Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gc vs bc

Gator

ive always only ever liked two subys and still do but worship them all.. the coupe including 22b etc and the bc5 ive got v7 running gear box brakes diff hubs etc and 300kw on tap so it dosent feel anything like a standard bc but if i was given a choice of v3-v4 sti or standard bc id have to say v3.. light body close box best bloody cams out of the box and a vf22 vs fat ass soggy box rubbish hydo lifters and if yr lucky a td05..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DacerX said:

my hx20 is amazing on gas but rather my legacy for long trips

dave my we honda is good on gas...

i use 5.9L per 100km in my 76 honda civic at open road travel, i use it for work & then every fortnight to travel 309km one way from ashburton to the coast & do it in 3 hours only half an hour slower than the BC & goes round corners almost as well so can\'t complain about that.

Gator i\'d choose a tidy BC5 over the GC be it an RS GT or VZR non turbo 4wd as there are not as many about as i\'d like to see & well with a little supportive attention it\'ll still put a smile on ya face when you take it out for a strop.

i am biased but i would like a 22B that\'s about it though. :)

Ok so I\'m keeping an eye out for a sti in good nick,

will be ready to buy in about 5 weeks time.

Not fussed if wagon sedan or coupe. Must be tidy

If you know of or hear of anything let me know.

I will be hunting trademe so if its on there i have probably seen it.

Looking to spend about 7k a

Max

take your time you will be surprised how cheap you can get a tidy V5 sti with a bit of negogiating. speaking from experience.

and just to add GC Sti over BC anyday, bc will never be quick enough unless you spend cash modifying it. GC will be fast enough as it is. if you can try to find an RA then you have the DCCD which is a lot more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

so 1 month out till I can buy a car.

these two are on the top of my list (assuming their both there)

both IMO seem a little over priced thoughts.

GC = http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=673825983

BC = http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=696217414

now I know the wrx will be faster but you cant get away from how good that old legacy looks in black. remembering I will be adding a tracked alarm sounds (by Sound Q) and my gold 18x8.5 Rota g force (on the wrx I would probably plastidip them black - thoughts on this too) and my OZ racing Adjustable suspension. The wheels on either car are not important and will probably be sold.

also I am NOT building a track car this is for weekend cruising and road trips. Fuel economy need not apply.

If you see anything I have missed sing out. budget for the car is about 9K but I want to get the above mods in that figure. ish

You would probably lose less money on the legacy. Starting to get harder to find a good one whereas there\'s wrx\'s everywhere lol

I would be going the legacy out of those two if you can get it for a better price cause 6k is a bit much

Gator said:

so 1 month out till I can buy a car.

these two are on the top of my list (assuming their both there)

both IMO seem a little over priced thoughts.

GC = http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=673825983

BC = http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=696217414

now I know the wrx will be faster but you cant get away from how good that old legacy looks in black. remembering I will be adding a tracked alarm sounds (by Sound Q) and my gold 18x8.5 Rota g force (on the wrx I would probably plastidip them black - thoughts on this too) and my OZ racing Adjustable suspension. The wheels on either car are not important and will probably be sold.

also I am NOT building a track car this is for weekend cruising and road trips. Fuel economy need not apply.

If you see anything I have missed sing out. budget for the car is about 9K but I want to get the above mods in that figure. ish

Search the trademe thread, that WRX has some bad history.

I have to agree with Marky. Should consider a B4. They\'re a great ride and will handle when pushed.

I have owned a couple BC leggies. On RS sedan and one GT sedan. TBH as weird as this sounds I prefered the Auto GT. The full leather interior and its amazing cruising ability made it such a nice car to take out on a sunday for a drive down the coast. When I brought the GT it was stock and all I did to it was a nice 2.5inch exhaust a RELIABLE ecu chip which just tweaked the fuel maps for 98 and boost was raised from 7psi to 11psi. I also popped in a flat panal filter and because I don\'t like worn shocks I put in a set of munro GT gas shocks with Dobi sport springs (only 20 mm lower and about 30% firmer, I dont like super low cars) and then a guy I know at Otago tires got me a great deal on a whiteline 22mm rear sway bar.

