Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aftermarket turbo choice

Username

Haven't been on here for a few years but I'm out of touch of the current turbos on offer. 

I'm looking to get the car retuned,  remove flexi fuel and upgrade turbo but I would like to hit same power on 98 with new turbo as the setup with e85. 

The car has had everything modified on it,  the short block is built to take 1000hp but I only run it at 405kwatw on e85 30psi boost on the very first gen gtx3071 r turbo with 0.63 ex  housing. 

I want to replicate these numbers but with a new generation turbo which should give at least 20% power increase over current turbo but been out of touch so interested what the beat choice would be these days,  I'm leaning towards g30 660 or 770 options but open to all turbo types. Even thinking gt25 would suit. I Got no interest in Steve murch turbos so discount him. 

Help would be appreciated. Txs

Edited by Username

If you interested in what the G25 or G30 will do, then Speed Academy has a through video on it with their STI. 

Links here:

They then upgrade to the G30-660 

But before most of that, they have a direct comparison on the dyno with another GTX3071R

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby said:

If you interested in what the G25 or G30 will do, then Speed Academy has a through video on it with their STI. 

Links here:

They then upgrade to the G30-660 

But before most of that, they have a direct comparison on the dyno with another GTX3071R

Thanks some good videos. I am leaning towards going g25 660 as I want better response. The last video is with a gen 2 version of my turbo,  I only have the gen 1 turbo so perhaps this would give me what I want on 98 Ron and same boost. Seems g30 660 definitly would. 

I'm not that bothered about higher hp up top, more interested in response. 400wkw is quick enough really. Just unsure if the g25 will get there on 98 and not the e85 I needed on the old 3071 turbo. 

18 hours ago, Bobby said:

It probably wont get there on 98. 

Maybe I need to just keep the flexi fuel and go g30 . Nice video , haven't seen that before dont think i would use pbms was going e and h but the fact they lock the ecus after tuning has stopped me.pickimg them too. 

340 kwatw is good just wished he stated boost pressure. As mine is not a daily i should probably stick to g30 770. Need to find tuner now. 

Edited by Username

2 hours ago, Username said:

Maybe I need to just keep the flexi fuel and go g30 . Nice video , haven't seen that before dont think i would use pbms was going e and h but the fact they lock the ecus after tuning has stopped me.pickimg them too. 

340 kwatw is good just wished he stated boost pressure. As mine is not a daily i should probably stick to g30 770. Need to find tuner now. 

I may be wrong but don't quite a lot of tuners lock the ECU's? 

Just had my car tuned at EnH and happy as with the result and they a good folk to deal with.

17 hours ago, ginganinja said:

I may be wrong but don't quite a lot of tuners lock the ECU's? 

Just had my car tuned at EnH and happy as with the result and they a good folk to deal with.

Not in my experience to be honest, car has been tuned by:

GCP

DTech

HItech 

None of these locked the ecu. 

5 hours ago, preim said:

I would also have no concerns recommending Dave at Tune Technic if you are closer to West Auckland.

Haven't heard of them, dont mind travelling if tuner is worth it.

If you're happy to wait a few months, you can get some real world experience off me with my EFR8474. 2.5L sleeved block etc. Shooting for 500kw. All the pre work into choosing all the parts indicate should hit full boost by 3500-4000rpms and pull all the way to 8000rpm at about 30psi on e85. 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 6:13 PM, boon said:

Borgwarners are magical. Throw an 8474 at it and find out what your block can do.

I don't know s***e about the G series, sorry.

I was hoping for some feedback on these as I know nothing about them they are more expensive  aren't they? Block was built to handle 1000hp. 

On 23/02/2021 at 9:34 PM, Niran said:

If you're happy to wait a few months, you can get some real world experience off me with my EFR8474. 2.5L sleeved block etc. Shooting for 500kw. All the pre work into choosing all the parts indicate should hit full boost by 3500-4000rpms and pull all the way to 8000rpm at about 30psi on e85. 

I'm in no rush and sounds great txs. My car has sat in the shed on stands for 18 months another few wont hurt. Only concern is u have 2.5 L  mine is basically 2.1. Who is building yours and running it. Are u worried about getting e85 now?

On 23/02/2021 at 10:22 PM, Gripless said:

The gen 2 seems to offer a lot more than the gen 1 from all the over seas retune and upgrade tests.

I went with the EFR as it’s pretty much the best spool you can get.

but low front mount turbo will do even quicker turbo spool.

How did u establish it's the best turbo for spool up?  Going to stick twisted setup for now too much work relocating to fog light cover area is what I think your basically saying. 

Low mount is on a lot of builds, even moved to factory low mount as it’s more efficient. Look at some of the beatle ej conversions they have done it a few times. Skid factory builds as well.

It’s pretty basic just  minimising losses in the exhaust before the turbo.

mine is built for 850whp but that’s only as a new stock crank was used. I’m going for fast spool and quick response so mine will be around 500hp. 

Have you modelled any of the turbos, though all should be better than your current one.

the EFR has some nice feature which aren’t popular with some. Mainly the titanium alloy turbine which is glued onto the shaft.  It I suspect that’s what give it the rpm limit and you’ll need a speed sensor if pushing them. Also makes them a rip and replace rather than repair in some cases.