Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

WRXONP said:

bro eveyone seems to be asking me where to get one haha..u can get them online for 300..i got mine for less than 50 bucks from strong subaru parts...it was all scoady looking and discoloured....hit it with the auto sol a fair bit and it looks super !!!

i was biding on one on that fortyone website bit i just diapeard lol standard will do me . $300 a bit out of reach

Guest vf20/21bg5
 WRXONP said:

wat compression figures u get???

also im soooo glad u finally stoped calling them coil overs.......

lol but honestly if i had said...... "i put my coil overs on my spark plugs and tested" would you honestly think that i attatched my suspension to my spark plugs? ;D

Guest vf20/21bg5
 WRXONP said:

wat compression figures u get???

also im soooo glad u finally stoped calling them coil overs.......

compression tests on an engine that was not run in or even hasnt started yet will not produce very good figures as i expected was all around 160's but im expecting 170's when run in....also found this interesting as it partly relates to my build as i have v5 heads but 0.5mm head gaskets and skimed block halfs and heads extra....my compression ratio ended up at about 9.0:1 based on a v5/6 engine's comp ratio but adding my 0.5mm gaskets and head/block skimming factors into it(if a pro worked it out it may differ slightly lol) and this write up is saying as i already knew that detonation may be an issue for me altho ill get more bang in the pot= more low down power and no topend power

Sti compression ratio and why its good

The sti's compression ratio is 8.2:1 running 14.5 psi and the evo is 8.8:1 running 19.5 psi

Why is low compression better for a Turbocharged Engine?

You make horsepower by how much air you move through the motor. A high compression 10:1 engine is more efficient than a 7:1 engine, so the 10:1 engine gives you more bang for the buck. However, because the lower compression is not as efficient, it will move more air through it. So, at 15 PSI of boost, the 7:1 engine will have an effective compression ratio of 14:1, will not be into detonation, and be moving more air, making more horsepower than the same conditions for the 10:1 engine. That engine will be in self-destruct mode, have detonation, and an effective compression ratio of 20:1!

This is why the racers only run 5:1 or even 6:1. All of this is great for a drag car, but because the static compression is lower, you will not have much bottom end torque either. So, since most of us don't drag race every place we go, a good compromise would be 8:1 or 8.5:1 compression. This way you don't loose too much bottom end for driveability, and if you don't run too much boost, say 10 to 15 PSI, you stay away from the gray effective compression area of 15:1 and up.

Remember, that the shape of the combustion area, cam, type of fuel, etc. all play a part of when the engine starts to detonate. It comes down to start with low boost, and sneak it up from there until you run into problems.

Thought this might be an interesting tidbit for everyone.

did some work on the cars on the weekend.

Did oil change and refitted bumper properly to pl0xs before.

Took the back bumper off for maximum height and removed muffler on my bush surf.

Did a oil change, fuel filter and cv boot on the road surf. Then towed broken boat home to dads to fix :(

ODB']

[quote name='ShaylaJ said:

Rego expired yesterday. Too poor till Wednesday. Yay, footpath express here I come!

/quote]

you have around 1 week grace period iirc.

2 weeks typically... yes i tested them on it...wonder if my 2 years will get compliance? Luwlz