Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Why the bu(n)g eyes?

Hmmm v7 as per everyone else didnt like when it come out..but now its grown on me have seen some very nice examples of late...

V8 and 9 definatly improvemtn..

Didnt like 10 till i saw blakpanthas old one and that thing was the sex nice as car..

V11 has to be STI hatch otherwise the rest are ugly ...STI looks much tougher

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me Old Wert']

[quote name='newsuba said:

The boxed wheel arches are from the days when Subaru were Audi quattro wannabees.

;D

/quote]

Is'nt there about a 10-15 year time difference? Just sayin!

Yes but Subaru closely aped Audi's Vorsprung durch Technik.

From the adoption of 4wd to even running into the same early problems like making locking centre diffs work with ABS etc.

BlkPnthr said:

Damn i miss that car! For sale again... he's fiddled with it too much though and upped the price by $8g!! I preferred the whale tail to the black spoiler he's put on

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276686036

What's he tinkered with too much? Mods don't look too shabby really. You should offer what he bought it off you for haha!

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='BlkPnthr said:

Damn i miss that car! For sale again... he's fiddled with it too much though and upped the price by $8g!! I preferred the whale tail to the black spoiler he's put on

url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276686036[/url]

What's he tinkered with too much? Mods don't look too shabby really. You should offer what he bought it off you for haha!

I would if i hadn't spent all my money overseas!

The mods aren't too bad, but i just quite liked the fact that it was a pretty much untouched example

I've never really been a fan of the bug eye generation of Subaru (although I've owned both legacy and wrx Sti from that era). I remember when they first came out I thought they had engaged toyota to do thier styleing.

I always thought it had something to do with the Japanese putting a "face" on thier cars and at the time manga was really popular in japan so Japanese car manufacturers put big eyes on the cars' face.

The only reason I have bought each of them is because I want to buy newer

cars but can't afford to skip the era. They do grow on you though and it is just the front that looks bad. Can't say I've liked every angle of every subie I've ever owned. To be fair though the legacy didn't last long, I just didn't enjoy walking back to it at a car park. At least the Sti makes up for it with power.

My favorite would have to be v5/6 but they just aren't really a respectable car any more, I think becase you have to be an enthusiast to tell the difference between a v1 and a v6.

The biggest thing in favor of the v7 is it is the fastest wagon Subaru made as they stopped offering an Sti sports wagon from v8 onwards.

Treecrusher said:

I've never really been a fan of the bug eye generation of Subaru (although I've owned both legacy and wrx Sti from that era). I remember when they first came out I thought they had engaged toyota to do thier styleing.

I always thought it had something to do with the Japanese putting a "face" on thier cars and at the time manga was really popular in japan so Japanese car manufacturers put big eyes on the cars' face.

The only reason I have bought each of them is because I want to buy newer

cars but can't afford to skip the era. They do grow on you though and it is just the front that looks bad. Can't say I've liked every angle of every subie I've ever owned. To be fair though the legacy didn't last long, I just didn't enjoy walking back to it at a car park. At least the Sti makes up for it with power.

My favorite would have to be v5/6 but they just aren't really a respectable car any more, I think becase you have to be an enthusiast to tell the difference between a v1 and a v6.

The biggest thing in favor of the v7 is it is the fastest wagon Subaru made as they stopped offering an Sti sports wagon from v8 onwards.

is/was the ver7 sti wagon faster/quicker then the ver6?

i have always wanted a white ver7 that has the nice front lip etc with no spoiler, similar 2 scoobydoos 1

but ended up with a ver6 which i have always loved, its like every car, some look good with just very small add ons like a lip etc

G-unit said:

is/was the ver7 sti wagon faster/quicker then the ver6?

You may have me there. Not sure as the v6 got the ej207 as well didn't it? And if it does have the same engine, no doubt the v7 is heavier so the v6 probably is faster.

Don't get me wrong, I love the v5/6 ( I would rather have my old v5 than my v7) but it is hard to have as an every day car, taking it to work meetings etc and not get tarred with the dreaded "boyracer" brush.

newsuba said:

In a drag race the 206kW, manual BP Legacy GTB wagon was just as fast as the v6/7 STi wagon.

NZAutocar clocked one at 5.5sec for the 0-100km/h dash.

Yeah but unless you got the face lift Legacy with the sti 6 speed good luck repeating that time on regular basis without rebuilding your Gearbox

newsuba said:

In a drag race the 206kW, manual BP Legacy GTB wagon was just as fast as the v6/7 STi wagon.

i remember this, the 0-100 was .1 faster than the ver 8 sti. thats why when i move on from the rsk i'll be sitting in a BL gt spec b.

newsuba said:

Just to be a cheeky bugger (because I would actually rather have a new legacy, but can't afford one) but it might win in a straight line, but it would certainly have kittens trying to keep up once it got into some corners ;D

Guest SPANKU
 Scoobydoo said:

I bought one and wouldn't look back. I think they are the best value cars around at the moment... still less than 10 years old so can get ones with low km's, and around the 12-13k mark for WRX and 15-17k for the STi (depending on condition of course), they are still a few grand cheaper than the V8's.

Stronger engine internals and better suspension with the GD chassis make for a good base package to mod, without the turbos being twin-scroll so are also a bit cheaper to mod then the v8s exhaust wise.

There was a write up a few months ago in the NZPC mag, saying that the V7 was the one to get "bang-for-buck". They need a few cosmetic mods to get them looking to people's acquired tastes, like removing the small spoiler and big wheels (18",19"). It was one of the first things I did - made eyelids and got a new spoiler. Now it looks nice and agressive and I like it :)

EDIT: Thanks for that vote of approval aim :D

+1

i still would love to have one. at first i did think they are ugly but lowering it and putting just a slightly larger wheel on it makes the different on them

beside they are still cheaper then some GC8 on the markets

Scoobydoo']

It looks like the front glass has been removed to take the second pic.. I wonder if it's possible to remove it? They'd look mean if you were to colour code them to your car!

i've seen one without the front glass but not sure if its this one or a different brand

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

Good piece of advertising though. I think I might buy those headlights.....if I can fit the HID bulbs to that is.

and sure you can fit HID lights to it

This factory lip and lowered on teins sold me.

imagehp.th.jpg

Didn't really like them when first came out but after a few years I noticed extra details I had missed and came to appreciate what the designers had done.

IMO, you can't compare GC8 with GDB as they are essentially two completely different cars but with the same badge.

It's like comparing "Appetite for Destruction" with "Chinese Democracy"