Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Another dumb question...

Hoping to finally put my catless downpipe on my 01 Wrx hatch this week.

Will this possibly throw a CEL for Cat inefficiency? (or is that just an american thing)

Only a catless down pipe rest of exhaust will remain stock...

tebbyj said:

Another dumb question...

Hoping to finally put my catless downpipe on my 01 Wrx hatch this week.

Will this possibly throw a CEL for Cat inefficiency? (or is that just an american thing)

Only a catless down pipe rest of exhaust will remain stock...

I think there might be a temp sensor that the new DP might not have a hole for. Just leave it connected and hide it.

• General Member

Should, would, could a Subaru Genuine Oil filter look physically smaller that its Ryco counterpart?

I got a free Ryco filter with my oil and it looks physically smaller than the Genuine one I brought, wondering if the Subi one is the wrong one.

Johnnynz said:

Should, would, could a Subaru Genuine Oil filter look physically smaller that its Ryco counterpart?

I got a free Ryco filter with my oil and it looks physically smaller than the Genuine one I brought, wondering if the Subi one is the wrong one.

The early pre p2- take the larger filter and p1 the smaller counterpart. Winger put the small on my v5 before I bought it. They both fit but bigger is better imo.

Ryco are made in china now too well all the later ones in customers consignment stock Ive seen have been. Id use it coz it was free.

• General Member
 evowrx']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

/quote]

The early pre p2- take the larger filter and p1 the smaller counterpart. Winger put the small on my v5 before I bought it. They both fit but bigger is better imo.

Ryco are made in china now too well all the later ones in customers consignment stock Ive seen have been. Id use it coz it was free.

I have both, just wondered what the go was sizing wise, cheers.

I did Notice the Ryco one was a tight fit and hard(ish) to get off last change, but it may have just been over tightened.

Johnnynz']

/quote]

I have both, just wondered what the go was sizing wise, cheers.

I did Notice the Ryco one was a tight fit and hard(ish) to get off last change, but it may have just been over tightened.

I think both M20x1.5. Probably have a "20" between gasket and thread.

Johnnynz said:

I only use Subaru ones and yes they are shorter/smaller than other brands. I think the "pink STI" one is slightly larger, I think, but for $65 *AIN\'T NO BODY GOT TIME FOR THAT* ill stick to standard ones for $18 (or is it $16? )

• General Member
 B4 2000']

/quote]

I only use Subaru ones and yes they are shorter/smaller than other brands. I think the "pink STI" one is slightly larger, I think, but for $65 *AIN\'T NO BODY GOT TIME FOR THAT* ill stick to standard ones for $18 (or is it $16? )

I paid $26, but everyone raves about genuine so I figured I would give it a try.

Johnnynz']

/quote]

I paid $26, but everyone raves about genuine so I figured I would give it a try.

Sakura filters are made by adr group who manufacture fuckloads of oem filters. Ive got photos at work of genuine isuzu filters sitting next to sakura on the production line from a factory visit in Jakarta. They also make komatsu/kobelco/chevrolet/kia/etc. They make filters for donaldson who have a 40% share in the company I think and make baldwin and a bunch of other big names in the heavy industry. Subaru along with every vehicle/machinery manufacturer dont make oils either they go to an oil company with specs and get them to meet it then rebrand it as OEM. Unsure as to their filters but fuji are pretty big may be done in house. Bando belts are another who also manufacturer fuckloads for oem toyota/honda/etc even hondamatic scooters circa 1990. Ive had a lot of old mechanics say once ryco went to china they started leaking and getting customers coming back thinking they hadnt tightened it up enough. Personally Ive never used a made in china ryco but have had no problem with sakura.

Everything is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW genuine roughly $12plus gst or youre getting smoked and like I said majority of subaru take 2 different size filters but both cans will spin on.

• General Member

I liked the concept drawings... I think the way the roof swoops needs to be flattened out a bit.

reminds me of this a little...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTmg8QBcu6ZU_3ap_4Myv

But to be fair the best thing they could do to the WRX in my opinion is re release the GC8 with all new Engine and drivetrain setup... So what would I know lol.

1 yes i rate jvc . it they head units seem to feel more refined compared to others . never installed one i thought sounded average

2 doubt it . well if they are the aftermarket upgraded sti one then yes prolly are . the ones that come stock on sti cars will be the same as everything else

I have so many dumb questions, so I\'ll post just a few...

1) If an ignition lead has a mismatched resistance to the rest of them (fairly significantly, but well within spec) would this have any impact within an NA engine?

2) Anti-seize on spark plug threads? I\'ve read both yay and nay...

3) ECU mapping is regarded as something you don\'t fiddle with yourself if you don\'t know what you\'re doing. I completely understand why. How do you start learning and what prerequisite knowledge should you have?

Thank you kindly :)

• Guest locked this topic