Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

from scoobynet

UK/Europe Impreza Turbo 2000 / GT MY99, TY754VN1AA.

3.166, 1.882, 1.296, 0.972, 0.738, 3.333, 1.000, 4.444, Viscous (4kgf), Open

All WRX and STI (not R or RA) up to but not including v7 are r160. STI RA and STI R from v4 to v6 are all r180.

Why are you putting in R180?

r180 is stronger than R160, but note there is no differentiation in the front diff, they are all the same. Its the rear end that differs.

At this point i\'ll let you know i run r160 in the rear end of mine.. with dccd.. and 303wkw. i havent broken it. i think you\'ll be fine Craig... ;)

Your gearbox whines in reverse because its a straight cut gear.. this is normal. Replacing your gearbox has no bearing on replacing the r160/80 in the front end.. you just have to make sure you match the drive ratio.. which in your case is 4.444.

(you can get r160 4.444 and r180 4.444 ) :)

funkytown said:

from scoobynet

UK/Europe Impreza Turbo 2000 / GT MY99, TY754VN1AA.

3.166, 1.882, 1.296, 0.972, 0.738, 3.333, 1.000, 4.444, Viscous (4kgf), Open

NZ new v5 WRX had higher ratios than the above STI gearset, 3.9 FD not 4.444

See chart in earlier post.

QRAF']

on other forums they say they don\'t notice the difference between a 3.9 and and a 4.444

all i know is a can out rev another wrx in every gear

[quote name='funkytown said:

b]You need to look at ALL the ratios AND the FD to understand whats gng on with the gearing.

my point is that the 6mt has very very short gear ratios but a longer final drive than say a 4.444.

if you have a 4.444 which is rather short, you will have VERY LONG gear ratios to make it overall a very LONG gearbox as you describe. (i know your box is long, that im not disputing)

because the gear ratios have stayed the same in that swap.

heres a 6mt

3.636, 2.375, 1.761, 1.346, 1.062, 0.842, 3.545 (reverse) 3.9FD

heres the N1AA i found (5mt)

3.166, 1.882, 1.296, 0.972, 0.738, 3.333 (reverse) 4.444FD

you can see the top is 3.9 and has quite short GEAR ratios to compensate for long FD.

the 5mt has longer gear ratios and a shorter FD

• Guest locked this topic