Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Dre said:

They are tying in air bag recall with WOF.

Well there goes that idea. Wonder if one can get the part and install it yourself? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

eish.....starting to wonder if its worth the recall, All i see is horror stories.

 

Take photos before and after. You will need to do the recall soon, NZTA is going to start enforcing it.

Just now, HannesNel said:

Well there goes that idea. Wonder if one can get the part and install it yourself? 

 

And no you can't. Recall work has to be done by a Subaru NZ approved repairer.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HannesNel said:

Well there goes that idea. Wonder if one can get the part and install it yourself? 

Worth a try. Can't be that hard to do, look at the peanuts they have at the dealership doing it!!! But they'll probably give you some horse-S*** story about liability or some crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1randomkiwi said:

 

Take photos before and after. You will need to do the recall soon, NZTA is going to start enforcing it.

 

And no you can't. Recall work has to be done by a Subaru NZ approved repairer.

 

 

Any enforcement is still years away unless you fit the 04ish period which had the most dangerous inflator.

Most of us are on the waitlist at this point where the issue has been acknowledged but parts are not available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to take photos,include where the dash lines up with the door trims.If they don’t get this right you will have fitment issues with how the dash goes together eg. center pocket,side air vents and lower dash half.

Edited by Dre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the advise...I haven't received any recall letters or a reply to my letter. So for now it seems nothing has to be done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

eish.....starting to wonder if its worth the recall, All i see is horror stories.

This. I actually went to the outfit prior, to talk to them about it. I point blank said to him I've read on the internet about all the wrecked dashes etc, and I have actually seen 1 that had been wrecked, so if they wreck mine they'll be putting in a new one. He reassured me they have done heaps, worked out how to do it without wrecking anything blah blah blah. Well they didn't wreck the dash, just everything else!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HannesNel said:

Thanks for all the advise...I haven't received any recall letters or a reply to my letter. So for now it seems nothing has to be done

NZ new cars first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HannesNel said:

 

Edited by Dre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Maybe we should make a list of positive and negative feedback for each Subaru service centre for the recall work?

 

2 hours ago, HannesNel said:

eish.....starting to wonder if its worth the recall, All i see is horror stories.

 

Because we only do hear about it when they go "bad"

 

as above if there were more +'s for a particular workshop or Whitlelist then everyones happy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

 

Take photos before and after. You will need to do the recall soon, NZTA is going to start enforcing it.

 

And no you can't. Recall work has to be done by a Subaru NZ approved repairer.

 

.Take photos of more than just the dash, take them of the steering wheel, door trims, A pillars, head lining, seats, every single thing they might come into contact with while doing this job.

Edited by BMCracer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've just spent 1 1/2 hours in the garage cleaning up the interior after this airbag abortion job. Managed to get the scatch / scuff off the inside of the windscreen using coarse glass polish, then did it with fine, then cleaner and finally sealer. Gave the dash a thorough cleaning, and noticed there are big scratches on the top of the steering column cover ( piece between the steering wheel and the dash ), and the ring around the gear lever ( facelift car ) was not refitted properly and is sitting up proud at the front half. Tried to get that to sit down but no luck, so I'll have to have another go when I've got more time. Only way to fix the column cover is to get a new one. Same for the steering wheel that's got a big nick in it and torn the leather surface. Got to work this morning and opened the door to get out, and the trim panel on the end of the dash fell out, another piece not refitted properly. So I put that back in properly tonight, and also had to properly refit the lower footwell panel and the plastic trim piece the goes from the lower footwell panel to along the carpet edge on the sill.

 

Anyone got any recommendations for an ulpholstery cleaner for the A pillar trims and head lining? I just hope they aren't stained...….

 

Sent an email off to Subaru tonight too about all this, so see what happens. Not holding my breath though. Says on their website that all the Subaru Authorised dealers are independently owned and operated, which is probably why there is no email address for each one. I don't have time to waste to go to the shop to try to talk to them, when you know they'll deny everything anyway. So if I hear back from Subaru, once that's over I'll more than likely be telling you which shop to steer clear of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, A_J_T said:

@BMCracer I think its passed the point of giving them a chance to resolve it. That kind of damage simply shouldn't happen. There are a lot of us needing airbag recall work done so naming the shop as a precautionary measure for us would be awesome. We all understand that you are specifically warning us about Airbag recall work and not blanket stating that the shop is useless.. 

