Sign in to follow this  
Sphinx

Good Brakes Parts Brand

Hello mates,

Which brand do you prefer most for brake rotors and pads - daily driving only. Our EJ204 GG9's rear brakes need servicing and would like something that stops well and, most of all, does not have excessive brake dust that stains the wheels.

Pads I see at the moment are:

• Bendix
  • Calibre
  • Royale (Ceramic)
  • Techstop
  • Bosch
  • Tora
  • Auto8

Rotors:

• asl
  • DBA
  • Royale
  • Techstop
  • Bosch

I have read somewhere here that Techstop is an Exedy brand? If it is then it is supposed to be well-specced.

I can go genuine but it would be good to know good alternatives.

I haven't tried ceramic yet in any of my cars and would also like to know if these excessively wear the rotors.

Any insights? Cheers in advance.

DBA T2 are what I use in the rear. T3 up front. 
Not a fan of their lower level street pads though.

pagid and EBC make nice pads. 
I think you can get Brembo through the guys on the north shore too.

Posted (edited)

Znoelli are highly rated from what I read online. And supposedly quite affordable direct. 

Maybe not just read this is daily driving use only.

Edited by swamp
Daily driving

On 18/07/2020 at 6:19 PM, Gripless said:

DBA T2 are what I use in the rear. T3 up front. 
Not a fan of their lower level street pads though.

pagid and EBC make nice pads. 
I think you can get Brembo through the guys on the north shore too.

It seems like EBC has a huge range for the Impreza.

Stay away from the ceramic pads if you are going to track it or drive it hard on roads with lots of corners. 

I loved my EBC ones they stopped better than factory from cold and warmed up were mental, but they generate so much heat. I was running over 610c into the rotors on track days. 
something about the pads not reacting as much to heat makes the discs way hotter. 

that car was only 850 kg with brakes that just fitted into 15” wheels so it shouldn’t have been that much load. 

On 20/07/2020 at 12:34 PM, Gripless said:

Stay away from the ceramic pads if you are going to track it or drive it hard on roads with lots of corners. 

I loved my EBC ones they stopped better than factory from cold and warmed up were mental, but they generate so much heat. I was running over 610c into the rotors on track days. 
something about the pads not reacting as much to heat makes the discs way hotter. 

that car was only 850 kg with brakes that just fitted into 15” wheels so it shouldn’t have been that much load. 

Hmmm. I've read about this before. It has something to do with ceramics being insulators vs semi-metallic being conductors. So with ceramics, heat is almost always disproportionately generated on the rotors.

My old BP5 has ceramics front and rear and it takes quite a while for the pads to generate heat. It has got new rotors, though and they are still OK after about 4 years of conservative driving.

I think the GG9 still has the genuine pads in the rear but I haven't checked yet. I can only see one flayed brake lining on the rear-left outer pad. The rotors are still genuine.

I am always concerned by the range in quality of ceramic pads as, based on the list I provided above, they range from NZD 27.00 to NZD 200.00!

• Like 1

Yeah pads insulate the fluid from the disc and rims so don’t transfer heat and cool.  

I had bendix street race pads and they were way better than the DBA cheapest ones at stopping but the DBA are low low dust. Pretty cheap so worth a try as rear pads.  

17 hours ago, Gripless said:

Yeah pads insulate the fluid from the disc and rims so don’t transfer heat and cool.  

I had bendix street race pads and they were way better than the DBA cheapest ones at stopping but the DBA are low low dust. Pretty cheap so worth a try as rear pads.  

The low dust feature is always tempting. I have semi-metallic in the front of my SG and brake dust has to be thoroughly removed every week.

Bendix ones are clean after Hard driving deal. 

try race brakes for the DBA stuff they are always very helpful. 

4 hours ago, Gripless said:

Bendix ones are clean after Hard driving deal. 

try race brakes for the DBA stuff they are always very helpful. 

Will do. Cheers, mate.