Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI on 95 petrol

DOCS

Hello,

New to this forum and to my STI 01 BUG WAGON.

I recently bought an sti that has always been run on 98 petrol but where i live we only have 95.

Should i get car remapped? i read elsewhere i should..?

If so where is a good place down south which will do a great job.

Cheers in advance

YES you should definitely get it remapped an sti will NOT like 95. If you do run it on 95 at all then drive it bloody quietly and possibly chuck in some good quality octane booster (this is only a short term measure tho, its bad to use the booster over a long period).

Where do you live> that will decide where the best place to get it remapped is.

lunchie said:

YES you should definitely get it remapped an sti will NOT like 95. If you do run it on 95 at all then drive it bloody quietly and possibly chuck in some good quality octane booster (this is only a short term measure tho, its bad to use the booster over a long period).

Where do you live> that will decide where the best place to get it remapped is.

ahh! having just got it a week ago i definitly woldnt say i\'ve been driving in quietly... shit.

I live in Queenstown. So if there is anyone that you could recommend from Cromwell, Invecargill, Timaru, Dunedin and so on i will make the trip and get it sussed.

Will the tune be tuned to a lesser power because of only having 95?

Yep

It *shouldnt* kill Itself, its a new car with knock sensing and all that fun stuff so itll just be on a low-octane map, but it can do damage nevertheless especially combined with the hot weather down there

The re-flash would be lower power than an equivalent 98 tune *but* will mean you can thrash it with confidence it wont die, to be honest itd prob still end up more or less the same as stock hp anyway given the factory map isnt the flashest

Put it this way - theres thousands of people for who "hi octane" gas means 95, and there isnt cars dieing left right & centre. Just dont go cranking the boosty boosty up

clintondane said:

Really, no 98 in Queenstown? I seem to remember filling up my old Celica GT4 at the big BP in Frnakton with 98, and I\'m sure the last time I was there (about 1 year ago) they still sold 98?

Unfortunately no longer

Marky said:

Yep

It *shouldnt* kill Itself, its a new car with knock sensing and all that fun stuff so itll just be on a low-octane map, but it can do damage nevertheless especially combined with the hot weather down there

The re-flash would be lower power than an equivalent 98 tune *but* will mean you can thrash it with confidence it wont die, to be honest itd prob still end up more or less the same as stock hp anyway given the factory map isnt the flashest

Put it this way - theres thousands of people for who "hi octane" gas means 95, and there isnt cars dieing left right & centre. Just dont go cranking the boosty boosty up

This +1, I remember...back in the day when 98 wasn\'t even available in chch and we didn\'t have stis dieing constantly.

The closest place I can think of is Turboshop or Apet in Dunedin. I know Apet has done quite a few remaps but both Turboshop and Apet have proper dynos, Rolling road and DynoPac Hub dyno respectively

*Edit

I just spoke with Nic for you, the owner/tuner at Apet dunedin. He said he has dones 100\'s of subaru remaps for both 98 and 95 and gets lots of the farm guys from cromwell/alex etc bringing in their sti\'s and evo\'s for 95 remaps. Basically said even on 95 he would be able to do you a good 10-15kw atw more with heaps more torque and crucially a much safer tune which will also use less fuel. (the stock v7 maps are notoriously rich)

Price wise about $500 which is actually really good. (STM in welly charges 1200, ST hytec in aucks is 1000 etc etc)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/APET/182394231808306

Here is the webpage link and address/phone number

Apet

262 Vogel Street Dunedin, Dunedin, New Zealand 9012

03-974 8291

Couldn\'t get ahold of turbo shop but I have a funny feeling Mike (the owner) doesnt do remaps there.... might be wrong.

