Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

You mean a high km engine or an engine with fukt stem seals or fukt rings or well maintained? Best case by case. If it starts chugging or puffing a bit try moving up to a 10W40 or 15W40 or the like. Running a predominately diesel spec oil will clean it up a touch as higher detergent.

Repco flyer is retarded - Mineral=good, semi=better and full=best. Um not the case what its going in defines what you need.

10W30 and 10W30 arent exactly equal either. You get different thinner/thicker ends of the 10 and the 30. It gets relatively complicated which is why the world has experts.

Im by no means an oil expert so Im not going to fight on it I just listen and read a lot. Get onto an oil that works for your wagon and stick with it. Changing oils can cause a burn off/smoky/usage as different build ups are targeted with different oil additives and a clean up occurs. Similar to a high grade oil in an old car it drinks it.

• General Member
 evowrx']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

Ah cool, Redline performance seem to be selling them really cheap. Not sure if there new or not but if they are seems a better idea than continuously buying used VF series.

/quote]

Those ones they did have were mgp or similar ex ching land. Bit different if it was a gen mhi chra or similar.

http://www.mgpracing.cn/products.asp?id=3

Ahh that explains the price I guess.

I\'m hoping what I have will last till early-mid next year and I\'m hoping to grab something fairly upmarket stock location. Just waiting to see if I get a contract extension with work.

I think my current VF22 is ok, still works fine and no smoke but its gotten noisey fast. I\'m gonna try a different oil I think. this is the second turbo thats gone from quiet to noisey quite quick on this oil.

Dude I know used to work there said they had a mixed bag with the TD06 of that variety. Would make late 200wkw but some did have issues iirc.

Just get ceramics thrown in it? Not that you need quicker spool but the VF have more in them than 440cc injectors do and it would make it a whole lot more reliable.

Trya 10W30 see how you find it wouldnt have thought it would massively effect it tho. Did have a customer last week come back after oil changing with agip hes in 5th now up a steep grade as opposed to 4th. First young dude Ive heard say it but all the old mech swear it lowers temps, better economy, less noise, oil usage dries up etc.

Worth noting Possum ran 10W30 over 10W40 in his cars back in the 90\'s according to the ex bp oil chemist we use nationally. Said it revved better with less issues.

If oil pressures good dw but maybe running feed from oil filter block or main gallery would work better?

...and have to ask what oil are you running?

Using Valvoline VR1 10W-40 for the last few changes. To its credit two track days with some limiter bashing and no engine issues as such just a couple of VF turbos going from quiet to whiney.

I know VFs are supposed to whine I just dont know how loud is loud lol. No oil pressure issues or anything either.

At this point I dont drive it much and I have had my eye on a SC40 to go with my bigger injectors for ages. Finally looking like a reality early next year so I\'m not overly stressed just thought if I can change up the oil and extend its life I will.

I\'ve run 10w-60 the whole time i\'ve owned the vehicle, been too scared to run anything else for when it gets driven hard, not that into running bearings. But have looked at thinner oils and wondered if I dare try it

How often do you change oil when you do a trackday?

Roo - Why would it run a bearing? My forged libero had an absolute raping from day dot for almost 50thou km. Thrashed it cold, drove like a crazy and sooo many limit dumps. No issue on 10W40 semi well not oil related lol.

• Admin

Something is fully messed up there. 2004 STI with a 5MT? I don\'t think so.

EDIT: I don\'t know how much you can actually tell from the NZ VIN

Edit2:

7A8 = NZTA

GF = Subaru

09 = Impreza

07 = Type Code - Passenger Vehicle?

07 = Year VIN was issued

014251 = 6 digit code that may or may not be random, but should be the last 6 characters of the chassis

• Admin
 evowrx said:

HAB637 2004 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sti Saloon GDA-014251

EJ20-C120925

5MT dogbox perhaps? :D Could be a fuckup by cert lad.

Actually it\'s a fuckup by the guy who stuck a STI badge on a GDA WRX :)

It\'s a non-STI - GDA chassis, EJ20-C rather than EJ20-B

jimme18 said:

Hey guys

Just had my front bumper fixed now needs to be painted, toying with the idea of learning how to do it myself with a mate. How do I find the right paint and colour?

I assume it would be 2k paint (v2 sti in red)

On the passengers strut will be the colour code. Or go to an automotive paint supply shop and get some colour matched paint made up

Hold your hand over the valve when its idling funny if no air leaks out thats not your issue. Tried cleaning the IACV and borrowing a maf?

There is a recirc pipe under the mani that the stock valve spits back into but i cant see it in your pic is it plugged on the under mani intake? Actually looks like it hard right of pic but not where it normally sits.

I had zero issues with a non adjustable gfb 50/50 valve on my V5.

BOV was on the car when I got it so not sure. It doesn\'t idle funny as such, its more if i stab and let go the throttle itll rev up then drop down to like 200rpm then go back to normal idle. I though it might be a BOV issue, plus I get sick of the noise sometimes so was looking to replace it.

Does that sound like anything else it could be?

yep, same on my v6 forester. vacuum sucks the stock valve open, allowing it to recirculate off boost, and it slaps closed on boost.

atmo bov, the spring needs to be set so damn hard to keep it properly closed at idle that you end up with compressor surge and a really delayed opening.

i happen to be a big fan of the gfb valves that have at least the 50/50 setting. seems to keep everything fairly happy, good compromise kinda setup.

• Guest locked this topic