Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bored? Offer your 2cents on a few cars..

So, after the joy of owning my old V10, then the pain of selling it so i could go overseas for a few months (it still hurts), i now need to find something to come back to that can partially fill the hole. I'm not back in the country for another month, but looking to line up something soon after i get back, so figure i may as well start looking now. Ideally want something with performance and practicality for a cheap price and with low kms, but that's practically impossible. Have looked through a few options, and they all have pluses and minuses, but thought since i'm only judging them by pictures and descriptions at this stage, may as well see what other people's opinions are, and if anyone picks up on something i haven't.

Ideally: budget < $20k, mileage <100,000km, performance orientated. As you'll be able to see from some of the one's i've found, struggling a bit with the first two.

Subaru's (Click on titles for links)

2000 V6 - This looks to me like a really nice example of a V6, but overpriced. Pretty keen on this one actually, potential to bargain with maybe mech warranty and/or price drop? CarJam says it was imported a year ago, only drove 200km since and only registered in NZ last month?? Mistake?? Or has it been sitting somewhere for a year for some reason...

2002 Spec C - Relatively low km, good example of a Spec C (is it definitely a spec c?). Not so keen on the bodykit, but have seen much worse

2002 V7 - Not sure on the looks, don't like the front kit, but think it looks ok from rear and side. Paint job means it stands out a lot which i'm also not keen on, but then part of me likes the colour. Low km's is the best bit, but worst bit is the previous owner put in monster tacho which i stereotype to be someone who may have thrashed it.. not necessarily but i'd be removing it straight away

2003 Version 8 - Cheap, been fiddled with somewhat, but since it's a dealer should be able to get the price down and then buy some decent mags

2003 Legacy S401 - High price, high km's, but nice car! Is this much different to a regular B4 RSK though or is it mainly cosmetic?

2004 Legacy GT - Quite like the looks, low km's and very practical with ok performance but i still think overpriced. Also emailed and they never replied despite relisting afterwards (i'm not going to call or text from Europe!)

Mazda: Also thought about either an RX7 or 8, but never driven one and know lots of them are thrashed:

1997 RX7 Type RZ - Out of my ideal budget range, not at all practical especially with the subs in the boot but looks like someone has spent cash on it, and would be fun to drive?

1992 RX7 - Driver lost his licence and for some reason engine has needed rebuilding (i'm guessing potentially related to driving style and reason for losing licence) so a bit dubious. But at the same time, i think it's relatively tastefully modified (my opinion only, feel free to vehemently disagree). Overpriced again?

2003 RX8

Randoms: Trying to keep an open mind..

2002 BMW 318i M - Low km, i like the looks, practical but performance?

2005 Holden Astra SRi - Pretty much new, very practical, but boring and also dubious performance

Nissan 350z

BMW 330Ci

For practicality, performance and price, this would have been ideal, but apparently it's pretty much sold.

Any suggestions, comments, criticisms welcome :)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the opinion, the only other problem with that one is it's in ChCh and i live (or will be living when i get back) in the north island, so would have to be pretty much sold on the car before it'd be worth flying down to see.

First choice AWD, second RWD. I agree that's an important factor, but if i found a great performing, nice looking FWD for a good price, i probably wouldn't turn it down.

i like the v7 2002 as didn't you know red gives you another 5kw ;D

$550 to have it delivered to your door but like yourself i'd want it to be checked out by myself or family down there.

but if i had the money i'd go for the Subaru Legacy GT BP5 2004 maybe i'm just getting older.

dont really have an opinion on the car, unless a classic is under consideration (BC5 RS) but if you find one down-country, you could do what i did with a starlet gt that i brought. i got the AA to check it out (cost about $250) and then got the bus down (would have flown, but it was auckland to wellington and i got the bus for $20). car was exactly as described by them, and they test everything. bought it that morning, and got a good road test on the way back to auck. if you are flying in from europe, you can come in to christchurch, and that would be an awesome roadtest!!!

Sti's don't come with Wisco pistons standard aye?

So that mean the V7 Sti has been rebuilt, seems to have had a lot done to it, fuel rail's ecu etc.

Looks great tho but why would it need a rebuild have done less that 50 tho ks?

BlkPnthr']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

I would stay away from the 318 as it is only an 1800 cc performance would be poos :)

do like the red subie as it a pretty colour :) RED LIKE A FIRE ENGINE :)

/quote]

Haha, very thought out and logical reasoning there, i like it ;)

Crap performance, if you can even call it that but probably the best handling car of the bunch.

;)

All those cars have negative factors so I would keep looking.

subiv5 said:

Sti's don't come with Wisco pistons standard aye?

So that mean the V7 Sti has been rebuilt, seems to have had a lot done to it, fuel rail's ecu etc.

Looks great tho but why would it need a rebuild have done less that 50 tho ks?

It's got the same TMIC as mine too the barstard I'll have to find a strut brace like his me thinks

it could of been rebuild to run higher boost at 1st guess or its run a BEB which isn't un-heard of in a subaru with less than 50k

edit also has the car been painted as the engine bay is gray?

actually, i forgot about the evos, i am particular on the 5 and 6, but for the 20K you could get a bargain!!! they are great cars, and look the business too, and even though i am a subaru fan, nothing has really done it for me in recent years (until the latest STI arrived), so for 20k, i would say an EVO, but for the police line up, here are my picks

for $27k you could have one of these nice sleepers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mazda/3/auction-237608278.htm

or the sedan version

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mazda/M6/auction-237403677.htm

but, if we are gonna talk $50k then you cant go past one of these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Impreza/auction-234520089.htm

or these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/LANCER/auction-237393798.htm

or these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mazda/auction-238178003.htm

The S401 is awsome but a bit high priced. My first choice would be the V7 Spec C just dont like that bumper could always swap it for another V7 bumper...

There is this but the bumper on this is equally ugly. Looks WRX'y.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-227210259.htm

What about this? But its blue ::)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-235762326.htm

If you can stretch the budget then this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-237916397.htm

Great for the mountain, plus chucking bikes and boards in the back

Cheap Version 8?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/auction-237056943.htm