Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Track hack/project car build cost?

SpeedySub

Ok so tonight my better half asked me what sort of money would be needed for a project car. I did some rough slightly drunk calculations in my head and said 10k. I was thinking:

2k for car

6k engine and suspension

1k body enhancement/paint

1k tuning

As I said these are some numbers I thought maybe correct but I might be totally wrong.

I am thinking it will be a car I could drive to the track or take on a cruise. 

I'm thinking legacy wagon style

So what do you guys think.

Sounds about right. you could get a nice shell for 2k, an engine, turbo and some suspension for 6k, if your doing a re spray, that would prob cost over 1k and 1k for tuning sounds right. Since this is a daily car its about right, you would spend so much more for a race car build... One thing though is that suspension could get expensive, Good wheels/tyres, suspension cost a lot and there is also sway bars etc which doesn't leave much for a good engine, turbo and other stuff like fuel pumps, ecu, injectors, exhaust, intake, brakes and all that stuff you might wanna upgrade.

I really dont know, my guess is 10-15k depending on what you really want.

Edited by Dazz01

It all depends on what the project car is for and what you want out of it. Also if youre doing mechanics or outsourcing.

If the brief was cheap fun legacy id go the following.

Buy single VF## turboed bg5. One gazzy2000 has/had would be a perfect applicant.

160-180wkw

Timing/general maintenance - 1000

Alignment - 80

Tyres - 1000

Brake pads/fluid - 100

Rear swaybar- 280

Exhaust - 200

Boost controller or tap - 30-400

Bilstein struts - 250

Short shift kit and shifter bushes - 80

Then for more fun - 200-230wkw:

Link g4/hardware+tune 2-3000

Yellow 440cc injectors - 100

Optional to move to a v7 sti shortie too. As soon as you move past stock turbo youre throwing money down a hole which kinda sucks the fun out of it...

I do like the look of a bg legacy. I was sort of caught off guard by the question. 

Thinking about it logically, I dont really have the facilities at the moment for major works like engine and trans. But everything else is definatly possible. 

The idea of the car will be a fun car to take for a day at the track or take on a spirited drive some where fun (legally of course). And use it to take the dogs out in, leaving the out back as my grown ups car.

Edited by SpeedySub
drunkin ramblings

• Admin

Better idea:

Buy a mid-90's WRX so you don't get a big unwieldy boat

Pay $3k for it

Spend the rest on petrol and tyres caning the S*** out of it.

When it dies, buy another one, combine the best bits of the 2 and sell the rest.

Rinse, repeat.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, boon said:

Better idea:

Buy a mid-90's WRX so you don't get a big unwieldy boat

Pay $3k for it

Spend the rest on petrol and tyres caning the S*** out of it.

When it dies, buy another one, combine the best bits of the 2 and sell the rest.

Rinse, repeat.

I have been thinking about this more, and without a drink in hand!

So there is a very good chance that I will have $10k lump sum to spend as I wish, first thought was play/project car as thats what the misses asked about.

I think getting something for $3-$5k and spending a couple of grand on it and then get myself a nice MTB.

I was thinking about a Legacy wagon, but as has been noted is a bit of a boat in size.

So now thinking about maybe a WRX wagon (as I want to use it for taking the dogs out in the weekend).

I would like to get into track days, autocross, hill climb type events and have something fun to drive.

I do have limited space to work on it and store stuff, so something that only needs minor work would be good.

Turbos, exhausts, suspension, thins like that I can do at home.

• Subscribed Member

I do know of someone selling a WRX wagon that was used for hill climbs, autoXs etc...

He loved it for that, great power and practical, just selling it as he's building an actual rally car.

Personally I'm doing similar to you, but going with a 1st gen legacy sedan as my base. Same end goal though.

Just now, Technikhaus said:

I do know of someone selling a WRX wagon that was used for hill climbs, autoXs etc...

He loved it for that, great power and practical, just selling it as he's building an actual rally car.

Personally I'm doing similar to you, but going with a 1st gen legacy sedan as my base. Same end goal though.

Woooo bc5 ftw

5 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

What sort of price are they looking for? Could stretch the budget within the 10k if the car is worth it. Especially if a lot of the technical work is done.

• Subscribed Member
15 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

What sort of price are they looking for? Could stretch the budget within the 10k if the car is worth it. Especially if a lot of the technical work is done.

It's not had all that much done to it, just has Revalved suspension, bracing, injectors, G4+, etc, so no cage or anything. 

Unsure exactly how much he'll be wanting, but think it's around the 7K with the ECU and spare wheels/rally tyres etc, although needs a cert for the suspension, and realistically needs a tune... Feel free to message me if you'd like any more info :)

20 minutes ago, ADIKT said:

Woooo bc5 ftw

Yup, bought another one to strip out and throw in a cage :P

4 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

It's not had all that much done to it, just has Revalved suspension, bracing, injectors, G4+, etc, so no cage or anything. 