For me personally a remap would always be the first thing I would get done on any turbo subie.

lunchie said:

The closest place I can think of is Turboshop or Apet in Dunedin. I know Apet has done quite a few remaps but both Turboshop and Apet have proper dynos, Rolling road and DynoPac Hub dyno respectively

*Edit

I just spoke with Nic for you, the owner/tuner at Apet dunedin. He said he has dones 100\'s of subaru remaps for both 98 and 95 and gets lots of the farm guys from cromwell/alex etc bringing in their sti\'s and evo\'s for 95 remaps. Basically said even on 95 he would be able to do you a good 10-15kw atw more with heaps more torque and crucially a much safer tune which will also use less fuel. (the stock v7 maps are notoriously rich)

Price wise about $500 which is actually really good. (STM in welly charges 1200, ST hytec in aucks is 1000 etc etc)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/APET/182394231808306

Apet

03-974 8291

Couldn\'t get ahold of turbo shop but I have a funny feeling Mike (the owner) doesnt do remaps there.... might be wrong.

For me personally a remap would always be the first thing I would get done on any turbo subie.

Thanks for that info! awesme.

I have been in touch with possumborne auto i think they are in CHCH i would be happy to travel if there is a better tuner further out...?

Is Apet a good reputable company or are there some better outside of my region?

Cheers

DOCS']

[quote name='lunchie said:

*Edit

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/APET/182394231808306[/url]

Apet

03-974 8291

Thanks for that info! awesme.

I have been in touch with possumborne auto i think they are in CHCH i would be happy to travel if there is a better tuner further out...?

Is Apet a good reputable company or are there some better outside of my region?

Cheers

Possumborne motorsport art based in auckland mate. Apet doesn\'t have the same reputation as possum borne motorsport or STM or ST hytec etc but Nik the guy that owns the place and tunes all the cars does have a LOT of experience. He has been dyno tuning cars for at least the last 10 years and Apet has been in Dunedin for the past 8 years from memory so they are not a new outfit. If it was building a 1000hp R35 GTR I might say take it to Sochi at ST Hytec in auckland but Nick at Apet has remapped literally dozens and dozens of sti\'s and he always leaves a safety margin in the tune rather than push it to the very last hp and risk making it a time bomb.

The only other place that I can think of is NZ EFI in christchurch. They have a very big fan base (I am not one of them personally) and many people swear by them and rate them as one of the best in NZ. There are probably many other tuners out there I have missed but these are the ones that spring to mind.

Also if you want to know why I am not a fan of NZ EFI you can PM me but I will not discuss/criticize any companies in the open forum as it is just not professional or polite :)

lunchie']

[quote name='grim said:

for my 2 cents worth I have bought a new V8 and V11 STI. I have run both on 95 from new with no issues at all.

/quote]

If both were brought new then may have been NZ tuned (IE not the same tune as JDM)

Or just had the boost turned down.

nearest 98 to me is 45ks away, used 95 on all my subarus, never even killed a TT rs i do like to cruise tho, hardly kane it and use 98 when i can, old school mechanic at work runs his wrx on 91, done over 230000ks on orignal motor,he owned it for over 10years, thats all i know make what u like of it

Thing people have to remember is that cars do have knock sensing and the ability to compensate for lower octane fuels, as above many places do not have super high 100 octane wunderfuel

Thats why they have a low octane map to start with. The whole "relearning" thing people go on about after chucking in a tank of avgas or 98 or whatever is just getting it sit on this map, and not interpolate with the low octane one as much as usual.

Some cars are particularly susceptible to pinging, subarus are probably one of the worst with their top mount interheater. You\'ll do more harm from fanging the car off the lights with 100 octane in the tank and a 70deg intercooler, compared to what youll achieve from 95 gas and a reasonable intake charge temp

The thing is that there are only so many measures the ecu has to mitigate the knock - it varies with manufacturer but normally it is reducing boost via the stock boost control solenoid (switching it off) - and pulling timing (which has limits on the stock map). You start to do damage and get bad knock when you are past the limits of what can be compensated for (Say 91 gas, doing mad sik hellies on a 30 deg day) or when you bypass those systems (say... removing the stock boost control setup)

Ok im done typing, back to the wagon :D