Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gen 3 Legacy GTB vs Gen 4 Legacy GT

darkchief1

Hey all,

I've been debating this with myself over the past few months now and I keep flipping on what I would want, so I'm looking for some opinions on the gens (compared if possible).

By Gen 3 Legacy, this would be a Rev. D GTB Manual, and the Gen 4 would be an auto (pref face-lift) GT. This may sound a bit weird comparing an auto a manual in different gens, but I can't justify the manual Gen 4 prices due to how infrequently I'd use the car, but when I want to use it, I want the fun of a turbo. 

This car would definitely weekend driver, I don't drive to work so I don't have to worry about a daily commute. I know the fuel economy of the Gen 4s are a lot better than the 3s, but I also know that the 3s have a the rumble due to the UELs that the 4s don't have, and by gosh who doesn't love the boxer rumble. 

I know that the Gen 3s are known to spin bearings and I'd get into sorting out the tune ASAP, and living in Welly the thought of throwing myself into the deep end with a manual when I've only driven manual a handful of times is a bit scary, but I'm up to the challenge. I would worry that the fun of a new car would wear off a bit quicker if it was an auto, but I wouldn't worry about traffic lights on hills or trying to park in the city because autos are basically cheating in the city lol.

So, what would everyone's thoughts be on the comfort for long-haul trips, short quick rips through twisties, general fit and finish of the interior etc of the two?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Got me a tactrix and for the Rev D I know there are tunes lurking around, plus it would be pretty cool to actually learn and understand what my car is doing with it's tune if I was to start mucking with it myself. 

I know there are tuners who do e-tunes for the Gen 4, Cryotune is a name I've seen around a bit, and their tunes are actually pretty reasonable for what you get from them so it would be the cost range of of free to a few hundred to get a tune sorted, so that isn't much of a price factor.

I know the smart move is to get the Gen 4, but something about the Gen 3 just keeps grabbing at me haha

• Like 1

• Admin
14 hours ago, darkchief1 said:

Got me a tactrix and for the Rev D I know there are tunes lurking around, plus it would be pretty cool to actually learn and understand what my car is doing with it's tune if I was to start mucking with it myself. 

I know there are tuners who do e-tunes for the Gen 4, Cryotune is a name I've seen around a bit, and their tunes are actually pretty reasonable for what you get from them so it would be the cost range of of free to a few hundred to get a tune sorted, so that isn't much of a price factor.

I know the smart move is to get the Gen 4, but something about the Gen 3 just keeps grabbing at me haha

have a browse of some of these  http://pc.cd/P91rtalK

7 hours ago, thewabbit1 said:

have a browse of some of these  http://pc.cd/P91rtalK

Have got that on a portable hard drive somewhere, on my google drive (I think) and on both my Mac and Windows partitions on my Macbook haha. Thanks for linking it though, now I know a place on the forums I can go straight to for them, as opposed to digging through Marky's OG post.

Are there any more tunes lying around for them? Or is this the whole collection? I don't think I've seen any others in my forum hunts

• Admin
47 minutes ago, darkchief1 said:

Have got that on a portable hard drive somewhere, on my google drive (I think) and on both my Mac and Windows partitions on my Macbook haha. Thanks for linking it though, now I know a place on the forums I can go straight to for them, as opposed to digging through Marky's OG post.

Are there any more tunes lying around for them? Or is this the whole collection? I don't think I've seen any others in my forum hunts

Think thats it, i haven't found any more

Id recommend Gen 4, just as everything about it is just better (more reliable?, better interior, lighter, more modern etc). Idk about the auto tho as I got the manual but id imagine they are still pretty fun to drive. living in welly as well, sometime i wish i had save some money and got the auto but then again the thought get superseeded pretty quick when im boosting through all 6 gears

• Like 1

• Admin

Honestly the third gen interior feels more solid. The 4th Gen (can we start calling them by their chassis designation? I assume we're talking BP/BL and BH/BE?) is way more plasticy, and has issues like the dashes cracking like a crazy thing, especially if imported from somewhere that got properly cold like the northern end of Japan.

Setting that aside, the BP/BL is a way, way better car. Especially if you get a somewhat "specced" one with the leather or part leather interior... I'm assuming they all come with Bilsteins and the simply enormous front brakes?

The 5EAT kinda sucks in stock form, but if you get the firmware update from Subaru and drive it in "Sport" then it's a bit better.

