Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

jobasa said:

have you given the car yard a call? they may know

no they have no idea.

cant follow the wires back from alarm, would require depaneling half the car.

cant follow from alarm button either.

conceded defeat.

waste of a day FML.

BINKZ']

[quote name='jobasa said:

have you given the car yard a call? they may know

/quote]

no they have no idea.

cant follow the wires back from alarm, would require depaneling half the car.

cant follow from alarm button either.

conceded defeat.

waste of a day FML.

cancel that. still havent managed to identify what alarm system it is, but reset it and managed to find a set of instructions it listens to so that'll do

funkytown said:

eeeeeeeeek thats VERY BAD news.

you need to inspect the keyway (remove the crank pulley) and the crank pulley slot itself. IF its still a tight rectangle slot then do it all back up - f***ing tight and hope it spins in a harmonic manner.

might have come undone if not done up tight enough.

If the keyway is beveled out then its crank replacement time... (this is what happened to mine).

Not so! we can fix knackered keyways without pulling them apart

• 2 weeks later...

Have always used genuine Subaru coolant for the cars and never had problems. It's good stuff. Now I'm questioning how come it's so expensive compared to SuperCheap coolants.

Can anyone recommend coolant that's as good as genuine at a cheaper price? Or should I keep with what I'm using for long-term cooling, anti-rust, anti-freeze, etc?

How do you fix Compressor(?) Surge in a turbo?

That thing when you floor it and the car surges? larger turbo/greys/3"/ FMIC.

I have yellows, not installed though, but will a MAP sensor with a LINK fix the surge?

I dont have the problem if I dont floor it

Al_baru said:

Have always used genuine Subaru coolant for the cars and never had problems. It's good stuff. Now I'm questioning how come it's so expensive compared to SuperCheap coolants.

Can anyone recommend coolant that's as good as genuine at a cheaper price? Or should I keep with what I'm using for long-term cooling, anti-rust, anti-freeze, etc?

BNT sell Radtech Long Life Coolant Concertrate, its good stuff, it has the same "water wetting" technology as Redline Water Wetter, it helps your car run cooler.

With the redline stuff your not ment to mix it with long life coolant, where as the Radtech already is long life.

4.5L for about $40 bucks retail, I've got a bottle hear ready to go in my car.

Divine said:

I have yellows, not installed though, but will a MAP sensor with a LINK fix the surge?

How much bigger turbo?

Your probably just hitting boost cut, if thats the case its built into the ecu to stop you blowing up your engine, AFAIK its usually about 14psi in the pre v4 wrx's.

I link will fix the problem if thats whats happening, but so will a boost cut defender which I think are only a couple of hundred dollars tops, you could just turn the boost down a bit.

also be careful running a bigger turbo on the grey injectors

Maybe im missing something but...... car is nz v7 sti 100,000k. small amount of oil seems to be leaking from

the turbo to intercooler elbow pipe (red with a metal notch on the side) and covering hoses below and dripping on engine block. Pretty sure its originating from this pipe as is oily to touch and this is the hightest point of the oil trial.

Is this common. Always thought that only hot air would pass through this pipe and if there was a small amount of blowby oil would not be of quantity to cause a visual oil leak??

Either way realize I will need to replace the elbow, just wondering if anything else I should check out?

Going in for service in 1k so will get it done then.

the factory PCV setup ends up sucking the blow buy back into the intake, if its bad enough to leak out of that pipe there maybe something else wrong, if you buying the car I would pay to get a PROPER compression tect done, not a AA report one or a VTNZ one they are a simulated compression test, you need a mechanic to do a proper pressurised test.

Thanks will get PCV checked out. Have owned the car for 7 years and has been no prob so far other than

water pump issue and clutch. Have serviced every 6-8 k. Will get it sorted as want to keep it for a while yet. Car is running fine and oil level hasnt dropped over 5k so its not a lot of oil leaking but gonna check leak anyway

Divine said:

Thats not compressor surge.

compressor surge is when you come off boost and the air comes back out the turbo through the filter. Normally meaning a restriction in the system or too smaller bov or similar.

Surging on boost has different issues.

• Guest locked this topic