Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

• General Member

pfft I aint changed squat (recently) :P (check the mod logs)

should it be 5 4 3 2 1 blues for committee? if so which order?> Pres>VP>Capt.>Tres>sec?

all are as important as each other : cant operate without some esp sec and treasurer who I value the most (do the real hard work)

yea I'm having a tuf day : can you feel the LOVE

If its a light amount that you dont really need to worry. I would clean the piping out and see how much collects in a week.

Alternatively if you're too lazy (yeah I know its a pita to remove the whole thing) and you have a atmo venting bov then you could check to see if its spitting oil. Probably be evident by oil on the underneath of the bonnet/around where the bov sits.

If its getting oily quite fast you have some problems somewhere. If its just light then you could fit a catch can.

wrx_lou said:

If its a light amount that you dont really need to worry. I would clean the piping out and see how much collects in a week.

Alternatively if you're too lazy (yeah I know its a pita to remove the whole thing) and you have a atmo venting bov then you could check to see if its spitting oil. Probably be evident by oil on the underneath of the bonnet/around where the bov sits.

If its getting oily quite fast you have some problems somewhere. If its just light then you could fit a catch can.

So what causes the oil i had light oil build up in my tmic and atmo bov when i had it all apart i gave it a good clean and it hasn't come back yet but i'm wondering where is the oil would be coming from if i don't want to fit a catch can?

Can i block off those breather pips on the block as well i saw them when the manifold was off?

It comes from the PVC system, it uses the draw from your intake to suck the bad oil vapours from the crank case, factory theres nothing to seperate those vapours out of the air so it gets pulled back into the intake before the turbo which puts a thin layer of oil vapour over the inside of your turbo, intercooler and inlet manifold.

At normal power levels its not too much of a problem, but once you start upping the boost/power or your engine gets alot of blow by that vapour increases, so it pays to degrease your intercooler every now and then, as oil vapour lovers the octane levels of your air/fuel mix making it more prone to detonation, which is one of the main causes of running a big end bearing in a suby.

If you put in a atmo venting catch can it will stop the oil vapour getting into the intake completely but it will no longer be sucking those bad gasses from the crank case.

If you use a quality air oil seperator like the crawford performance one, you can still have it connected to the intake but its pulls most of the oil out of the vapour before it gets sucked back into the intake.

• 3 weeks later...

Next dumb question- why is there so much misinformation or incorrect classification and facts about our subie models on the net.

I understand there are euro, jap, usdm spec models.

Though not many websites have made the distinction.

For example- I think wiki mentioned that only the v4 Sti was the first engine with forged pistons??

Also for the same car/spec- why are horsepower numbers are all over the place.

There's only one site (cars catalogue) that I trust looking at specs.

jobasa said:

J/W how different garage painting your car with spray cans matched for your cars paint eg paint code and gas cap match, would you notice after buffing, would there be a massive difference?

I used to work at a place called auto paint in Auckland did colour matching and apart cans .. It will depend on the type of colour ie solid red or white vs gun metal grey or even silver .. Solid colours are kinda easy to spray out of a can as long as ur prep is sweet and the match was done to the same area ... Some places will do colour matching while u wat to like bumpers etc as for your silvers u have to apply so the paint looks wet with out letting it run give it a couple of good coats and one kinda dust coat as this will help the metallic stand on its edges a little more and then u have to clear coat it same princaple get it looking wet without runs ... If u can try to lightly heat the area ur going to paint this will prefent it "blooming" ( a white cloudy look) and apply heat after the job is done ... If possible ... Just a nice warm temp nothing too hot or u will fry the paint ...

anyone know where to get grille mesh from?

thinking about tidying my RFRB grille up, , needs a couple of bits of paint touched up so might replace & tidy the mesh up while im at it, might replace the subbie star badge bogged to the middle of it with an RS badge off to the passengers side or leave it clear haven't decided yet will probably get a badge & see if it looks any good before i commit

BINKZ said:

dumb question.... lol ;D

why do some WRX STi's come with "subaru" branded brakes yet others come with brembo?

what is the difference?

brembos only came on the v7+ sti's - although not all of them!! pretty sure theres some newer RAs out there which came with dccd and no brembos?

anyway brembos are alot better than the 4pots. better braking! shorter braking distances

• Guest locked this topic