I was hoping someone would clarify something for me:

4POTS =

JDMParts_BremboSTI.jpg

2POTS?=

4pod%20brakes.jpg

2POTS=

3524487602_0ab158f8bd.jpg

Am i doing it right?

I have a BD Legacy, so the bottom pic on all 4 wheels, but I sometimes see the 2nd pic on some subarus

What model did the 2nd pic come on factory?, and is their any difference between the Brembo's and the Subaru if the subaru are 4pot apart from cosmetic?

2nd picture is 4 pots, fitted to v3?-6 sti's and v7+ wrx's.

The brembos have more stopping power, and also use a 330?mm disc instead of the 294mm ones from the four pots and the even smaller ones from the two pots. This helps to reduce heat buildup - reducing brake fade - and also provides a bigger surface area for the brake pads to contact, so stopping power is improved

Divine said:

I was hoping someone would clarify something for me:

4POTS = These are the brakes people refer to as Brembos, plainly because they are - they come standard issue on most GDB STi's, and are 4-pot front, 2 pot rear

2POTS?= These are what people commonly refer to as standard 4-pots. They are 4-pot fronts (2 pots each side of the disc), and can either come with single pot rears or 2-pot rears(depending on car) which are very similar to the brembo rears (a pot each side)

2POTS= Standard issue on most older WRX's, Legacy's and Foresters. They are a 2-pot sliding caliper (2 pots on one side, nothing on the other side)

Am i doing it right?

I have a BD Legacy, so the bottom pic on all 4 wheels, but I sometimes see the 2nd pic on some subarus

What model did the 2nd pic come on factory?, and is their any difference between the Brembo's and the Subaru if the subaru are 4pot apart from cosmetic?

Differences between the Brembos and standard 4-pots are the fronts are much bigger, almost a 200% increase in pad size, and the discs are a fair amount bigger as well. This all aids cooling and it takes a lot more heat to warp the discs, so they last longer.

ABS will react to lockup regardless of the brake system used.

and now a handy summary of your options because i can't sleep ~

you've found the limits of your current brake setup:

Fluid is old, replace

Pads have cooked or are a wrong material, replace or change type

rotors warped, replace or skim, check for sticking callipers or bad wheel bearings

damaged calipers, piston/seal rekit or replace

adjust driving style

fit extra cooling

fit larger brake system

you havn't found the limits but want piece of mind / bling

Re-kit and refresh your current brake system

Fit 2nd hand brake system in unknown condition

Fit re-kitted 2nd hand brake system

Buy brand new system because you won lotto

whatever you decide, make sure someone who knows what they doing checks everything. there have been some brake failures here lately and that idea is plain scary

there are MANY different pads available, to suit MANY different applications.

not to be blunt, ok well yeah to be blunt, do a little research into what suits your application. i know you want an easy answer but your only going to have people tell you what suits them, or what they want to sell

start with the racebrakes website which has a good introduction to brakes

Scoobydoo said:

Differences between the Brembos and standard 4-pots are the fronts are much bigger, almost a 200% increase in pad size, and the discs are a fair amount bigger as well. This all aids cooling and it takes a lot more heat to warp the discs, so they last longer.

And don't forget the negative difference of increased unpsrung weight.

1kg unsprung weight i sthe equivalent of ~8kg of sprung weight.

do remember, you won't stop any better if you are already finding your abs limit.

Tyres, or more simply, your contact with the road, is one of the major factors. Crappy tyres will still lock up at the same point. Probably faster due to more braking force. Good tyres will also help you stop quicker.

Brake pads, yeah, depends on what you want, they are all very different... Some dust up real bad, some dont, trial and error really.

ah thought them being alloy was too good to be true.

calipers of that era(mid 90's seem to be made by the same japanese company, i think r33 skyline 4pots fit, and the rx7 calipers look very similar - and are alloy - so are there any alloy 4pots that fit subaru?

rex-leggy said:

but slotted rotors wont make you stop any quicker?

i thought they were more for heat dissipation/getting brake gases ect out quicker

Quicker than flats!!??

Yes they do! As they shave the pads to reveal fresh material with each pass of the slot.

That is why 90% of race cars fit slotted. Not to be confused with cross drilled that look cool but do NOT stop you quicker.