Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Equal length headers on v7 sti

Yes another thread on this topic...

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience putting equal length headers on their single scroll motor. The internet and my tuner said there are definitly good gains even with stock turbos if you get a decent set of headers. Quicker spool, higher power/torque, better cylinder temp control etc. I know it changes the noise but pretty much everyone that has done the swap say they like how it sounds and don't regret it for the gains. Twin scroll subarus still sounds like a subaru.

I'm not fully convinced it's worth it but want to hear other people's thoughts.

I have... better spool and torque, it's true. Not huge gains on paper,  but the butt dyno notices.

I have a twin scroll up pipe too... that would be important I think... need to keep the pulses separate all the way to the turbo.

I prefer the sound too. The rumble just makes me look around for where the boy racer is these days :)

Edited by Loren

11 minutes ago, Loren said:

I have... better spool and torque, it's true. Not huge gains on paper,  but the butt dyno notices.

I have a twin scroll up pipe too... that would be important I think... need to keep the pulses separate all the way to the turbo.

I prefer the sound too. The rumble just makes me look around for where the boy racer is these days :)

Ok good to hear. I do hear a lot of people like the way they sound.

So what brand headers did you use? 

If you used twin scroll headers does that mean you had to change out the sump etc? 

5 minutes ago, Subru said:

Ok good to hear. I do hear a lot of people like the way they sound.

So what brand headers did you use? 

If you used twin scroll headers does that mean you had to change out the sump etc? 

I used Subaru v9 STi headers... they are purportedly better than most or all off the shelf aftermarket headers.

You have to change the sump and dipstick... oh and the oil pickup and possibly the windage tray... I don't remember changing that though.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

• Admin

I had Prova equal lengths on mine. Good header with a stock turbo, honestly I thought they sounded decent too. Had a tendency to crack once I went to a big turbo.

Gains were, as described, likely minimal on paper but the car felt nice to drive.

I've gone to Legacy Twin Scrolls + up-pipe on the latest attempt at making the car better, had to change sump, dipstick and dipstick guide tube, and the pickup.

• Like 1

Okay. Subaru EL headers definitly way cheaper then a good set of aftermarket ones and won't crack. So the twin scroll uppipe must be able to bolt onto single scroll turbos? 

I might look into this. My tune and everything is still a month away.

26 minutes ago, Subru said:

Okay. Subaru EL headers definitly way cheaper then a good set of aftermarket ones and won't crack. So the twin scroll uppipe must be able to bolt onto single scroll turbos? 

I might look into this. My tune and everything is still a month away.

Well you have to find some first... legacy headers are easy to get, but they have narrower pipes at the exhaust port side.

I had to import mine because no one had any in NZ... at least no one was selling them!

Once you have paid for the sump, headers/up pipe, shipping and had the turbo flange modified, you might be spending about the same or more than good aftermarket headers. 

in my opinion you don't need to hold up the tune for these headers... you can get your tune... change the headers later, and if you are worried just get the tune checked and tweaked if it even needs it.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

• Admin

From memory the SSI/NZKW ones have the same internal pipe size as the STI twin scroll ones at he heads but no idea further on at the merges. That's an easy way to go as you're not pissing around merging two pipes into one with a new flange for your turbo. 

Can't be bothered spending anymore money at this stage so I'm going to attempt to port the exhaust manifold and uppipe. A lot of people claim decent results for spool.

No point taking much material off as everything lines up pretty well already and im not porting the heads.Just gonna remove casting marks and smooth it out. I'll also port uppipe to match the slightly larger td05 to make a smooth transition. 

I have my doubts it will do much but we shall see.

Got my makita die grinder and drill attachments ready to go.

• Like 1

• Admin

I mean, fair enough. I run a V7 STi engine in my Type RA with STi twinscroll headers. Sounds absolutely wild when on boost. 

As for twinscroll vs single, twinscroll really does come on earlier and feels nicer throughout the range imho.

Worth the upgrade. 

4 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

I mean, fair enough. I run a V7 STi engine in my Type RA with STi twinscroll headers. Sounds absolutely wild when on boost. 

As for twinscroll vs single, twinscroll really does come on earlier and feels nicer throughout the range imho.

Worth the upgrade. 

It might be my next mod. Not in a hurry unless I can find some cheaply somewhere.

There is a v9 sti headers,uppipe, vf37 turbo only done 70000kms on trademe for 1.2k. I could sell the turbo for 600 plus buy sump and pickup etc plus uppipe modification. Its still close to 1k tho. If I can do it for under 700 I'd consider it.

• Admin
7 hours ago, pl0x said:

I've got a set of the bl/bp twin scroll headers which I'd let go for cheap but I'm not aware of decent turbos to suit the flange.

Yeah there’s nothing of decent size that is compatible. The biggest is the somewhat new TD04HLX-21TK that is apparently good for 350-380hp at the engine but hasn’t really been proven yet.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Yeah there’s nothing of decent size that is compatible. The biggest is the somewhat new TD04HLX-21TK that is apparently good for 350-380hp at the engine but hasn’t really been proven yet.

There's heaps available.... You just gotta twist the turbskis xD 

I found an auction on trademe for the following gear: Equal length twin scroll headers, uppipe, oil sump, pickup and dipstick. Only costed me $300 so its relatively low risk if I don't like it.

What's the best way to go about modifying uppile to suit my single scroll turbo?

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Subru said:

I found an auction on trademe for the following gear: Equal length twin scroll headers, uppipe, oil sump, pickup and dipstick. Only costed me $300 so its relatively low risk if I don't like it.

What's the best way to go about modifying uppile to suit my single scroll turbo?

I'm willing to bet you got Legacy ones. Which aren't bad. 

I can sell you a twinscroll to singlescroll up-pipe if you'd like. That's $150 but you'll spend 5x as much getting one made or twisted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dairusire said:

I'm willing to bet you got Legacy ones. Which aren't bad. 

I can sell you a twinscroll to singlescroll up-pipe if you'd like. That's $150 but you'll spend 5x as much getting one made or twisted.

Okay. I'll pm you.

Another option would be to get a twin scroll exhaust housing but I talked to turbo care who said there are no good ones out there that are any good.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Subru said:

Okay. I'll pm you.

Another option would be to get a twin scroll exhaust housing but I talked to turbo care who said there are no good ones out there that are any good.

Yeah, you could reach out to GCG turbo in AUS, as they could make one, but you could say goodbye to north of 3k

Otherwise, you could find a blown legacy twinscroll turbo, send it to murch and be like "I want power plz" and he'll build you a new turbo. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Yeah, you could reach out to GCG turbo in AUS, as they could make one, but you could say goodbye to north of 3k

Otherwise, you could find a blown legacy twinscroll turbo, send it to murch and be like "I want power plz" and he'll build you a new turbo. 

Haha yeah. Unfortunately I already have a new turbo-care single scroll td05 18g sitting here. If I knew I would have gotten a TS turbo to begin with. Not too worried tho

Still wating for response about buying the twinscroll-single scroll uppipe but If I have to get one custom made up I doubt ill have time before the tune. Unless there's any aftermarket options already available?

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Subru said:

Still wating for response about buying the twinscroll-single scroll uppipe but If I have to get one custom made up I doubt ill have time before the tune. Unless there's any aftermarket options already available?

Sorry bud, Have replied to you just now :)

• Thanks 1

I'm interested to compare equal length vs unequal on stock turbo with no other changes so would it be safe driving it for a few days without a tune touch up? 

Then I can do turbo etc just before the tune.