Jump to content
Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

Ask your tuning questions here!


gotasuby
 Share

Recommended Posts

 sobanoodle']I am in exactly the same situation as Andy_Mac. Kido is pretty quick to get new customers on board and serve them with a basic tune for a starter but then you'll have to wait for ages if you need a revision/changed your set-up, been now waiting for 1.5 months for what hopefully will be my final revision, initial tune was done in late November - early December.

Should've probably just saved up and done a proper tune, once and for all, wouldn't be that much more expensive considering the cost of Tactrix (still a nice piece of kit to have though but a cheap-o ebay cable works just fine for logging).

That's really not good enough is it... I am patient but not that patient haha

Dunedin has nothing hence why the E-tune is so appealing for me down here too.

[quote name='Andy_Mac said:

Had my first tune done by Cryotune and can confirm its a completely different experience. Dave was tunes every few days, with replies to queries even quicker. Can easily go a month without hearing from Matt, his workload is just too large for what he can provide. Alot of his sparkling reviews are from people who he has done tunes for on dyno's which skews the opinion of his e-tune side

You never do any logs in romraider and then viewed in virtual dyno? 170-180 is the max you'd see before, at the very least, needing a better cooling solution.

Haven't given that a go before either... easy enough to do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

Yea easy as. Assume since you've had an e-tune done you have a tactrix cable? Chuck the last few 2nd/3rd gear log pulls in virtual dyno with all the correct specs for you're car and it'll spit out a dyno graph. As long as the road is flat and the gear ratio's/rolling diameter is right it'll give results fairly similar to what a dyno will give.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Andy_Mac said:
Yea easy as. Assume since you've had an e-tune done you have a tactrix cable? Chuck the last few 2nd/3rd gear log pulls in virtual dyno with all the correct specs for you're car and it'll spit out a dyno graph. As long as the road is flat and the gear ratio's/rolling diameter is right it'll give results fairly similar to what a dyno will give.

Just giving it a go now... Am I needing to change the gear ratios and tyre height that are already loaded into the program?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

Yea most likely. Can't remember exactly what cars it had but it didn't have mine so I just had to make one up using known figures.

Wheel diameter is easy. When you load a log, on the left hand side it has a box you select that you put in your tyre specs and that gives out the diameter. Ratio's not so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Andy_Mac said:
Yea most likely. Can't remember exactly what cars it had but it didn't have mine so I just had to make one up using known figures.

Wheel diameter is easy. When you load a log, on the left hand side it has a box you select that you put in your tyre specs and that gives out the diameter. Ratio's not so much.

Here we go... I think haha

You're right, wheel diameter is easy and i just got the gear ratios off this site here... http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart.

Virtual%20Dyno%203.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Andy_Mac said:
Yea most likely. Can't remember exactly what cars it had but it didn't have mine so I just had to make one up using known figures.

Wheel diameter is easy. When you load a log, on the left hand side it has a box you select that you put in your tyre specs and that gives out the diameter. Ratio's not so much.

Here we go... I think haha

You're right wheel diameter easy as and I just got gear ratios from this site here... http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Subaru%20Transmission%20Chart.

Virtual%20Dyno%203.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Andy_Mac said:
Yea most likely. Can't remember exactly what cars it had but it didn't have mine so I just had to make one up using known figures.

Wheel diameter is easy. When you load a log, on the left hand side it has a box you select that you put in your tyre specs and that gives out the diameter. Ratio's not so much.

Here we go... I think haha

You're right, wheel diameter easy as and I just got the gear ratios off the net.

Virtual%20Dyno%203.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Has anyone here had their 3.0r tuned and still experiencing pinging and inconsistancy? I had mine (05 3.0r spec b manual) e-tuned by xrt a couple of months back, was good for a while, now it's pinging on application of the throttle when you change gears and get back on the gas, it must pull timing, which makes it feel flat, and then it pulls away semi normal again. It feels quite flat until the cams go in to higher lift too (flat until 4000rpm).

Especially if you're driving enthusiastically. This is on 98 too. Both afr sensors, plugs, both fuel filters and one avcs sensor done just been done too.

Anybody experienced this? Or know a good tuner in the bop? Dtech?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 zeroyon223 said:
Yep that's the one. I'll put up a log once I get my tactrix cable back off my mate.

You've got a 3.0r too? Who did your tune?

Nothing like this is happening to yours?

I had mine done by Matt McLeod. He is based out of Australia. He is the only one I would go to for the 3.0R. He knows that motor and ECU inside out. Just one drawback to Matt. He can be hard to get hold of, which can be frustrating, but the results are hard to fault. He is Throttlehappy on this forum or Kido_Tuning on the Australian liberty forum. He is also going to be back in NZ later this year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I personally would NOT recommend getting a tune from Kido aka Matt McLeod. Spend a bit more and get a proper tune done, if I was to do it again I'd just go to Dtech - yes you pay more but at least you know your car is safe and runs as it should, you'd also know if there are any issues to be addressed. Not just "Load this tune, she'll be sweet", especially if you do not have enough background knowledge to check what's been done. I might have my pink glasses on but that's my personal opinion.