I don't agree with that, that it's specifically an airbag recall work issue. The guys at the shop that do the airbag jobs, are the same guys that do your regular service work. They don't get special people in just for the airbag jobs. What particular job they doing is irrelevant, if someone takes pride in their workmanship, they'll do every job with the same amount of care and attention whether it's a service job or a recall, whether it's on a piece of S*** 1986 Brumby or a brand new Forrester. If they don't give a S***, they won't give a S*** right across the board. BTW this logic applies to everyone, not just car mechanics. So I am going to say that yes, at least one guy at this shop is useless, and then I'm going to say the management at this shop is useless too for letting this kind of thing out the door back to the customer. And if management never ping the guy, he's going to think it's fine, and keep doing a sub-standard job. Then the others at the shop see him doing S*** work and getting away with it, so think why should they bother working harder to do a proper job, and they slack off too, and management never ping them either. And so it goes on, I'm sure you see where this is going.

 

Give me a day or so to hear back from Subaru, then I'll tell you who this shop is, and then you can make your own choices. I might have got them on a bad day, who knows, but why should that be my problem? There is no excuse for the state my car was given back to me in. A professional wouldn't have given my car back like that, he would've done it properly, bad day or not. If you can't get professional service at allegedly ( although self-proclaimed ) "one of New Zealand's most significant automotive dealership networks", with "a history of customer satisfaction that stretches back to 1932" ( again, self-proclaimed ), where else are you going to get it from? Back yard Joe down at Buckland?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 4 airbags replaced in 1 week a couple. Of months ago. Surprisingly they did good job on 3 but stuffed up the nicest car. It had most aftermarket gear in it and struggled to plug back in stereo and tablet etc properly. I even left my phone number with a note beside it saying any questions at all call me. There excuse was their apprentice didn't have much experience haha

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BMCracer said:

So I've just spent 1 1/2 hours in the garage cleaning up the interior after this airbag abortion job. Managed to get the scatch / scuff off the inside of the windscreen using coarse glass polish, then did it with fine, then cleaner and finally sealer. Gave the dash a thorough cleaning, and noticed there are big scratches on the top of the steering column cover ( piece between the steering wheel and the dash ), and the ring around the gear lever ( facelift car ) was not refitted properly and is sitting up proud at the front half. Tried to get that to sit down but no luck, so I'll have to have another go when I've got more time. Only way to fix the column cover is to get a new one. Same for the steering wheel that's got a big nick in it and torn the leather surface. Got to work this morning and opened the door to get out, and the trim panel on the end of the dash fell out, another piece not refitted properly. So I put that back in properly tonight, and also had to properly refit the lower footwell panel and the plastic trim piece the goes from the lower footwell panel to along the carpet edge on the sill.

 

Anyone got any recommendations for an ulpholstery cleaner for the A pillar trims and head lining? I just hope they aren't stained...….

 

Sent an email off to Subaru tonight too about all this, so see what happens. Not holding my breath though. Says on their website that all the Subaru Authorised dealers are independently owned and operated, which is probably why there is no email address for each one. I don't have time to waste to go to the shop to try to talk to them, when you know they'll deny everything anyway. So if I hear back from Subaru, once that's over I'll more than likely be telling you which shop to steer clear of.

 

You don't have time to waste discussing things with the service centre that did the poor work, yet you spent 1.5hrs on cleaning up their shoddy workmanship...

 

Should always complain directly to the service delivery or workshop manager first, then the top brass at the dealership, then take it to Subaru NZ.

But hey, why would anyone follow the logical process.

 

At the end of the day, I hope you get it sorted, although you seem to be fixing it yourself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

 

You don't have time to waste discussing things with the service centre that did the poor work, yet you spent 1.5hrs on cleaning up their shoddy workmanship...

I don't have time during business hours when they are open. I have time at night and Sundays, hence why I started on it last night after tea.

 

I know what you're saying, but they don't care enough to do the job properly the first time, so what chance do you think I'd have of getting them to repair it all and clean it all properly and give it back to me how it started? And without damaging something else? Next to no chance I reckon. 

6 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

At the end of the day, I hope you get it sorted, although you seem to be fixing it yourself.

You know the story, the only way to get it done right is to do it yourself? Sadly that is more and more true with everything these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BMCracer said:

...., and the ring around the gear lever ( facelift car ) was not refitted properly and is sitting up proud at the front half. Tried to get that to sit down but no luck, so I'll have to have another go when I've got more time. ....

