Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

Battery charger recommendation

Anyone got a good recommendation for a charger.

I have a large seal battery and being low use car I have run it flat again.

need something big and fast.

don’t have easy access to power while parked but some days I will

• Subscribed Member

I 100% recommend the ctek battery chargers, I have their MXS7.0 it's super quick, and works well for recovering dead batteries too. A little expensive, but worth it for sure.

It comes up for sale often, and I picked it up around the $200-300 range.

They have smaller and much cheaper trickle chargers too, like the MXS0.8

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/globes-batteries-electrical/battery-chargers-jump-starters-leads/car-battery-chargers/ctek-battery-charger-12v-7amp-mxs7-0/p/A1226799?kwSearch=ctek

A1226799.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3w

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

ordered the 10A one., should be here tomorrow.

Looking at the trickle charger one but the big ones can do the same.

still 12 hour on the s*** one I had was enough to get the car running and take people to get jabbed.

• Subscribed Member
5 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Thanks guys.

ordered the 10A one., should be here tomorrow.

Looking at the trickle charger one but the big ones can do the same.

still 12 hour on the s*** one I had was enough to get the car running and take people to get jabbed.

Sweet, that'll be a beast. The 0.8A one my friend had was so slow, but worked so well, which is why I grabbed the 7A. 
The 10, should be nice and quick, and like you said, they still do the trickle functions too.

• Like 1

• Admin

10 will be a beast. We have a couple of 5's for things that don't get used often. As mentioned, they pull off some Lazarus-grade resurrection of batteries. I've got a battery that hasn't been used for 5 years on "Recon" now, will be interesting to see if it can get it usable again.

• Like 1

Price difference wasn’t too bad and it’ll save being annoyed waiting if it runs right down again.

far better than the 2.2A I have now.

the battery is a huge sealed one with stupid CCA rating so should work out fine.

• Admin

I’ve got the 5.0 version It seems to be more than fast enough for how often I use it. I also got it with the rubber bumper case and the battery sense module which helps a bunch by notifying me when it's starting to get low. 

• Like 1

I was looking at the panel mount kit one with the lights. 

11 hours ago, boon said:

10 will be a beast. We have a couple of 5's for things that don't get used often. As mentioned, they pull off some Lazarus-grade resurrection of batteries. I've got a battery that hasn't been used for 5 years on "Recon" now, will be interesting to see if it can get it usable again.

I just get all overkill stuff so I never have to buy twice.

same reason I have the 1/2” Milwaukee impact driver. Though it is a fun toy on suspension bolts.

• Like 1

• Admin

What I really want is a magnetic disconnect hidden in the front bumper so I don't rip the CTEK off the wall when I forget about it and reverse out of the garage, and I don't have to open the bonnet each time.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great chargers. The only bummer is the flaky switches which can fail. This happened to mine after about four years and it can no longer cycle programs. There are YT videos on repairing the problem which is evidently not at all uncommon.

• Thanks 1

Same s****y power supply as so many things.

shows more about standards and testing rather than design.

design is good as they aim for cost savings.

also currently with mass component shortage things will get even worse as they try to get stock.