On 5/05/2020 at 7:52 PM, thewabbit1 said:

Think thats it, i haven't found any more

Sweet, wasn't just me missing things haha

On 8/05/2020 at 5:57 PM, krutpong said:

Id recommend Gen 4, just as everything about it is just better (more reliable?, better interior, lighter, more modern etc). Idk about the auto tho as I got the manual but id imagine they are still pretty fun to drive. living in welly as well, sometime i wish i had save some money and got the auto but then again the thought get superseeded pretty quick when im boosting through all 6 gears

Yeah I'd like the convinience for the city but getting out of the city I'd be worried the auto would get a bit boring after 15 - 20 minutes, even with over double the HP of my current car on tap

On 9/05/2020 at 11:53 AM, boon said:

Honestly the third gen interior feels more solid. The 4th Gen (can we start calling them by their chassis designation? I assume we're talking BP/BL and BH/BE?) is way more plasticy, and has issues like the dashes cracking like a crazy thing, especially if imported from somewhere that got properly cold like the northern end of Japan.

Setting that aside, the BP/BL is a way, way better car. Especially if you get a somewhat "specced" one with the leather or part leather interior... I'm assuming they all come with Bilsteins and the simply enormous front brakes?

The 5EAT kinda sucks in stock form, but if you get the firmware update from Subaru and drive it in "Sport" then it's a bit better.

To me, the interior of the BH seems more "driver focused" for some reason, when it really isn't when comparing the two, not sure why. 

Logically the BP seems the way to go, with the oil filters in the banjo bolts being one of the biggest problems for the engine, which isn't actually a big problem in the scheme of things.

As for trim level, no clue what I'd get. The prices for the BP seem all over the place to me based on what I've seen, so it seems like a lot could be fair game.

That firmware update from Subaru, is that free or does one have to pay for it? And I've heard of "tuning" the trans, which would (based off of what I've read) just be changing line pressures so that the trans knows when to shift a bit better based on current torque and it might have been throttle position? Can't quite remember, and I haven't looked into it too much either. Sadly it's not tuning like different boost levels on different modes of the Si-Drive system - that'd be sick!

• Admin

The trash dash really was a sour point for me, it probably was the biggest thing that convinced me to move on. 

Besides that I really rated the interior, mine was well specced with full leather and almost everything else which made it quite a nice place to be.

The 4th gens are a much better base for modifications with a lot more parts available even with auto versions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2020 at 8:30 PM, darkchief1 said:

Sweet, wasn't just me missing things haha

Yeah I'd like the convinience for the city but getting out of the city I'd be worried the auto would get a bit boring after 15 - 20 minutes, even with over double the HP of my current car on tap

To me, the interior of the BH seems more "driver focused" for some reason, when it really isn't when comparing the two, not sure why. 

Logically the BP seems the way to go, with the oil filters in the banjo bolts being one of the biggest problems for the engine, which isn't actually a big problem in the scheme of things.

As for trim level, no clue what I'd get. The prices for the BP seem all over the place to me based on what I've seen, so it seems like a lot could be fair game.

That firmware update from Subaru, is that free or does one have to pay for it? And I've heard of "tuning" the trans, which would (based off of what I've read) just be changing line pressures so that the trans knows when to shift a bit better based on current torque and it might have been throttle position? Can't quite remember, and I haven't looked into it too much either. Sadly it's not tuning like different boost levels on different modes of the Si-Drive system - that'd be sick!

I have a face-lift BP, it's auto and I have to admit I don't like the way it shifts too slow even using paddles and always wants to get to high gear asap.  I always drive it in sport sharp because of this.  

I do have a Blitz Si drive controller which gives me multiple boost settings and changes things a little.  I run 1 bar daily. 

My car has a full stainless HKS exhaust as well.  I do miss that subbie rumble of the exhaust a bit.  

You can get parts I've seen online for trans that they say makes it shift like DGS trans which would be so awesome. 

I have spoken to Subaru here in Hamilton about an ecu update but I have to book it in before they will even tell me if there's an update for it.  I was quoted around the $100 mark.  

I prefer definitely prefer them over BH legacys, I do have the dreaded cracked dash in mine though but it had enough goodies on it for me to look past that.  

Edited by driftrex

On 22/05/2020 at 12:08 PM, driftrex said:

I have a face-lift BP, it's auto and I have to admit I don't like the way it shifts too slow even using paddles and always wants to get to high gear asap.  I always drive it in sport sharp because of this.  

I do have a Blitz Si drive controller which gives me multiple boost settings and changes things a little.  I run 1 bar daily. 

My car has a full stainless HKS exhaust as well.  I do miss that subbie rumble of the exhaust a bit.  

You can get parts I've seen online for trans that they say makes it shift like DGS trans which would be so awesome. 

I have spoken to Subaru here in Hamilton about an ecu update but I have to book it in before they will even tell me if there's an update for it.  I was quoted around the $100 mark.  

I prefer definitely prefer them over BH legacys, I do have the dreaded cracked dash in mine though but it had enough goodies on it for me to look past that.  

