Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Stop a TradeMe scammer! - 29/11/09 Car inspected in person!

Simon C

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnnynz said:

Buyer beware tbh, I dont quite see why we are putting our capes on to stop every trademe scammer.

Yeah but; you were all ONCE noobies to Subaru...

Would you have wanted to be ARSEREAMED like that?

Some WRX's are just that, a WRX. Some came from the factory as an STI model.

You can't make one from a WRX no matter how many parts you bolt on, it will ALWAYS be a WRX with sti parts! FACT!! End of story!!!

Example:

A mate of mine, way back when i was in my 20's, had a dad who liked muscle cars.

He owned an original XY GT Phase III HO (for those of you who don't know, it's like a Ford SPEC C on steroids). As there were only approx 300 made, and many were turned into race cars, they are (and were) very rare.

His was in Blue (rarer still as a hell of a lot were in Vermillion Fire Red) and was as close to new cond as you can get.

Around 91-92, it was worth approx $90,000 and climbing fast.

Have ya guessed yet?

He had taken it out for some 'Spirited' driving, and kinda lost it a bit, and rolled it :o

End result, munted front and side, destroy'd roof, suspension and engine damage etc...

So, he brought a new shell (even went to the trouble of finding a genuine GT shell) and painstakingly rebuilt it with all the original parts (with a little help from rare spares).

End result?

A amazingly tidy and very, very expensive Falcon! Not a genuine Phase III HO, not even a genuine GT anymore, just a generic Falcon with lots of bits from some genuine donors... :P

One thing that really got up my nose a few years ago was people with their 95 gt legacies trying to claim them as GTBs. Owning a GTB I knew all the differences including the similarities with the v3 sti drive train. People claiming a GT was a GTB because of a bilstein badge being attached to the boot pissed me off. Was extremely hard to bite my tongue especially hen one of my mates bought one and started claiming it.

Although the power outputs are the same as v3 sti the GTB motors are missing a couple of key parts such as forged pistons and the heads a set up differently (found out the hard way). About the biggest thing a GTB can share in common with a v3 sti is that the parts from a v3 sti can be used to single turbo the GTB ;)

I'd say malicious:

1) He knows he brought a WRX, not an STI (this has been confirmed for him many, many times over!

2) He knows the speedo, along with many other parts are not original!

3) As he drives it, i would have to believe he also noticed the car was a BAG OF SH1T (just like the AA tester)!

4) He is still sticking to the original story that it is a ficticous Singapore STI model, in amazing condition with very, very low km's.

How is that not malicious, he is aware he has seriously mis-represented his vehicle and continues to do so...

DPI said:

I'd say malicious:

1) He knows he brought a WRX, not an STI (this has been confirmed for him many, many times over!

2) He knows the speedo, along with many other parts are not original!

3) As he drives it, i would have to believe he also noticed the car was a BAG OF SH1T (just like the AA tester)!

4) He is still sticking to the original story that it is a ficticous Singapore STI model, in amazing condition with very, very low km's.

How is that not malicious, he is aware he has seriously mis-represented his vehicle and continues to do so...

tought call.. i totally agree with all this.. and should the guy be a total sh|t head he should have it explained and then marched to a keyboard to change his listing.

Was there any dialogue with him Simon that his car totally isnt an STI?..

leggyfreak']

[quote name='Simon C said:

And in the seller's defense, he's not malicious, he's really just very very clueless.

/quote]

yea as i sed earlier in the thread he's an old mate of mine and he just doesn't know a single thing about cars doesn't matter what it is

Yeah, maybe, but he definately knows now, but refuses to change details; therefore, he is knowingly mis-representing the vehicle.

So, he's moved from IDIOT, to IDIOT who is selling a car fraudulently.

Sadly, all the points you've raised can actually be explained away by gross, sub-Homer-Simpson, Cletus-The-Slack-Jawed-Yokel stupidity.

spark_38 got pictures, some of the stuff is pretty dodgy. Like the missing passenger front wheel arch liner, with the wires for the airbag sensors hanging loose and potentially able to touch the tire :'(

Ok, this is all the stuff that we could pick up (that we remember, there were a LOT of issues with the car). Jason can probably think of more:

1) The car is obviously a WRX, not an STi.

- GDA chassis numbers on the FHI factory plates inside the engine bay

- 5 speed gearbox

- GDA TMIC

- TDO4 turbo

- Boxer rumble (V8 STi should have twin scroll equal length headers)

- Stock GDA exhaust + twin exit muffler

- Stock GDA front and rear seats

- Stock GDA Momo airbag steering wheel

- No Brembos

2) There are lots of STi bits, all of which can be bolted on without too many hassles.

- V7 STi speedo cluster

- Not V8 STi as you would expect, which has extra silver trim around the dials.

- We forgot to see what colour it lights up, but the needles don't sweep on startup like a V8 STi.

- V7/8 STi blue trim door cards

- V8 STi shift boot trim

- "STi Subaru Tecnica International" sticker on front door (passenger side only! Driver's side is bare)

- STi rear badge (silver-on-red like V11 STi rather than silver-on-pink like V7/8/9 STi)

- STi key

- This ONLY opens the door locks. It will NOT turn the ignition, and doesn't have the transponder chip for the ignition

- The actual ignition keys are just big old plain WRX keys with big (and not-working) buttons for remote central locking

- There is a third set of big old plain WRX keys which will operated the remote central locking, but will not turn over the ignition.