Unsure exactly how much he'll be wanting, but think it's around the 7K with the ECU and spare wheels/rally tyres etc, although needs a cert for the suspension, and realistically needs a tune...

Sounds like what I would be keen for. So I would need to budget in 1-1.5k for tuning? Im not sure how much certification would cost. So is it road legal/WOFable with out the cert?

Also where is the car, as if not in Canterbury area I will need to factor in either getting it shipped or flying up/driving back.

Still like the idea of the legacy wagon, I do like to be a bit different.

• Subscribed Member
12 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Sounds like what I would be keen for. So I would need to budget in 1-1.5k for tuning? Im not sure how much certification would cost. So is it road legal/WOFable with out the cert?

Also where is the car, as if not in Canterbury area I will need to factor in either getting it shipped or flying up/driving back.

Still like the idea of the legacy wagon, I do like to be a bit different.

Around a grand or so for tuning, depends on who you go to etc.

The cert would only be if you want to run the Rally Coil-overs that are with it. Has some normal (inverted strut) suspension with it though too, so can just throw that back in and not have to worry about it. All legal though, WOF'd Reg'd etc. 

And just down in Dunedin so not all too far away.

Not sure if I mentioned, it's a GF8 V2.

Off the top of my head:
Rebuilt late last year with full genuine seal kit, new timing belt, water pump, tensioners, pullys etc 

TD05 Turbo

Link G4+

2 sets of suspension (one set inverted strut, slight lowering springs, another set is adjustable Revalved suspension for rallying)

3 sets of wheels, all factory with Road tyres/Rally Tyres/Snow tyres

Front upper and lower bracing

Parallel fuel rails

Rising Rate FPR

DW200 Fuel pump

Sump guard (just visible in the first photo)

probably a few other things I've missed...

0JvmX86.jpg

5hbcdmg.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, chulozumo said:

There's a version 2 (I think) fluro green gf8 on trade me with a cage, a g4, v7 swap, a Dccd box with a helical diff, r180, 4/2 pots. 

Also has a spare engine, box, wheels etc it's listed at 9 but F*** knows what he want. I asked but the C*** never replied.

I may have his cell.

52 minutes ago, chulozumo said:

There's a version 2 (I think) fluro green gf8 on trade me with a cage, a g4, v7 swap, a Dccd box with a helical diff, r180, 4/2 pots. 

Also has a spare engine, box, wheels etc it's listed at 9 but F*** knows what he want. I asked but the C*** never replied.

Saw that one. Looks good. But a bit full on for me at the moment

11 hours ago, ginganinja said:

just get a relatively stock or slightly modded GF8 Sti wagon. put rear strut brace, anit-lift kit and front k-brace on it. and drive it. then mod as you wish if need be. should have 4 pots front and 2 pots on rear which with club race pads will work fine. 

4/2pot setup was only on the Type R and STI RA, with the R180?

Easy to do with NZ new wrx non STI bugeye rear hubs though, also has abs sensors 

11 hours ago, evowrx said:

I may have his cell.

Uhhh damn everyone seems to know someone with the stuff I want lately hahaha. This could be dangerous 

1 hour ago, loner said:

A WRX race car for 10k... hmm. Here is my solution, spend your 10k... then stop counting. 

LOL.

I know I will be sinking a lot more money than I have in the budget posted, but that is just the initial outlay to get the car and get it to a point where I can have some fun. The idea will be learn to drive it and save up for extras during that time.

11 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

LOL.

I know I will be sinking a lot more money than I have in the budget posted, but that is just the initial outlay to get the car and get it to a point where I can have some fun. The idea will be learn to drive it and save up for extras during that time.

Then just buy the nicest, tidiest, least molested WRX STi you can get your hands on for 10k. Try really hard to make sure the clutch has got some life in it and that the cambelt isn't due. If you are careful you might get the first year of "light" racing out of it without spending much on it. Then you can start improving the things that annoying the most based on personal experience, not the interweb.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, loner said:

Then just buy the nicest, tidiest, least molested WRX STi you can get your hands on for 10k.

The unmolested part will be hard, every time I look at one for sale I wonder whats really been done to it, especially the ones that say hardly touched!

30 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

The unmolested part will be hard, every time I look at one for sale I wonder whats really been done to it, especially the ones that say hardly touched!

Then take your time... The buying part is not the race. Never buy a car you have not personally inspected and never buy without a mechanical report... And I don't mean an AA report. 

I raced my $9k Type R for years without spending anything more than regular maintenance on it. If you keep them factory, they can take a beating with regular maintenance. Additionally, a WRX is already a pretty fast and highly competitive club car out of the box when you're starting out. You will find your driving limits before the car runs out of potential.

• Like 1