Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Driveshaft hoops - blech!

boon

• Admin

Has anyone ever heard of the driveshaft failing in a Subaru?

I\'m right on the cusp, power-wise, of needing them for a cert and it\'s quite depressing as I\'ll have to strip the interior.

Or should I just fib about the power by 15kw and get it certed without?

Have had one break behind the mid support bearing. :( One of those with a CV type connection units in lieu of a proper universal. Alls it did was fly around and bash the underbody a bit. Was held up by the diff lead in cover :D DAMNED noisey!!!! But never even looked like digging in, as the broken shaft could not even hit the tarmac.! Was doing a hundy too! just getting onto throttle as i departed a corner.

Hoops? Why? I have no idea what the LTSA has in mind. ??? ???

This car was not even over powered, just standard.

Tis just red tape balderdash that they can throw at you to make themselves feel good i reckon ::) ::)

they tried making that happen on mythbusters and decided it couldn\'t be done, they even dropped it into a pot hole at different speeds and the worst one pushed the diff back pushing up the floor of the boot.

Does and can happen. Local guy had it happen in a ford trader iirc but light truck anyway and it put the back in the air at a 100kph slid off the road into a tree killed him. Other passenger was pretty sweet.

Im trying to make some for mine at the moment, not the easyest things to make fit..has to be 50x5 flat with 4x 10mm bolts .and within 150mm from the uj. and doubler plates on the inside of the car.

If anyone has made them for there Subaru can you please post up some pics?

We are borg said:

the ones I have seen have been at best an abortion, I have plan in my head on how to make them nice looking but not sure if they will be "allowed"

haha i know! maybe if they where made tidier people wouldn\'t hate them so much

• Admin
 Eight dollar said:

Untill you see one fail with big Hp, keep ya head in the sand and ignore your own safety

(If it should happen - dont blame the cert /wof or track inspections ) :)

This is true, but is ~270wkw (the threshold for hoops) really going to break the main driveshaft any time soon? I was under the impression that the half-shafts/gearbox/clutch/bravery/traction were more likely to let go first?

mate of mine running 270kw in a gc8 on 5 speed box and diff setup and stock drive shafts and yet to fail

been on the track few times and heavy road usage and been maybe 1.5-2 years nothing broken yet drive shaft wise

I still don\'t understand why the interior has to be stripped can\'t you just drill through with the carpet in place? I personally wouldn\'t care if I had a couple of bolt heads showing on the floor. Plus if I took the carpet out I\'d probably \'accidentally\' remove the sound deadening and get ten sorts of carried away.

forcefed said:

Im trying to make some for mine at the moment, not the easyest things to make fit..has to be 50x5 flat with 4x 10mm bolts .and within 150mm from the uj. and doubler plates on the inside of the car.

If anyone has made them for there Subaru can you please post up some pics?

Go for a carbon drive shaft then you don\'t need to put anything plus it will be a one piece so you will gain a little bit of power at the same time

• Admin
 Roo said:

I still don\'t understand why the interior has to be stripped can\'t you just drill through with the carpet in place? I personally wouldn\'t care if I had a couple of bolt heads showing on the floor. Plus if I took the carpet out I\'d probably \'accidentally\' remove the sound deadening and get ten sorts of carried away.

4 10mm bolts, with doubler plates (aka 50mm square washers) in 2 different places would look mongrel as. And I\'m not in a huge hurry to mongrel up the inside of the car.