Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

180 km/h speed cut removal

While we're all hi-jacking the thread - what's the best way to test how accurate your speedo is reading?

I've got a V4 JDM WRX which I've fitted with some 215/45/17's, so assuming due to the increase of rolling diameter, that my speedo would be out, somewhat?

Given Coromandel roadtrip pending - wanting to ensure that I know how fast the car is REALLY going, so the Po-Po doesn't clock me going 105k/h when I think I'm doing 100k/p :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

205/40 17 showing 60ks on speedo = 57ks on roadside speed radar readout.

215/45 17 showing 60ks on speedo=54ks on same roadside speed radar.

So you should be getting a less accurate reading if you have gone up in tyre size/ratio.

Makes you wonder what it would show if on original 16's,might have to try it one day.

gmeago']

While we're all hi-jacking the thread - what's the best way to test how accurate your speedo is reading?

I've got a V4 JDM WRX which I've fitted with some 215/45/17's, so assuming due to the increase of rolling diameter, that my speedo would be out, somewhat?

Given Coromandel roadtrip pending - wanting to ensure that I know how fast the car is REALLY going, so the Po-Po doesn't clock me going 105k/h when I think I'm doing 100k/p :)

you could try using a gps..it usually tells you the speed your going aswell as directions etc. thats how i found mine out anyways..

[quote name='pedro said:

205/40 17 showing 60ks on speedo = 57ks on roadside speed radar readout.

So you should be getting a less accurate reading if you have gone up in tyre size/ratio.

Makes you wonder what it would show if on original 16's,might have to try it one day.

less accurate?? i was told it would be more accurate with bigger wheels/tires?? :S

Im still on the original 16s...10ks out at 100km

• Admin

He means a man's GPS, not a woman's supermarket finder ;D

Most decent GPS' will show you your velocity, although it depends on the road being very flat since even a slight incline will mean your road speed vs your positional velocity will be different...

funkytown']

[quote name='chulozumo said:

yeah my ra is about 10ks out at 100km. used spark38's gps to test this...lolol

/quote]

as was my v3 sti. interesting have changed to a v9 spec c box and a v2 sti gauge cluster and now its almost SMACK on perfect.. go figure.

you running a v9 box on a v3 block?

Guest S T  E Y E

on the topic of speed limiters...my old v2 wrx use to cut out fully just after 180 (tacho droped to 0) but i just went and tested my v3 for speed limiter and it just sounds like its doing a really early rev limiter wen it gets just a bit past 180.....this normal??

Guest S T  E Y E

in my backyard race track bro............... the idea of it cutting at a accurate 180 seems logical as mine went a bit past 180 before it cut and i have 215 35 18s

pedro said:

Based on the assumption that the factory tyre size is 205/50/16:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Wheels-tyres/Alloy-wheels/auction-340595997.htm

215/45/17

60k/h on the speedo = 61.36k/h on the road

100k/h on the speedo = 102.27k/h on the road

Note to self...

That would've got me caught out this weekend hah!

sti8u']

[quote name='chulozumo said:

yeah my ra is about 10ks out at 100km. used spark38's gps to test this...lolol

/quote]

as was my v3 sti. interesting have changed to a v9 spec c box and a v2 sti gauge cluster and now its almost SMACK on perfect.. go figure.

you running a v9 box on a v3 block?

it would bolt up yes but only on the four bolts, not 8. I actually run an ej207 short block (and v3 heads) which is 8 bolt bellhousing.

yeah my 10% error theory was not just pulled from a hat. i have throughly tested amongst many Ver 4-6 wrx/sti's using same/similar, sometimes two gps units side-by-side over the period of the last year or so. strangely once subaru got to the bug-eye model, the error was almost non-existent. one could almost say they are almost dead on.

it is a linear error, consistent error - other wise one cannot correct it with the speedo kit

now.....who is keen on that speedo correction kit ??????

i have tested this with a mates car:

215/40/17 = 10% error, (same as stock gold 16's, which i had on my car)

215/45/17 = 5-6%, so less error

i loved the fact when i 1st bought my car that it could do over 180km/hr but after owning the car for over 5 years now its over rated and i wish i owned a sti so i could just up the boost with more confidence that i wasn't going to blow my motor up.

QRAF']

i loved the fact when i 1st bought my car that it could do over 180km/hr but after owning the car for over 5 years now its over rated and i wish i owned a sti so i could just up the boost with more confidence that i wasn't going to blow my motor up.

[quote name='T.Rev said:

2010..the year of the epic thread hijacks...and the longest threads about sfa... ;)

lol yup