 

The ring only has one way of going in (although it looks like two) - twist it 180 degrees and should pop right in

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HannesNel said:

The ring only has one way of going in (although it looks like two) - twist it 180 degrees and should pop right in

Thank you very much. I will try that tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BMCracer said:

I don't have time during business hours when they are open. I have time at night and Sundays, hence why I started on it last night after tea.

 

I know what you're saying, but they don't care enough to do the job properly the first time, so what chance do you think I'd have of getting them to repair it all and clean it all properly and give it back to me how it started? And without damaging something else? Next to no chance I reckon. 

You know the story, the only way to get it done right is to do it yourself? Sadly that is more and more true with everything these days.

 

I've worked in (non-automotive) service in the past and people make mistakes, especially when under pressure from management to get S*** done etc.
From their side of things, they can't really fix something unless they know about it.

 

Heck I've dealt with quite a few workshops over the years and from time to time even the good ones make a mistake (leaving engine bay trim loose, not tightening caps, forgetting to reinstall centercaps on wheels when changing tyres... just as a few examples). After mentioning it to the workshop manager or owner I got an apology and the problem/s resolved in a quick manner with no charges.


The least you can do as a customer/client (paying or non-paying) is to bring issues to the attention of the business so they have a chance to resolve it.


In saying all that, I do agree that they did a terrible job and potentially caused irreparable damage to some of your interior which would leave me fuming also.

However it's handled, I hope you get an apology and they repair/replace any damaged components at no cost to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately just like the car panel repair industry they are given a fix cost price to complete the job.I was told on a good day the airbag replacement guys can replace a airbag bl/bp Legacy in 1 1/2 hours.Judging by the state of my dashes in both cars this is true.I have replaced 2 x gc8 v4 and v5 twin airbag dashes back to the fire wall,heater and aircon and steering column 6-8 hours.Thats every panel,clip,nut and bolt bagged and then put back in the original position.I imagine the bl dash will take me longer.

Edited by Dre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, BMCracer said:

Yeah but that's you at home, having to work it all out, and not having all the special tools. These guys have a step by step ( with pictures ) book telling them exactly what to do, and the correct order to do it, every single tool required, and according to old mate on the phone, they've done hundreds. So they should be able to do it in that allotted time easily by now, with no damage and no screw-ups.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, 1randomkiwi said:

 

I've worked in (non-automotive) service in the past and people make mistakes, especially when under pressure from management to get S*** done etc.
From their side of things, they can't really fix something unless they know about it.

 

Heck I've dealt with quite a few workshops over the years and from time to time even the good ones make a mistake (leaving engine bay trim loose, not tightening caps, forgetting to reinstall centercaps on wheels when changing tyres... just as a few examples). After mentioning it to the workshop manager or owner I got an apology and the problem/s resolved in a quick manner with no charges.


The least you can do as a customer/client (paying or non-paying) is to bring issues to the attention of the business so they have a chance to resolve it.


In saying all that, I do agree that they did a terrible job and potentially caused irreparable damage to some of your interior which would leave me fuming also.

However it's handled, I hope you get an apology and they repair/replace any damaged components at no cost to you.

I know people make mistakes now and then, and no one's perfect. But the number of things they've damaged or not refitted properly on my car is way past the odd slip-up you make now and then.

 

The other thing is, considering that they screwed up just about everything they touched on my car, have they even fitted the airbag correctly? Or is that loose or mis-aligned like everything else they touched? Will it work as designed in an accident, or either not work at all or explode and take my head off? Would you be trusting someone who can't put some plastic trims back in correctly, to work on your airbag that could be the different between you living or dying?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually that was me in a panelbeaters pulling my cars apart and putting them back together.I would only get the panel and paint done by the panelbeaters.I have repaired alot of gc8’s.

 

They didn’t check that the airbag was connected correctly in the Outback.Drove the Outback in with no airbag light,drove the Outback out with the airbag light on and a damaged dash.

 

The blame fulls on Subaru NZ for allowing Subaru workshops to do sub standard workmanship. 

Edited by Dre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Dre said:

The blame fulls on Subaru NZ for allowing Subaru workshops to do sub standard workmanship. 

And they obviously don't care about their authorised workshops doing sub standard work either, because they can't be bothered to reply to me.

 

So if you need to get your airbag replaced, stay clear or Winger Sublab in East Tamaki. That's who did mine and made a complete mess of the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.