Jump to content
Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $60.00

Good Brakes Parts Brand


Recommended Posts

Hello mates,

 

Which brand do you prefer most for brake rotors and pads - daily driving only. Our EJ204 GG9's rear brakes need servicing and would like something that stops well and, most of all, does not have excessive brake dust that stains the wheels.

 

Pads I see at the moment are:

  • Bendix
  • Calibre
  • Royale (Ceramic)
  • Techstop
  • Bosch
  • Tora
  • Auto8

Rotors:

  • asl
  • DBA
  • Royale
  • Techstop
  • Bosch

 

I have read somewhere here that Techstop is an Exedy brand? If it is then it is supposed to be well-specced.

 

I can go genuine but it would be good to know good alternatives.

 

I haven't tried ceramic yet in any of my cars and would also like to know if these excessively wear the rotors.

 

Any insights? Cheers in advance.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Znoelli are highly rated from what I read online. And supposedly quite affordable direct. 

 

Maybe not just read this is daily driving use only.

Edited by swamp
Daily driving
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2020 at 6:19 PM, Gripless said:

DBA T2 are what I use in the rear. T3 up front. 
Not a fan of their lower level street pads though.

 

pagid and EBC make nice pads. 
I think you can get Brembo through the guys on the north shore too.

It seems like EBC has a huge range for the Impreza.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stay away from the ceramic pads if you are going to track it or drive it hard on roads with lots of corners. 
 

I loved my EBC ones they stopped better than factory from cold and warmed up were mental, but they generate so much heat. I was running over 610c into the rotors on track days. 
something about the pads not reacting as much to heat makes the discs way hotter. 
 

that car was only 850 kg with brakes that just fitted into 15” wheels so it shouldn’t have been that much load. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/07/2020 at 12:34 PM, Gripless said:

Stay away from the ceramic pads if you are going to track it or drive it hard on roads with lots of corners. 
 

I loved my EBC ones they stopped better than factory from cold and warmed up were mental, but they generate so much heat. I was running over 610c into the rotors on track days. 
something about the pads not reacting as much to heat makes the discs way hotter. 
 

that car was only 850 kg with brakes that just fitted into 15” wheels so it shouldn’t have been that much load. 

Hmmm. I've read about this before. It has something to do with ceramics being insulators vs semi-metallic being conductors. So with ceramics, heat is almost always disproportionately generated on the rotors.

 

My old BP5 has ceramics front and rear and it takes quite a while for the pads to generate heat. It has got new rotors, though and they are still OK after about 4 years of conservative driving.

 

I think the GG9 still has the genuine pads in the rear but I haven't checked yet. I can only see one flayed brake lining on the rear-left outer pad. The rotors are still genuine.

 

I am always concerned by the range in quality of ceramic pads as, based on the list I provided above, they range from NZD 27.00 to NZD 200.00!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah pads insulate the fluid from the disc and rims so don’t transfer heat and cool.  


I had bendix street race pads and they were way better than the DBA cheapest ones at stopping but the DBA are low low dust. Pretty cheap so worth a try as rear pads.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Gripless said:

Yeah pads insulate the fluid from the disc and rims so don’t transfer heat and cool.  


I had bendix street race pads and they were way better than the DBA cheapest ones at stopping but the DBA are low low dust. Pretty cheap so worth a try as rear pads.  

The low dust feature is always tempting. I have semi-metallic in the front of my SG and brake dust has to be thoroughly removed every week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry old thread drag here

 

Can anyone comment on brake pads that aren't really dusty in a V11 STI

 

I replaced my cheap ones with oem Brembo ones, great pad but still absolutely filthy even after few days they are bad

 

And being the multi spoke STI rims they drive me insane cleaning them lol

 

I have the Brembo calipers on mine and maybe its just the nature of having brembo brakes? - Im sure my V7 STI wasn't this bad though..

 

So anyone know a clean good pad? or should I be looking at the rotors?

 

I guess another solution would be to get some 5 Spoke STI V11 Rims and put them on - at least they will be easy to clean...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

I have the same problem with mine. My front wheels look like a completely different wheel due to how dusty they get instantly after washing. 

I vaguely remember being told Winmax do a good pad that is quite low on dust, maybe Project Mu as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

I have the same problem with mine. My front wheels look like a completely different wheel due to how dusty they get instantly after washing. 

I vaguely remember being told Winmax do a good pad that is quite low on dust, maybe Project Mu as well.

 

 

Interesting, do you know what brand of pads you currently have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
1 minute ago, TNHSTI said:

 

Interesting, do you know what brand of pads you currently have?

 

Nah no idea what the current one’s are, they definitely seem worse than the Bendix Ultimates I had on the Legacy which were supposed to be quite a dusty and loud pad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

Update which I should have done months ago.

 

Since the GG9 is used for daily 100%, I asked around and I got an overwhelming response to use the BNT-branded ones. I have already installed it and was really surprised by its performance. I was told they had the best balance in terms of longevity, dust (or lack of), disc wear and stopping performance. After a few months, the wear is still even and the pads don't eat the rotors. The car is still using the original rotors at 200,000 kms - Japanese steel. Cheers.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...