Ah, really? I hate how my 02' Galant shifts so slow, gets to me big time sometimes haha. I mean I wouldn't expect DSG speeds from the GT but I'd still like it to be quick. The Blitz Si drive controller I did not know about. Would you recommend something like this? I'm also gathering you've had it tuned?

I'd defs get some kind of exhaust, most likely axle-back, maybe some blasties or something silly haha. Real shame the USDM GTs got the UEL headers and we didn't.

Bit of a shame you have to pay that much for a potential no at the end of it, but if you do end up going for it, do keep me in the loop. I feel like I'll be looking around for a bit, saving so I can throw more cash at it. 

Have you had a BH yourself? If it was manual, how did you find going to an auto BP?

22 hours ago, darkchief1 said:

Ah, really? I hate how my 02' Galant shifts so slow, gets to me big time sometimes haha. I mean I wouldn't expect DSG speeds from the GT but I'd still like it to be quick. The Blitz Si drive controller I did not know about. Would you recommend something like this? I'm also gathering you've had it tuned?

I'd defs get some kind of exhaust, most likely axle-back, maybe some blasties or something silly haha. Real shame the USDM GTs got the UEL headers and we didn't.

Bit of a shame you have to pay that much for a potential no at the end of it, but if you do end up going for it, do keep me in the loop. I feel like I'll be looking around for a bit, saving so I can throw more cash at it. 

Have you had a BH yourself? If it was manual, how did you find going to an auto BP?

Yea I just find it really hangs inbetween gears too long.  Don't get me wrong it's still very quick power wise but if the dear change was tidied up it would be a heap better. 

The Si drive controller was already in it when I got the car (first nz owner), it came with all the goodies from Japan, basically works as a boost controller mostly, gives me 4 boost settings, can also still use the normal si drive controls.  

I haven't had it tuned, unsure if it was tuned in Japan or not, hard to know cause someone spent money on it there. 

I've not owned a BH no, to be honest I hate the body shape of them, I've had a twin turbo BG5 manual, and a heavy modified GF8 manual.  Nothing really compares to a manual, but I'd have to say with the auto trans in the BP been sorted out it would be a weapon.   The motors are quick, and reliable as, mine has the VF45 turbo on it.  I'd definitely go for a face-lift if you do go for a BP. 

I really like the shape of them, much more sportier look than the boxy BH. 

I'd love a full tune done, I've heard really good gains to be had on these. 

36 minutes ago, driftrex said:

Yea I just find it really hangs inbetween gears too long.  Don't get me wrong it's still very quick power wise but if the dear change was tidied up it would be a heap better. 

The Si drive controller was already in it when I got the car (first nz owner), it came with all the goodies from Japan, basically works as a boost controller mostly, gives me 4 boost settings, can also still use the normal si drive controls.  

I haven't had it tuned, unsure if it was tuned in Japan or not, hard to know cause someone spent money on it there. 

I've not owned a BH no, to be honest I hate the body shape of them, I've had a twin turbo BG5 manual, and a heavy modified GF8 manual.  Nothing really compares to a manual, but I'd have to say with the auto trans in the BP been sorted out it would be a weapon.   The motors are quick, and reliable as, mine has the VF45 turbo on it.  I'd definitely go for a face-lift if you do go for a BP. 

I really like the shape of them, much more sportier look than the boxy BH. 

I'd love a full tune done, I've heard really good gains to be had on these. 

I swear that I've seen people changing the transmission shift patterns, maybe changing some kind of pressure tables or something? so I guess it could be possible to do, if I'm remembering correctly. I had a bit of a google for the control unit, and it is apparently plug and play with Si drive cars, only needing the boost pressure fed into it. Now that could be a slick investment!

I was dead-set on a BG5 for the longest time, a twin-sunroof limited would be wicked. Saw a couple of the BG5 limited scoobs over the weekend, almost thought of it as a sign haha. Not a fan of not being able to tune them yourself like you can with the Rev D BH, and the BP of course. Also highly respect the GF8, I'm all about the wagons and by the sounds of it you are too haha. The face-lift looks so much sportier, curvier, but in a good way compared to the PFL. Why'd you switch to the auto BP after those two?

Ever looked into what Cryotune do with their e-tunes? For the price I reckon I'd be keen to give that a crack, after I got sick of the stock response that is!

28 minutes ago, iludez said:

Having owned a few of both. I'd go for the BP, I have a soft spot for the looks of a bh but that's about it everything else is just better.

Definitely leaning towards the BP, as it seem like they are more reliable car and given I can only have 1 car in the city, I don't have the luxury of having my car down or parked off the street for weeks waiting until I can afford to fix any issues. For some reason I've gotten it in my head that soon after I got a BH I'd spin a bearing and that'd be it, rip my only vehicle.