Gotta say just the following mods completely changed the way the car felt. It went from being a nice gentle fairly quick cruiser to being a much quicker and more agile sports sedan. Being an auto it was not great around really tight stuff but on long sweeping corners like the road from dunedin to christchurch the suspension changes just made it stick to road so so nicely without feeling like it was on the edge at all (probably because I was nowhere near the limit lol) and the few power tweaks just made the engine come alive like I wouldn\'t ever have believed for the money.

exhaust (700 because I had my own muffler)

chip 400

shocks/springs 1000

sway bar 220

flat panel filter $80

Some nice ferroda sport brake pads and dot 5 fluid $250

Dunlop Direzza DZ 101 tires, set of 4 $800

Car was $1700

Mods were $3450

Total price for a great car that handled and had a pimping full leather interior $5150 (or $3950 if you were smarter than me and started with an RS rather than GT) lol

What my point is here is that for not a lot of money (3950) I managed to transform a GT legacy from quite a soggy thing into what I consider to this day the best sports sedan I have ever owned, even with the auto. And if I had of started with an RS I wouldn\'t have needed to do the suspension which would have made it even cheaper.

As it always happens with modded cars I ended up selling it for 3k I think but the point is that for not a huge amount of cash I had a car that at least I considered more fun on the whole than my friends V4 wrx which had cost him 11k.

I am not stupid tho, I know his car would have creamed mine around the corners or on a track but that\'s not what this thread is about.

So to the OP I say don\'t hesitate to buy a BC but I would be prepared to spend a little on it to bring it up to a level you will enjoy (depends what you like tho)

I will say this one last thing though, another flatmate brought a 2000 WRX RA that I managed to find for him for around 10k and that thing is just incredible in every way and it is stock as a rock. I know that might sound contradictory but what I am trying to say is that IF you intend on buying a GC chassis you might as well buy the one with the most development years behind it, a V5 or 6. Even in normal WRX form they are such amazing cars for the money. These days you should be able to pick up a normal v5/6 wrx for 7k and an RA for maybe 8-10 and the engines in them are much more reliable than the V3 and the interiors... well.... don\'t even go there lol, its Calvin Klein vs whatever shop sells those girls t-shirts that say "Juicy" on the back.

s*** I\'m looking at converting my legacy to stock and it\'s in similar condition in black and I\'d only be asking around 2k - 2.5k if I was looking to sell. 6k is a major rip off and that will never ever sell. For that sort of $ I would expect at least a rebuild with proof of receipts

The wrx looks like a decent buy but I would be checking out the history Timmah mentioned

My turn to reply now . . . .

There are too many variables to determine how the wagon on TM will perform and handle, but there\'s negligible difference between the sedan and the wagon in terms of weight and handling in stock form.

I have owned a facelift BF GT wagon for about five years, and it now has a rebuilt engine, manual conversion, Bilsteins, and a bunch of other stuff. I reckon it\'s the automotive equivalent of a Swiss army knife.

I drive it weekends and evenings mainly, and use it to do anything from minor errands to towing a trailer, carting dogs, picking up motorcycle bits, and generally going battle with traffic. I have the factory cross-bars for the roof-racks too, and have used them on occasions for bulky stuff such as ladders etc. But apart from the practical aspects, it is HUGE fun to drive!

Since finishing the engine & gearbox swap in June last year, my wagon has done 11,000km including a trip to Wanganui at Xmas. My wife was rather negative about the wagon initially, and thought I was wasting my time and our money doing the upgrade, but after the trip to Wanganui she is now quite enthusiastic. She and I both have the use of company vehicles, but prefer to use the BF.

As long as the body is structurally sound, the mechanicals can be upgraded endlessly by retro-fitting bits off later models. You can dial the car in to suit your own preferences and priorities. Not everything will necessarily fit, so do some research through the forums and in the trade to find out what works best.

Like any older vehicle purchase though, your biggest concerns should be condition and previous history, such as maintenance, prior accident damage, dodgy modifications, workmanship etc. From there, within reason, the main limits are your imagination and your wallet . . . .