PS. There seems to be a number of die-hard fanboys that will stand by their etuner no matter what, be it xrt or kido (almost like a religious following).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's what I'm thinking (yay, hindsight), taking it to a tuner here. I've used WRC developments before and he was good, but a bit of a drive.

I think the etuning is a bit of a hit and miss, especially if you're not supplementing it with a wideband and using factory afr sensors.

Edited by zeroyon223
Errors in post
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard good things about DTech too yes. Not sure on the 3.0R and Dtech but I have never heard anything bad from them on other Subarus.

Soba I think you are a bit bitter mate. You are the only person I know that did not have a good experience with Matt. (other than the bloody long waiting sometimes) And yes I will "Stand by my E-tuner" He's done a good job for me and everyone else that I referred to him.

Maybe you can come and sit and pray with me at my Shrine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
 sobanoodle said:
You do get a bit bitter when you pay for a service and it's not really upto standard. I know of at atleast one other member who is not entirely happy with the tune.

DTech seem like the go to place really. A good tuner like Dave shouldn't have any issues getting a solid tune for a 3.0r on a dyno. You're paying for a completed tune and you'll get one.

Meth injection would be an interesting idea for a 3.0r aswell, if you're going to pay for an expensive tune, make it worthwhile and get some more power out of it.

I was never particularily happy with Matts business practices. I probably ****ed him off a bit too, as revisions were taking weeks/months to come so i'd get bored of waiting and tinker a bit more so then more changes would be needed. I just got sick of waiting months, even for simple answers to questions.

We paid $600 for him to tune it on the dyno, the expectation for a tune costing that much would be that it stays on the dyno until its done. Not just kinda good and then more revisions done over the next few months.

You see the word 'months' getting used alot,thats because unless your on his favourites list you WILL end up waiting 3-6 months for a tune to be completed.

I would never use him again, just not a worthwhile experience.

Another one to look into may be Tuning Alliance, the Americans seem to quite fancy them for the Legacy's atleast.

Edited by Andy_Mac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
 sobanoodle said:
I personally would NOT recommend getting a tune from Kido aka Matt McLeod. Spend a bit more and get a proper tune done, if I was to do it again I'd just go to Dtech - yes you pay more but at least you know your car is safe and runs as it should, you'd also know if there are any issues to be addressed. Not just "Load this tune, she'll be sweet", especially if you do not have enough background knowledge to check what's been done. I might have my pink glasses on but that's my personal opinion.

PS. There seems to be a number of die-hard fanboys that will stand by their etuner no matter what, be it xrt or kido (almost like a religious following).

You know, I took my car to Chris Wall, he stuck it on a dyno, and it runs ****ing grouse. It makes more power than I'll ever need on the road (haha yeah I say that now) and despite the fact my injectors are way way too big it gets better than factory economy.

Pay a bit extra, get it done by a guy who actually has the car sitting in front of him, do it once do it right.

Keep in mind that the instant you take your car to a different tuner, you throw the entire tune done by someone else in the bin, essentially.

Just my 2c.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can honestly say i've had a completely different experience from above with Matt. At most it was a week or 10 days between revisions, i am now on my third revision and should only be one or two updates from a final tune.

The whole process so far has taken around 6 weeks from when i extracted my OEM ECU file, and i'd say most of the delays was myself finding time to get some good logs recorded and getting time to reflash. The car felt immediately better and continues to get better with each revision, this is with a 3.0r which IS his forte.

Its a shame hearing that some of his customers go for prolonged periods without support or updates, i'm sure its not what he has intended. He recently went through surgery but even so, having to wait months for revisions is obviously not on and if your busting to get a tune out for your legacy and dont particularly like waiting then i would look into other options for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
 Ajayy said:
Can honestly say i've had a completely different experience from above with Matt. At most it was a week or 10 days between revisions, i am now on my third revision and should only be one or two updates from a final tune.

The whole process so far has taken around 6 weeks from when i extracted my OEM ECU file, and i'd say most of the delays was myself finding time to get some good logs recorded and getting time to reflash. The car felt immediately better and continues to get better with each revision, this is with a 3.0r which IS his forte.

Its a shame hearing that some of his customers go for prolonged periods without support or updates, i'm sure its not what he has intended. He recently went through surgery but even so, having to wait months for revisions is obviously not on and if your busting to get a tune out for your legacy and dont particularly like waiting then i would look into other options for sure.

See this just doesn't float my boat. One or 2 updates from a final tune? Why does it take so many goes to get it right? What damage is being done to your engine when you give it a WoT pull to redline 2 updates away from the final tune? Or do you just have to nana it for months at a time while you wait for the guy to finish it?

Tuning a car from _nothing_ takes maybe half a day on a dyno for a competent tuner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 boon said:
See this just doesn't float my boat. One or 2 updates from a final tune? Why does it take so many goes to get it right? What damage is being done to your engine when you give it a WoT pull to redline 2 updates away from the final tune? Or do you just have to nana it for months at a time while you wait for the guy to finish it?

Tuning a car from _nothing_ takes maybe half a day on a dyno for a competent tuner.

I know which I'd choose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...