Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

We are borg said:

depends really on tire make/model and the vehicle setup

on a FWD vehicle i believe in putting the better tire on the rear ( i know does not make sense ) mainly because the rear usually has no weight on it so really needs the best traction it can get

on RWD i would still put best on rear as it again has no weight so needs the most advantage to over come traction lost.

BUT saying that remember the front do 80% of your braking and all your steering...:)

Was semi-contemplating a slightly wider profile on the rears. Was mostly to fill the guards a little more.

But would scrap that idea if if would promote too much understeer.

I guess that side of things would mostly come down to trial and error.

wrx_lou']

[quote name='We are borg said:

depends really on tire make/model and the vehicle setup

on a FWD vehicle i believe in putting the better tire on the rear ( i know does not make sense ) mainly because the rear usually has no weight on it so really needs the best traction it can get

on RWD i would still put best on rear as it again has no weight so needs the most advantage to over come traction lost.

BUT saying that remember the front do 80% of your braking and all your steering...:)

/quote]

Was semi-contemplating a slightly wider profile on the rears. Was mostly to fill the guards a little more.

But would scrap that idea if if would promote too much understeer.

I guess that side of things would mostly come down to trial and error.

or reading car specific forums to see what worked for others ( mind you unless it is NZ specific you can pretty much ignore tire advice as our road surface is pretty unique )

i need other peoples opinions right now.

i currently have stock alloys with decent 195/65/14 tyres and a set of BRAND NEW snow chains.

i don't have the money right now but i would like to upgrade to a nice set of 16s or 17s so that means new tyres too.

i came across these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=481987535 on trademe. was wondering if i should buy those? or should i save my money and put it towards my new wheels? the snow tyres are so cheap, and this winter im planning on going on heaps of snow drives as soon as we get big dumps. might save me time and hassle having to put my chains on and take them off everytime i get stuck

heellllpppp

keep the tires you have and fit snow chains if ever necessary ( should never need them),

Snow and ice tires are dangerous at best ( well they aren't if used correctly which is on snow and ice and notso much on just sealed roads as they over heat and loose traction ) also they become illegal at 4mm tread depth not the 1.5 of normal tires

been looking at my friends V8 its similar to this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=465717159

just wondering shouldn't i make the jump.

he wants 15k i think i could talk him down a little i'd sell mine for 6500-7 and get a bank loan for the rest.

pro's newer, v8, will hold its price better than the wrx over a sti, will have hsv kit and leather interior.

negatives might use a little more gas but not sure every car uses gas with a heavy foot, if something goes wrong its 8 things to go wrong.

good to know i think its a 6speed auto but i'll have to confirm.

its done 161000kms I've been told "this is just broken in" is this true with modern day v8's as things aren't built as strong as they used to be i know that with Subaru's

i wouldve thought you would loose money quicker on a commodore tbh. Wrxs havent changed a lot in price in the last little bit and less and less people go v8 coz of gas bills...get a v6 for economy our V6 VYII was mint on gas.

dont do it u will hate the way it handles, expect issues with brakes/suspension. we have a VX Calais,( i think that one is a VY) it has cost us over the purchase price, complete brake upgrade( it stopped but only just).had the rear suspension redone so we could actually get it aligned, new Airbag sensor,full powersteering refurb(and it still leaks) the A/C control panel lights dont work and it is a complete replacement to fix ( no bulbs :( ) if the car had done 100's of thousands of km i would expect some issues but it hade about 150,000 km...

take a step or 2 back and have a rethink,

We are borg said:

dont do it u will hate the way it handles, expect issues with brakes/suspension. we have a VX Calais,( i think that one is a VY) it has cost us over the purchase price, complete brake upgrade( it stopped but only just).had the rear suspension redone so we could actually get it aligned, new Airbag sensor,full powersteering refurb(and it still leaks) the A/C control panel lights dont work and it is a complete replacement to fix ( no bulbs :( ) if the car had done 100's of thousands of km i would expect some issues but it hade about 150,000 km...

take a step or 2 back and have a rethink,

thats what i wanted to here, think my mates is a VZ?

I was driving the wrx at lunch and just love the turbo spool lol.

I was thinking about looking at this one, which is a SS tho

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=483721918

they are such wheeezy asthmatic cars! seriously different to how a turbo car breathes and drives. The suspension is floaty and 'orrible.

Lukes VZ ute has all the types of issues demo is talking about above.. and its only done 75k kms... its soo unreliable.

His is the 3.6 6cyl, and my BPE 3.0l 6 cyl outback has more grunt and is better on gas, and better to tow with.

Our vy was a marked ex-cop car. Had bigger police brakes (listed like that in parts catalogues) a siren button and couple of holes in the dash. Had lpg too which was a bonus. Lowered 50mm by workmate i bought it off and rolled guards as it rubbed in the rear. Good car but pulled like a bitch when you hit a puddle. Dunno if it had a cutout/upgraded comp etc it was a family car not a wrx family car :D

The steelies are way stronger too.

cool as i think if a moderator can move this to its own thread as its a little off topic now.

My workmate has a xr6 turbo and its super quick but my mrs won't let me get a ford.

I just like how the v8's hold there price better than the v6's. and normally the 8's are better looked after when it comes time to inspecting.

• Guest locked this topic