Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

Equal length headers on v7 sti

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Subru said:

I'm interested to compare equal length vs unequal on stock turbo with no other changes so would it be safe driving it for a few days without a tune touch up?

Then I can do turbo etc just before the tune.

Theoretically there shouldn't be any issue as your total flow is still limited by the factory turbo. if anything the engine should run a little healthier as they've got individual runners a lot further from the port. 

I wouldn't worry about driving it before the tune, just don't be a savage on it incase it does introduce a significant change to your engine. 

1 minute ago, Dairusire said:

Theoretically there shouldn't be any issue as your total flow is still limited by the factory turbo. if anything the engine should run a little healthier as they've got individual runners a lot further from the port. 

I wouldn't worry about driving it before the tune, just don't be a savage on it incase it does introduce a significant change to your engine. 

Ok. Should definitely be more knock resistant due to equal cylinder Temps etc. Mainly want to see the spool difference so I don't need to go too hard on it to find out. I'm very interested to see what difference it makes. 

• Admin
Just now, Subru said:

Ok. Should definitely be more knock resistant due to equal cylinder Temps etc. Mainly want to see the spool difference so I don't need to go too hard on it to find out. I'm very interested to see what difference it makes. 

Just so we're clear, I'm NOT certain you will see spool differences when still using a single scroll turbo. When using a twinscroll turbo that's actually made for it, yeah you would. 

Don't boost it without a dyno check first... you don't know for sure that it won't knock, and that will kill your motor within the blink of an eye.

Edited by Loren

1 hour ago, Loren said:

Don't boost it without a dyno check first... you don't know for sure that it won't knock, and that will kill your motor within the blink of an eye.

Even with just new EL headers?

I reckon it'll spool a bit better even twin scroll header to single scroll turbo. I wouldn't be boosting it to much, probably would be fine but not worth risking imo

2 hours ago, Subru said:

Even with just new EL headers?

Don't you have a new turbo ?

2 hours ago, pl0x said:

I reckon it'll spool a bit better even twin scroll header to single scroll turbo. I wouldn't be boosting it to much, probably would be fine but not worth risking imo

I reckon it's a coin toss.

The single scroll has the advantage of shorter header pipes on cylinder 1 and 3... that helps spool. Mainly talking about stock unequal length headers here... aftermarket aren't as tight.

The twin scroll have the advantage of no interfering pulses and better flow up top.

Edited by Loren

Yeah I have the turbo and few other bits however ill install that just before the tune. Then the tuner will install link ecu and injectors on the dyno.

I would have guessed even pulses would beat having the slightly shorter pipes on two cylinders in terms of spool and power.

Chiming in via sound - they sound wicked with Equal length headers. still has the rumble at idle but sound like an imbred evo/wrx on boost its wild. regret not getting them but will look into it shortly once I make up my mind on selling or not haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J CHILN said:

Chiming in via sound - they sound wicked with Equal length headers. still has the rumble at idle but sound like an imbred evo/wrx on boost its wild. regret not getting them but will look into it shortly once I make up my mind on selling or not haha

Yeah I can't wait. Have been listening to some clips including @Lorens car and they definitly sound great. I also have rcm/samco turbo inlet and intake so should get some nice spool nose too.

• Like 3

• Admin

I've finally committed to EL for mine. I'd been tossing up using Niran’s old headers but grabbed a set of EL headers with the same uppipe location to replace the old UEL ones he was running. It's just a more mature sound that doesn't attract the same attention as usual boxer sound. 

• Like 4