engine

They are lighter

Stronger diffs engine and running gear

There are many differences why don\'t you google it for yourself or go a test drive the cars you could be interested in but imo you should stick to what you like not what you don\'t know that way you won\'t be disappointed.

loner said:

a GC will s*** all over a BC all day every day.

Pretty big call mate with no info behind your statement.

GC will out handle a BC but you have to be able skilled enough for it to do so. BC are a slightly longer wheel base and are easier for \'joe average\' to handle through the twisty/track stuff.

But I guess Loner you are a professional driver, constantly at track days and race meets so yeah......

banky']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

GC will out handle a BC but you have to be able skilled enough for it to do so. BC are a slightly longer wheel base and are easier for \'joe average\' to handle through the twisty/track stuff.

But I guess Loner you are a professional driver, constantly at track days and race meets so yeah......

lol. I guess you really love your BC.

I have competed against BCs in a GC a lot. From my experience, it takes a very good driver in a BC to beat a very average driver in a GC.

edit: okay, that maybe exaggerating a bit... but generally, the extra weight and longer wheel base makes them slower. Talking about sprints and especially autox.

loner']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

I have competed against BCs in a GC a lot. From my experience, it takes a very good driver in a BC to beat a very average driver in a GC.

Now there is your info to back your statement up.

Always down to personal preference I guess, he states he wont be tracking it.....so on the road you shouldn\'t be finding the limits of the car \'legally\' that often. I say NA GC for reliability LOL.

banky']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

Now there is your info to back your statement up.

Always down to personal preference I guess, he states he wont be tracking it.....so on the road you shouldn\'t be finding the limits of the car \'legally\' that often. I say NA GC for reliability LOL.

5NmKCSE.jpg

Thats what i did

rslegy']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

some doesnt realise GC covers a lot of impreza\'s and is being a f**k head

Someone assumes common sense and sees no problem with being a f*ck head.

22 year old legacy boat with 80\'s spec interior vs 15 year old comparitively lightweight impreza

I know what I\'d rather have

Those legacies are getting real long in the tooth and finding one which hasn\'t been through the ringer would be a challenge (for reasonable cash at least), and are still commanding quite a high price for a car with a very declining resale market

(sorry to all the BC diehards, but you got to be honest)

loner']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

some doesnt realise GC covers a lot of impreza\'s and is being a f**k head

Someone assumes common sense and sees no problem with being a f*ck head.

There\'s fine line between your opinion and being a Female anatomy part. You have stepped over it when the OP asked for advice from fellow members, and then you come in saying s** and not being helpful at all. No wonder your username is loner

The question is pretty open to interpretation. If you like old Legacies, and it isn\'t for racing, buy an old Legacy. If you want something a bit faster out of the box than an old Legacy, and with more potential, then a v3/ v4 STi fits that bill. I agree with Loren; you don\'t often see old Legacies trumping old turbo Imprezas (assuming roughly equal investment/ development and driver) in Clubsport events at least. In fact anecdotally, someone I have been competing against regularly since I started four or five years ago has recently moved to a basically stock V5 STi from a worked and caged BC (that got rolled), and is already producing way better results.

Another misinterpreted thread with Loner kicking it off with his narcissistic posting tendencies.

Gator already stated it will not be tracked; so pointless doing the "which is best material for motorsport" argument.

As for on the road; that\'s really driver dependent.

yes glad you guys had some fun with it. (trolls need not apply)

I like the lines of the BC and have really enjoyed owning the one I had.

Generally what I can get is the better money is on a GC (I did state V3-V4 Sti)

so are the RA\'s (wrx) that much more fun to drive?

there is still one BC Type R on TM at the mo for 9K a little more than I want to spend but they look so tough.

rslegy said:

but you cant compare a bc to a STI impreza so it come down to 2 things #1 price- how much he is prepared to pay so like 3k for a bc or 8k for a STI and #2 personal choice- depends on what he likes/wants the most.

Why can\'t you?

You can compare a Evolution to an STI and they are two technically different vehicles all together.

• Admin
 BC5RA']

[quote name='rslegy said:

but you cant compare a bc to a STI impreza so it come down to 2 things #1 price- how much he is prepared to pay so like 3k for a bc or 8k for a STI and #2 personal choice- depends on what he likes/wants the most.

/quote]

Why can\'t you?

You can compare a Evolution to an STI and they are two technically different vehicles all together.

They\'re competitors in the same market segment. They\'re both a very similar-sized, very similarly powered, designed from the same background, similar concept.

But comparing the BC head to head with the GC is much more difficult, especially in stock guise you\'re comparing a much heavier mid-sized family sedan with (particularly in the STI) a rally-bred sports car. The STI has more power, better handling, better looks (IMO), a vastly more modern interior, stops faster, goes faster... you name it, apart from "fits stuff inside it" the STI will do better (actually the Legacy, depending on the ratios, might have a higher top speed. Maybe.) I\'d probably even pick an STI over a BC in terms of comfort and quietness. It\'s not really a comparison when one car beats the other in every single measurable area.

boon said:

They\'re competitors in the same market segment. They\'re both a very similar-sized, very similarly powered, designed from the same background, similar concept.

But comparing the BC head to head with the GC is much more difficult, especially in stock guise you\'re comparing a much heavier mid-sized family sedan with (particularly in the STI) a rally-bred sports car. The STI has more power, better handling, better looks (IMO), a vastly more modern interior, stops faster, goes faster... you name it, apart from "fits stuff inside it" the STI will do better (actually the Legacy, depending on the ratios, might have a higher top speed. Maybe.) I\'d probably even pick an STI over a BC in terms of comfort and quietness. It\'s not really a comparison when one car beats the other in every single measurable area.

So we are comparing standard performance then. I which case I agree.

My point is that technically both are more or less the same. Yearly and model research and development aside.

Do you actually know the kerb weight of each vehicle?

i personally love the bc shape. i reckon it looks heaps better than a v3 sti. lets be honest the v3 sti is also quite an old vehicle and most will have clocked up to 200,000kms or there abouts and people still want 6ish grand for them. complete utter waste of money imo. you buy a tidy bc for 3k with an sti motor ( original motor probably long gone) and you have a decent car for OP application. if you were inclined to a gc chassis, i wouldnt go less than v5 sti. facelift goodies. the v3 interior is absolutely horrible.

Anything pre version 4 sti either A) looks crap B) goes like crap C) Both

I waited and picked up probably one of the most original looking BCs with only 108,000 kms on the chassis for just 2k. id have my car over any of the GCs on trademe with ricer lights and been thrashed the tits off it.

OP. if you are planning on doing long trips i would recommend finding a clean bc for the 3k mark which you will find relatively easily and more comfortable and more space

good luck finding a bog standard of either