Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

evo vs sti

1994legacyrs said:

Hmm from what I've heard its kind of like the legacy vs wrx debate. One is better for the road, the other on the track.

I have also heard the BEB are easily replaced on an evo but I'm not sure?

I personally like the boxer engine and the subaru look better (god the evo spoiler is ugly) but at the end of the day if I had the money I would probably go evo. All the rumors of BEB failures etc has just made me think every time I hop in my car that it could be the last.

Ha, ha, really...just which legacy is better than a WRX for either road or track?

As to EVO v's STI:

Evo has better set up from factory, better engine, stronger driveline, more driver aids, technically, it's the better car.

Which does everyone prefer? The STI.

Just ask any motoring journo which they'd rather have in their garage; 99.9% of the time, they'll say STI...funny that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dubbedup said:

are we talking factory cars...my impreza's not that nice, but with lotsa bracing and adjusties....mmmmm

How many factory EVO's you seen lately?

EVO is the better car, technically, in factory form, no matter what models/years you compare.

However, better isn't always better if you know what i mean.

The thing I want to know is how Subaru stumbled on the acronym STi ;D

I always thought it would be funny if Mitsubishi released the evo STd as a limited edition model - but then again I'm immature :D

@Dpi

I haven't actually driven every evo, sti or legacy but was just making a generalization based on what I have heard. I was always under the impression that:

Track:

evo>wrx sti>wrx>legacy

Road:

legacy>wrx>wrx sti>evo

But I guess it depends on the year/model etc

I think the Evos have always traditionally been the slightly quicker and more balls to the wall car. They just seem a little tougher than the STi to me especially the drivetrain up until the 6 speed hit the streets.

However, I am not really a fan of running with the pack and when I bought my WRX it seemed like every tom, dick(head) and harry bignoter had an evo at the time.

Its all about choice. Id go for a Subbie over a Mitsi 99% of the time but id choose an Evo 6.5 Makkinen or FQ400 over any subbie most likely.

these are based on personal experiences: (back to back ownership/driving)

i had a ev02 and same vintage v2 wrx - the rex was better car (evo was quicker BUT the rex was just a better car to be in for 99% of the time)

I have owned a 97 evo4 and a 97 v3 sti (again back to back) and the v3 sti was better in all aspect except the evo seemsto get more "thumbs up" from the young and stupid (aka boy racer circles).. anyway the sti was better

next my closest mate at work owned a 99 evo5 at the time i owned a 00 v6sti and the sti was def better in all aspects - ride and comfort and top end too lol - we both drove each others cars back to back many times etc and discussed this lots

my brother-in-law had a evo6.5 and that time i had a v7 sti.. only mod on both was a exhaust and the sti pisses all over the 6.5 - and no he is not a bad driver so was caning it too - and on the track (incedently clubsub track day some years back) the 6.5 was harder for us "normal" drivers to enjoy where as the sti is easier to play with and have a grin on ur face.. :D

lastly - my brother bought my v6 sti and raced it with his mates evo8 - both lightly modded and the evo alwys was behind (although i didnt appreiate such races!) .. point is the sti kept winning.

in conclusion - the evo seems quicker at times but the sti is a better drive and more fun etc... u choose what u want.. 99.9% of fun drives or 0.1% of quick drives..

i know my choice mate!!

lastly, the wrx seems to last better than an evo of similar year/vintage ..maybe the suby is better built after all ;D

PS. if i had the $$ to spend , i wud get a evo9RS tho hahaha but being poor i get 99.9% of the fun in a v7 sti in haff the $ and have no regrets!

yeah i think if you have got a high lvl of driver skill and knowledge of driving an evo in particular, the more recent variants with all driver aids would prob be quicker point to point than the STi.

Its much of a muchness. As Pappu and DPI pointed out though the STi is a better car for 99.9% of the drivers!

For me it comes down to individual preference but things to note:

-early evos have better gearboxes in standard form.

-WRXs appear quicker and are definately more compliant as a daily drive.

-Evos are "technically" quicker point to point.

• General Member

I love the GC8 Shape and style.

Anything later than a GC8 and I would probably be drawn to the Evo, although I am a big fan of the v8 STI.

And I gotta say after driving an Evo 8 recently I was bloody impressed. But that said my GC8 isnt going anywhere, I looked at a later model EVO but decided against it.

DPI said:

Ha, ha, really...just which legacy is better than a WRX for either road or track?

BH Legacy is better than the V7 STI for top straight line speed AND any Legacy beats the hell out of ANY WRX when you need to cram a TV in the back.

No one will win a debate in which car is better, each one has its ups and downs. It's just a matter of what you prefer.

Evo known for being more hardcore for everyday use, STi softer and easier to live with day to day. (heard that EVO X is less hardcore, can anyone confirm?)

Evo can build more power with factory stuff easier than STi, but you can buy a used STi and modify it with the same amount of cash of a stock used Evo of the same year.

etc

personally, I always loved subarus and have no regret that i bought one, but if i had the money to buy an evo i would of bought one with a big smile on my face < even tho that my pocket would be empty ;D

And im sure the lack of money is the case for some (maybe lots) of you for buying a subaru aver an evo :P :P

Both cars were designed for rallying. Impreza won 3 driver's championships, and 3 manufacturers championships. Lancer won 4 drivers and 1 manufacturers. That makes the Impreza more successful for its intended purpose than the Lancer. As far as Group N goes, I'm pretty sure its even more one sided in the Impreza's favour - and that is about as near to stock as an international racing format gets. Considering the relative sizes and manufacturing resources of Mitsubishi and Subaru, the Impreza should cost twice as much, and the Lancer half as much as they currently do. Taking performance into account, it is hard to see why either of them would cost any more than the other. Oh, and Evos are for girls.

Evo 4 was aimed at the V3 STI and vice versa, think I know what I would rather ;)

Evo 4 really was a terrible car a mate of mine use to own one (now has a Evo 9) went through rear diffs and gearboxs in the Evo 4 like no tomorrow.

Dazza said:

Evo 4 was aimed at the V3 STI and vice versa, think I know what I would rather ;)

Evo 4 really was a terrible car a mate of mine use to own one (now has a Evo 9) went through rear diffs and gearboxs in the Evo 4 like no tomorrow.

yea they also have engine issues, thats why theres some on trademe with evo 5/6 engine & running gear