Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Ok, looking at doing oil change tomorrow. The last oil change was done with Shell 10w-30w. I was looking online and saw Supercheaps Chief brand, is this ok to use or do I pay extra for a better know name brand? Also do I need an OEM filter or will a repco/supercheap one be fine? The car is a stock standard 250T auto.

P.S I did have a look through the Suitable oil thread but did'nt find exactly what I was looking for. Any help would be great. And I'm not able to spend a fortune on it at the moment.

Andy_Mac said:
Id always stay away from chief purely because, why risk it?

Not sure about supercheap/repco branded ones but i've always been told ryco ones are an adequite replacemnet for oem ones.

Fair enough call, just thought I would ask - Also which would be better a 05w-30 or a 10w-40w? Im not up on all the differences in viscosity (not like the old cortina where it was put in the thickest you could find to stop it all leaking out)

SpeedySub said:
Ok, looking at doing oil change tomorrow. The last oil change was done with Shell 10w-30w. I was looking online and saw Supercheaps Chief brand, is this ok to use or do I pay extra for a better know name brand? Also do I need an OEM filter or will a repco/supercheap one be fine? The car is a stock standard 250T auto.

P.S I did have a look through the Suitable oil thread but did'nt find exactly what I was looking for. Any help would be great. And I'm not able to spend a fortune on it at the moment.

Repco have Penrite HPR 10w50 for $40. I bought some for my car. I've been using it for almost 20,000k's now with no issues.

THIS IS IN CAPS BECAUSE I AM SHOUTING AND WANT TO BE HEARD.

USE A 10W30 OR 10W40 SL OR HIGHER SPEC AND A FILTER THAT COSTS OVER $4 AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY OIL/FILTER RELATED ISSUES IF YOU SERVICE REGULARLY.

IF YOU HAVE A FLASH TURBO WRX V7- USE 5W30 FULL SYNTHETIC SL-.

REALITY IS YOU COULD RUN ALMOST ANY VISCOSITY OR GRADE OF OIL IN YOUR CAR AND ALMOST ANY FILTER AND NEVER HAVE AN ISSUE. FULL SYN PREFFERED IF YOU EXTEND SERVICE INTERVALS OR YOU BEAT ON IT E'ERDAY.

NOBODY NEEDS A 0W60 OR 20W50 OR 25W50 ETC.

SOME CAM GUYS RECOMMEND HIGH ZINC/ZDDP IF SO USE IT IF ITS STOCK JUST ADHERE TO THE ABOVE.

OK

Timmah said:
Repco have Penrite HPR 10w50 for $40. I bought some for my car. I've been using it for almost 20,000k's now with no issues.

I bought 3x 5 litres of it today...

Been using it in the coupe for three years and it's still going strong..

Timmah said:

Sweet. Thats the sort of price I was looking for. Will go down first thing and get me some with a Ryco filter. And Thanks for the info on the oils evowrx, it was good to know.

Winger said for my 2007 legacy GTB you didn't really need to do oil every 5k. I'm only a between the lights driver with a bit off the line.

Is it really necessary to do 5k, my oil is still a brown and light consistency 7k after service.

Edited by killervq30de

ADIKT said:
Incredibly strong fuel smell in cabin and also outside the car. When warm and cold. Cant see and visible leaks. Ideas? No fpr gauge

It's often the fuel hose clamps need tightening. The fuel hose goes hard with age so the clamps need to be tightened. The one in the centre under the manifold is also the worst culprit as well as being the hardest to get to. Never seen actual fuel leaking out but have fixed the smell on a few legacies over the years due to loose clamps.

• Guest locked this topic