Sign in to follow this  
nihell

A rare conversion( V11 sti a-line to manual)

Recommended Posts

Hi subaru gurus,

 

Question is plain and simple yet i believe it’s a complicated question.

 

first of all i’ve done some few research and yes it is a hard work that i do get the same answer everytime i do ask this question.

 

I am wondering if is there anyone here in NZ at all done a transmission conversion on this model? (AT to MT) how long did it took and how much money did u throw on it to be done wheter DIY OR a reputable shop.

 

I did ask few reputable shop and got the same answer which is very practical (sell the car and get a manual), i do understand the thought of it its just more of a deciding criteria for me wheter to just go with that suggestion or if there is another option as i kinda dont really want to part ways with the car. 
 

At the moment im still looking at it, might change in the future but yeah just seeing whats out there and is anyone in here knows and can actually get me some digits on how much the spend be.

 

Thank you.

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate, if workshops won’t take your money, why are you still trying? They are say it’s not worth the profit of doing it for them. Let alone the base cost. 
 

ring the LVVTA and see what they want these days as well.

it used to be easy to do with no cert but as soon as you have traction control etc it’s all safety related and so all likely to require recert. 
 

I’ve converted other cars but wouldn’t even bother with newer ones as it’s a pain to get all the electrical s*** working and having seen there are actually 3 or more varieties of the GR v11. My one predates the wiring manual and then the facelift is different again for some things. Plus you can’t trust anything from American forums as the are left hand drive.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It'll surely be a shambles like the 4th gen Legacy’s. The only easy way would be to swap essentially everything over from a donor car including most of the electrical components and looms as the CANBUS system makes it a messy swap. 

 

Maybe CCT can Jimmy something up in the ECU like they have apparently done with the 4th gens but most tuners are not capable of doing this level of programming in the ECU as they just aren't dedicated to putting that much time and effort into a factory ECU for a single platform. 

 

Needing a cert is a given as you'll be changing the brake pedal for the manual one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah sadly with more modern cars it's just too much of a mess, often the transmission mounts themselves will be completely different.

 

Also 100% will need a cert, technically changing the brake pedal in any car requires a cert :(

 

As much as it sucks, the best/potentially only option is to sell it and upgrade...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gripless said:

Mate, if workshops won’t take your money, why are you still trying? They are say it’s not worth the profit of doing it for them. Let alone the base cost. 
 

ring the LVVTA and see what they want these days as well.

it used to be easy to do with no cert but as soon as you have traction control etc it’s all safety related and so all likely to require recert. 
 

I’ve converted other cars but wouldn’t even bother with newer ones as it’s a pain to get all the electrical s*** working and having seen there are actually 3 or more varieties of the GR v11. My one predates the wiring manual and then the facelift is different again for some things. Plus you can’t trust anything from American forums as the are left hand drive.

 

Hi sir, thanks for the detailed response. Like i said its just a matter of deciding factor as per your opinion, that gives me like yep maybe just give up and yes i do know about the LVV cert that needed to be done and yes i do know it will be costly im Just looking here in NZ if theres an actual person which i heard there is one. I’ve seen one converted in malaysia which has the same spec and apparently having an aftermarket ecu will definetly make it more smoother.

 

thank you for that.

10 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

 

It'll surely be a shambles like the 4th gen Legacy’s. The only easy way would be to swap essentially everything over from a donor car including most of the electrical components and looms as the CANBUS system makes it a messy swap. 

 

Maybe CCT can Jimmy something up in the ECU like they have apparently done with the 4th gens but most tuners are not capable of doing this level of programming in the ECU as they just aren't dedicated to putting that much time and effort into a factory ECU for a single platform. 

 

Needing a cert is a given as you'll be changing the brake pedal for the manual one.

Hi sir, thanks for the info i do have the feeling that it will always comes down to that as newer car have i guess more complicated wirings🤦‍♂️. Thats not even a bad idea to have a manual shell and transfer most of the stuff hopefully in time there be more wrecked GR😅 .I might have a go and ask them if they know or can do somethi ng about it.

 

thank you

Edited by nihell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

Yeah sadly with more modern cars it's just too much of a mess, often the transmission mounts themselves will be completely different.

 

Also 100% will need a cert, technically changing the brake pedal in any car requires a cert :(

 

As much as it sucks, the best/potentially only option is to sell it and upgrade...

Thanks for that.

 

I do expect that its going to be in that route but yeah like the other comment i might try and maybe get a donor or something and use that.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you should call the LVVTA head office and choose the tech option. The info they give you is about the best you’ll get. 
they are also aware of any changes coming up that make screw you over if you don’t complete things by a set date. 
 

getting a cert is a massive range from simple to very complex. I’ve had certain for different things and some are drive in drive out. Others are months of calls and paperwork. But they all go well if you start with a call to the source. Or I’ve hit them up at car show when they have a stand. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mind is melting at the thought of buying a manual donor car to manual swap an automatic, when presumably you could just... ya know... drive the manual donor car.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, boon said:

My mind is melting at the thought of buying a manual donor car to manual swap an automatic, when presumably you could just... ya know... drive the manual donor car.

I mean, if you get a rear end wrecked manual on the cheap it may work out but anything else won't be financially viable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is almost never financially viable to do any swap that ends up with something that the factory actually built in the first place.

 

Especially if you can't do all of the work yourself.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there anything particularly special about the a-line auto that makes it worth losing money to transfer in to it? list those special things out.. and transfer them in to a nice manual v11 sti of your liking. in many situations it's really cool to find your dream shell that may be a rare type and transfer things of your liking in to it.. but in this case it's not really different between the transmission types and neither are rare so that's the reason no one does it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2021 at 10:33 AM, Batbaruman said:

is there anything particularly special about the a-line auto that makes it worth losing money to transfer in to it? list those special things out.. and transfer them in to a nice manual v11 sti of your liking. in many situations it's really cool to find your dream shell that may be a rare type and transfer things of your liking in to it.. but in this case it's not really different between the transmission types and neither are rare so that's the reason no one does it.


The special part is that they are de-tuned to be slower than the manual STi and that they have an especially boring auto transmission with crappy diffs. 🤦🏻‍♂️
 

 

 

@nihell

I know you are really into this idea mate but just sell it and buy the manual STi hatch. I went through the same problem with my old wrx wagon, I really wanted a 6 speed but after a bunch of looking and thinking I just sold my wrx wagon to buy an STi wagon. I swapped all my suspension parts into the new car and I’ve never looked back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the response, you all are right.

 

much appreciated for all the suggestion.

 

cheers.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this