- So much for STi keys proving that it's an STi! You should have seen his face when I pulled my STi key out and told him I bought it on eBay.

3) The car was obviously modified previously

- Lots of aftermarket hoses with blocked of T-junctions etc. for various aftermarket sensors.

- Front bumper and right engine bay has been hacked up to fit FMIC and piping

- Inside of bonnet has had bits cut out to allow clearance for high-sitting aftermarket piping (which has dented the bonnet from inside)

- Mounting bracket for the factory boost control solenoid is missing, probably removed for aftermarket EBC.

- Also, the hoses to the BCS have been cut at some stage, and have now been mated to mismatched hosing.

- Turbo heat shield has been cut away, and the notch for the wastegate actuator arm doesn't line up with the arm itself

4) The car has lead a hard life

- Dried residue around the radiator coolant reservoir where it has overheated

- Missing plastic front underguard with big dents in the sump

- Horrible intermittent grinding noise coming from somewhere in the drivetrain when gears shifted

5) The car may have been accident repaired

- Left and right headlight clusters are different and don't match up, one has amber trim missing over indicator.

- Also, WOF got failed on having different colour bulbs on either side

- Paint on the bolts holding the right front guard on are different from the panel paint, so this has probably been off at some stage

- Front bumper is hanging really loose, and on the right is tied on with string. Yes, it really is.

6) Signs of abuse aside, the car is older than 24xxx kms

- Alternator and aircon belts look old and worn

- As above, speedo is V7 STi and therefore cannot possibly be the original.

7) The bodykit has been done by a bunch of blind monkeys

- Grill work at the front is completely amateur and untidy, held on by cable ties

- Foglamp cover holes (where grille is) have been cut with some kind of saw and left with unpainted rough edges

- Sideskirts don't line up and were not cleaned before being painted (seriously rough gritty paint finish, like painting over 50 grit sandpaper)

- At some point different skirts were fitted and drilled straight into the bodywork. There is a big 1cm hole in the body just forward of the rear wheel.

- "Prodrive" exhaust surround is a piece of carbon lookalike thick plastic sheet that is folded around the rear bumper

- ie. it's not actually carbon, and it isn't even properly stuck to the bumper

8) More general dodginess

- Front passenger wheelarch liner is missing with lots of muddy exposed wires, including airbag sensor wires

- Car has problems returning to idle when the throttle is blipped

- Inconsistently drops to 500-600RPM, car feels like it's going to stall, then comes back up to 9000 RPM after a couple of seconds

- Cambelt cover and various engine bay bits have been painted WR blue. Mmmm.... rice.....

- Wheel nuts are rusted to hell and back.

- Champiro tires. Not sure which ones but seem to be directional. Not what I'd put on my car anyway.

- Car was mildly quick, but my car (which has an almost factory engine) could smoke it easily. Certainly not as quick as what he claims.

However, we can at least confirm that it does have a Link G3 in it.

Simon C said:

Sadly, all the points you've raised can actually be explained away by gross, sub-Homer-Simpson, Cletus-The-Slack-Jawed-Yokel stupidity.

No, they can't.

Maybe, if everyone on here had told him it WAS an STI, then i could believe it. But sadly, even the most moronic d1ckhead, on being repeatedly told it's not, must finally realise this, and change post to reflect it, unless he's out to rip people off!

And, even if he is so dim witted as to still believe it's an STI, the condition you've described means this thing is a complete pig, maybe worth $8000 at best.

Where does he get off describing it as possibly the tidiest STI in the country?

Stop defending the moron, he's a FUUCKEN CNUT and we all know it.

DPI']

/quote]

No, they can't.

Maybe, if everyone on here had told him it WAS an STI, then i could believe it. But sadly, even the most moronic d1ckhead, on being repeatedly told it's not, must finally realise this, and change post to reflect it, unless he's out to rip people off!

And, even if he is so dim witted as to still believe it's an STI, the condition you've described means this thing is a complete pig, maybe worth $8000 at best.

Stop defending the moron, he's a FUUCKEN CNUT and we all know it.

Sadly I have to agree with this. Stop defending a moron that is now obviously out to rip people off...

DPI']

/quote]

No, they can't.

plus, he knew when he bought it that it is a WRX with some STi parts on it not STi from factory (you can check the old auction for the car)

wow..

agree if he was a yokel and was a moron fair enough.. Hes been told how many times now to change it to what it really is.

Simon - you should provide him with a copy of your report. Also how did you get to view it if you were blacklisted - ;D was he happy for you to look at it once he found out who you were?

lol

We never mentioned my name. Jason was the "buyer". Also, because Jason's car is ClubSub stickered, we parked it a few streets away. The guy actually drove by it when showing off his car (full boost next to a children's playground, loser) and commented on that nice Subie up the road. "Is that a Version 7?" :D

So unless he's reading these forums, I don't think he knows that he's been punked.