Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Version 9 upgrades n stuff

Untitled-1-1_zpsc69fd4b7.jpg

So we can disregard the thread about advice for Version 8 STI because I found myself a tidy as Version 9 etc etc etc GREAT ;D

The car currently is about as stock as it gets, save for a GFB Respons Hybrid Valve.

I\'m definitely going to get this thing tuned at Possum Bourne ASAP and while I\'m at it, I\'m looking at my (dwindling) budget for upgrades to do (pre tune) that require a tune.

I\'ve always had in mind to go turbo back exhaust to squeeze HP and also for dat exhaust sound. However, I don\'t want a car that screams "arrest me" from being too loud or having an aggro muffler protruding from the rear... One option isto put a front pipe (~$300) in and leave the rest of the system stock.. I don\'t know what sort of gains/sound difference this will make. One of the appealing factors about this is keeping the stock look from the outside.

Alternatively, there is the cheap Chinese exhaust system (~$600) or a full Rage exhaust system (~$900).

What would you recommend? Would it be worth putting in a full system, but keeping stock muffler on?

I was thinking about getting a K&N Typhoon short ram intake, but I\'ve pretty much 100% decided against that idea whilst typing this post..... :P

Also, DEFI boost gauge: anyone know a better/cheaper place to find them than eBay?

> http://r.ebay.com/vCcB0E

Under manifold intake pipe, airbox to under manifold pipe, removal of snorkel, but keep airbox and under bonnet air ducting. Divorced downpipe (front pipe) and a well silenced 3 inch cat back pipe to match the afforementioned front / downpipe. Fuel pump, new spark plugs, new air filter.

Tbh, you are better off getting an open source "stage one" map, and get someone to adjust the tune as you modify it. New swaybars, endlinks, sticky tyres and enjoy driving it before you increase power. As standard it\'s a bloody fast car, get used to it, the power delivery and it\'s cornering quirks before you chase more killerwasps....

kwi_fozze']

Under manifold intake pipe, airbox to under manifold pipe

I\'m... not familiar with this? Care to explain or provide link? Forgive n3wbie

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

new air filter.

I\'m assuming this means that a K&N panel filter counts as sufficient? Once again, forgive n3wb ;D

kwi_fozze said:

Under manifold intake pipe, airbox to under manifold pipe, removal of snorkel, but keep airbox and under bonnet air ducting. Divorced downpipe (front pipe) and a well silenced 3 inch cat back pipe to match the afforementioned front / downpipe. Fuel pump, new spark plugs, new air filter.

Tbh, you are better off getting an open source "stage one" map, and get someone to adjust the tune as you modify it. New swaybars, endlinks, sticky tyres and enjoy driving it before you increase power. As standard it\'s a bloody fast car, get used to it, the power delivery and it\'s cornering quirks before you chase more killerwasps....

agreed above

yea if u wana kep it looking a stockish then a front pipe and under manifold intake and desnorkle the thing keeping the stock box

possibly a walbro and good service and then get it tuned

if u can afford - a nice boost controller for that better top end and spool

pretty much will be a nice street car and easily in the 12\'s at drags

thats just a solenoid that replaces the stock unit (does provide better controll through the stock ecu apperently)

yea that would work as the possum ppl can tune the ecu with it in place

i was thinking more like a EBC unit like a stand alone controller like a HKS EVC4 amd also they come with a built in boost gauge so u wont have to isntall seperate

and the under manifold is a silicone unit

look at scarles/STA/luxury sport they have it

u can get the perrin ones from the states for a bit more $$ though

maybe better quality

on stock turbo the lcal ones should do fine tho

optmspotts said:

I have one of those and they are awesome! The best thing about it over a electronic boost controller is it still gives the ecu the ability to cut boost and run wastegate pressure if it picks up something out of place.

kwi_fozze said:

I\'m looking at getting a 3 port, surely it can run from any stand alone ebc???

Sta parts are awesome, tell them you ade a clubsub member want trade and they\'ll sort you out!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

kwi_fozze said:

I\'m looking at getting a 3 port, surely it can run from any stand alone ebc???

Sta parts are awesome, tell them you ade a clubsub member and they\'ll sort you out!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

wouldnt the solenoid that comes with the eboost be 3 port already

i dont know why anyone would fork out for an ebc when the factory ecu can do the boost control the same... but whatevs works i guess

above advice is right, free up intake / exhaust, reflash it, go nuts. the muffler is normally the biggest restriction on a suby, but theres plenty around which will open it up without having big volume

personally i reckon lowering it a bit would do wonders for the visuals too, set of springs alone wouldnt cost you too much

• Admin

Buy my panel filter!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/other/auction-580328198.htm

I\'m pretty sure it\'ll fit straight into your factory airbox.

As for mods... downpipe, a fairly subtle exhaust (Rage is LOUD and the chinesey ones are pretty noisy too)

REAR SWAY BAR. Get a 23mm. Hugely decreases the pant-browning tendency to understeer.

Under-manifold intake is a pretty enormous PITA to install and probably minimal gains unless you\'ve done a lot of other mods.

Oh dear.. Finally got my internet uncapped and was able to look up videos of STI owners using aftermarket downpipes on the factory exhaust system...

Dont know what you guys think, but they seems pretty raspy (nasty) to me :-\

So now to go about finding a decent turbo-back exhaust arrangement that I won\'t need to sell my kidneys in order to fund . . .