Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

paulngui said:
Is this a big cause for concern? They're two different boots on the same car, one each side. Are the boots just leaking from one of the clamps or is it a case of needing to replace them? Pretty sure the same can be seen on the other two boots that are closest to the wheels.

DSC_16151_zps00f2f83c.jpg

DSC_16111_zps745068c3.jpg

Um sort of, there should be no fluid in those boots to leak out, so if there is then it is a sign of the seals in the rack failing

Johnnynz said:
Are Masterpower Turbos any good? Can anyone tell me if this really is comparable to a Garrett GT3071 and what the downsides to it would be vs. a Garrett?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/auction-750115481.htm

Wheel trims look weird wonder how it would go. Think that makes it spool quicker but limits mid/top end think 16g vs 20g where only the inducer increases and curve moves to the right. Common GT3071 is 53/76 60/55 smaller is 53/76 56/53 iirc. GTX stuff is bigger than marketed.

• General Member

Hmm interesting to know.

I am kind of tossing up between Garrett, a few cheaper options and also the ones Steve Murch put on his Facebook the other night. I dont really have a set power figure in mind but anything north of 250 kw would be pretty cool I think. I am gently leaning towards Garrett, do it once do it right etc.

Johnnynz said:
Hmm interesting to know.

I am kind of tossing up between Garrett, a few cheaper options and also the ones Steve Murch put on his Facebook the other night. I dont really have a set power figure in mind but anything north of 250 kw would be pretty cool I think. I am gently leaning towards Garrett, do it once do it right etc.

Give him a call prob learn a fair bit. Td06 20g would prob do it tho with a heap less coin involved. Personally i would never go Garrett even if i could afford it for the simple rebuild factor. Not cheap at all plus all the fab you would save 1k or so going holset.

• General Member

Yup will call him once my bank acct looks a bit healthier and I can commit to something on the spot.

How does a Holset save Fabrication? Last time I spoke to Steve he recommended a Holste 35/2 I think it was but my circumstances changed dramatically and I never followed up.

Was sitting in a drive-thru this afternoon for 5 mins max, when my temperature gauge rises. As I leave and get moving again, it goes straight back down to normal operating temp within 30 seconds. From then it was fine, but as I arrive home 40kms later and the car is cooling down, it starts to rise again? What on earth?

bnneie said:
Was sitting in a drive-thru this afternoon for 5 mins max, when my temperature gauge rises. As I leave and get moving again, it goes straight back down to normal operating temp within 30 seconds. From then it was fine, but as I arrive home 40kms later and the car is cooling down, it starts to rise again? What on earth?

Could be thermostat/blocked heater core/Fans not working (fuse/relay/temp sensor).

Try connecting the green & black diagnostic plugs to see if both radiator fans are working. Then check thermostat out.

Have used AA for a pre-purchase inspection previously, but unable to this time due to the seller's location. I see VTNZ do them, are they comparable? Any other recommendations. Wanting to get this done today if possible so any insight appreciated.

Several questions

Genome Muffler

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/exterior/auction-754131558.htm

Will this fit my my 02 v8 sti with some obvious welding adaption? As I currently have a full 3" exhaust including downpipe?

Currently I have a huge ass cannon muffler with a big 5" tip (I think I can easily fit both my fists lol), it is insanely loud and already getting looks from the local officers on the motorway when I go past. Last time I had a muffler that big years ago I received multiple noise infringements. Will this help quiet things down a little?

With the STI muffler on, does this help ease issues for WOF's as it is an genuine optional part? Or is that one of the local urban myths that has been floating around for years?

Pull the belt out as far as it will go, then give the whole length a good scrub with warm soapy water or CRC. The belt gets sticky/oily over time and binds up as it's retracting. Can also remove the interior panel and clean/lube the lower roller/retractor thingy.

• Guest locked this topic