Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

What is the most weight people regularly tow with Subaru's? Any one trying there luck with a 6m fibreglass boat (~1.8 ton)? I thinking of getting a cheap 6 cylinder outback to tow with as I've heard of a few guys here towing race cars with similar...

Does this sound ridiculous?

• Admin
 Jono24 said:
What is the most weight people regularly tow with Subaru's? Any one trying there luck with a 6m fibreglass boat (~1.8 ton)? I thinking of getting a cheap 6 cylinder outback to tow with as I've heard of a few guys here towing race cars with similar...

Does this sound ridiculous?

Braked tow rating on my friend's 2015 Outback is 1800kg. Off the top of my head it's the same for a BP.

Quite a few people tow race cars on tandem trailers with the BP 3.0's and the engine doesn't seem to mind but I think the trans hates it.

Honestly I reckon you would be better off buying an older Surf or Pajero (if you're not towing it a long way).

That said my old man has a BP Outback that he tows his little 4.5m tinny around with and it has pulled that thing out of some ****house "ramps" no worries, the AWD does bloody well.

scratch said:
My one is a 2008, they might of changed it later.

I have the sh5, good wagon, not much info on it I have found on it either, only thing I have changed is the rear sway bar to an sti one. Looking to get a tune, but not sure if it's worth it

Powlesy said:
I have the sh5, good wagon, not much info on it I have found on it either, only thing I have changed is the rear sway bar to an sti one. Looking to get a tune, but not sure if it's worth it

A good tunes well worth it.

• Admin
 scratch']Is it possible to tweak SI drive maps?

Yea thats one of the biggest benefits of a good tune. SI Drive just uses the requested torque map to determine throttle opening in each mode, you can get a very different power levels with each mode. Isn't a traditional dual map setup but is still pretty cool when done right. For S and S# in stock form the only change is how early in the pedal travel the throttle opens.

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

si drive is simply a selective throttle map

Sure in stock form thats all it is but can be much more if the tuner knows how to manipulate it

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Not following you there, mine certainly did have a very different requested torque maps for S and S#

So tune wise, pretty much had it booked in with raijin before he shut down, and now have been quoted $1000-1300 including, just a bit too much $$, or get an e tune, but not that interested in logging etc, prefer to go once and just leave it _ any suggestions for ak / shore region, cheers

• Admin
 Powlesy said:
So tune wise, pretty much had it booked in with raijin before he shut down, and now have been quoted $1000-1300 including, just a bit too much $$, or get an e tune, but not that interested in logging etc, prefer to go once and just leave it _ any suggestions for ak / shore region, cheers

1000-1300 is pretty standard if you don't want to e-tune and log yourself, haven't heard of any that'll do cheaper.

Kido/Matt does know his stuff but he does get a ****load of negative remarks aswell, some major, some minor.

Think alot of it does come down to having a predominantly internet based business so all negativety ends up right on his doorstep. Where other tuners that stay out of the limelight don't end up with their less than impressive turnouts spread as far across the net.

Happy with my tune from him, and free re tunes which works well for me since i'm a fan of constantly tinkering with things

Andy_Mac said:
1000-1300 is pretty standard if you don't want to e-tune and log yourself, haven't heard of any that'll do cheaper.

Kido/Matt does know his stuff but he does get a ****load of negative remarks aswell, some major, some minor.

Think alot of it does come down to having a predominantly internet based business so all negativety ends up right on his doorstep. Where other tuners that stay out of the limelight don't end up with their less than impressive turnouts spread as far across the net.

Happy with my tune from him, and free re tunes which works well for me since i'm a fan of constantly tinkering with things

Cool thanks for the response, e tune does look like an option, could always re sell the cable

• Guest locked this topic