Jump to content
Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $0.00

05 V9 WRX STi peaking 22PSI


Recommended Posts

Hey guys! I’m the second owner of an immaculate  Japa Import 05 wrx sti. I bought the car a year ago with 39,000 original K’s on the clock hence why I’m always worrying about it😂. Long story short, I bought this car off of a 75 year old in CHCH he had put a “RAGE” exhaust on the car. Took her to the local Subaru dealership today for a service and the head mechanic told me that I’ve got an aftermarket cattless downpipe hence why my heatshield for my turbo is gone and this is probably the cause for the 22psi peak However in third gear if I WOT between 3.5-4k rpm it shoots upto 19PSI and holds there as if my car is really pushing 19 PSI. The car is now on 55,000k’s I get it serviced every 5,000k’s, check oil and coolant every Friday. And I can literally count the amount of times I’ve boosted first gear, she’s never been launched and I always wait till she’s warm before going over 3k rpm. Is this high boost level anything to worry about? Or should I get it tuned either to support the 19PSI or to lower the PSI to make sure she’s running safe. Just want what’s best for my subie 😊 TIA

Edited by revoltingasp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gripless said:

Get it on a dyno with a wide band o2 hooked up and see what the tune is really like. 

 

Then make a plan when you know what’s happening. 

Could have been tuned when the exhaust was done. 

Hey man. Yeah will do, dude at Subaru said most likely there is a tune done however I have no way of finding out who did it and when. Possum Bourne quoted $1200 for tune and dyno :/ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

Most places will do a o2 monitored dyno run for less than $200. It obviously doesn't lessen the cost of a tune if you do need one but it'll let you know straight away how the current tune is and whether it needs a re-tune or not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey man, yeah It holds at 19 however when I hold the peak warning it flashes at 22 psi and when I first got the boost gauge the peak warning was 19 so sometime it must’ve gone to 22? I have no idea how. I spoke to last owner and he didn’t get a tune done with the new exhaust :/ so a bit lost now! 

2 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Most places will do a o2 monitored dyno run for less than $200. It obviously doesn't lessen the cost of a tune if you do need one but it'll let you know straight away how the current tune is and whether it needs a re-tune or not.

Hey man. Spoke to the last owner he told me he didn’t get a tune done but the catless downpipes look to be professionally done. A bit lost now as I will probably have to get it tuned to support the high psi? Which = more damage on internals because of higher PSI? Or I’ll have to lower the power and get the exhaust re done to lower the PSI? Either way I think I’ll need a tune. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

As long as you're running it on 98 it's not going to do anything bad.

 

I have a V7 STI which only has arguably marginally stronger internals and I've run something like 26psi from a WAY bigger turbo through it and it didn't die.

 

I ran it (untuned) for like 2 years with a downpipe and exhaust and it was hitting something around 21-22psi all the time and it didn't give a damn. Just run good fuel, don't thrash it when it's cold, and factor in getting a tune somewhere down the track - budget $1500 and get a high-flow panel filter, a 3-port boost solenoid and an aftermarket fuel pump just for good luck, car will probably make a safe-as-houses 215wkw and drive bloody nicely too.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are wanting to play it extra safe (which is what I'd be doing) then go and speak to the tuner and see if they will book a dyno slot for you, but if the initial baseline test looks good and you are happy with it, agree beforehand that you have the option to stop there and only pay $x i.e 2-3-400. 


A decent chunk of the work of getting it tuned is setting it up on the dyno, checking everything is working fine etc.

 

PBMS are a good bet I should think, personally I used E&H motors to tune my standalone ECU and I'm very happy with the results. Karl Ruiterman has a lot of experience with subarus and used to be the only option in Pukekohe until PBMS got back into tuning.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, boon said:

As long as you're running it on 98 it's not going to do anything bad.

 

I have a V7 STI which only has arguably marginally stronger internals and I've run something like 26psi from a WAY bigger turbo through it and it didn't die.

 

I ran it (untuned) for like 2 years with a downpipe and exhaust and it was hitting something around 21-22psi all the time and it didn't give a damn. Just run good fuel, don't thrash it when it's cold, and factor in getting a tune somewhere down the track - budget $1500 and get a high-flow panel filter, a 3-port boost solenoid and an aftermarket fuel pump just for good luck, car will probably make a safe-as-houses 215wkw and drive bloody nicely too.

 

Ight cheers man, yeah I always run it on 98 and I only go above 3k rpm when it’s at normal operating temp. I play it really safe all the time :) 

59 minutes ago, cods4 said:

If you are wanting to play it extra safe (which is what I'd be doing) then go and speak to the tuner and see if they will book a dyno slot for you, but if the initial baseline test looks good and you are happy with it, agree beforehand that you have the option to stop there and only pay $x i.e 2-3-400. 


A decent chunk of the work of getting it tuned is setting it up on the dyno, checking everything is working fine etc.

 

PBMS are a good bet I should think, personally I used E&H motors to tune my standalone ECU and I'm very happy with the results. Karl Ruiterman has a lot of experience with subarus and used to be the only option in Pukekohe until PBMS got back into tuning.

Alright thanks heaps bro! I’ll def look into a tune. Just want my car to be running as healthy as she can hahaha. Cheers again dude 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

+1 for getting it tuned,

 

My old version 8 when i bought it did exactly the same. Had an exhaust but no tune and it constantly overboosted. 

 

As @boon said, new panel filter, 3-port, fuel pump for good measure and proper dyno tune. Car will be a street animal. Sure @PBMS will be able to do something for you if you say you're from clubsub and do the lot with them :)

Edited by Niran
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can also try An Lal from custom culture and tuning he's done a few of my cars and he's very thorough, and results always good He has roadtune and dyno option. Roadtune much cheaper. Not sure if he is still active here but search it on facebook.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cheers man, that’s so much! I’ll def look into the tune. The cars fully stock and only has 50,000k’s on the clock. I just put the second Set of tyres from the factory that’s how untouched it is 😂 I really want to make it quicker but at the same time I want to keep it fully stock because it’s such a good exemplar of s sti 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/03/2019 at 10:09 AM, jsan083 said:

You can also try An Lal from custom culture and tuning he's done a few of my cars and he's very thorough, and results always good He has roadtune and dyno option. Roadtune much cheaper. Not sure if he is still active here but search it on facebook.

yeh hes here as @Pappu1

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey man, 19psi is ok for a tuned v9 to hold 

usually drops in the higher revs ..

with catless exhauts, they do spike a bit and normally its the spike that could be the issue ..

either way, with a good tune, they get safer and can run that boost well..

 

will pm u..

 

is your one a black v9sti?

surprisingly, we just tuned 2 black V9's in the last few weeks with similar setups...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, Pappu1 said:

hey man, 19psi is ok for a tuned v9 to hold 

usually drops in the higher revs ..

with catless exhauts, they do spike a bit and normally its the spike that could be the issue ..

either way, with a good tune, they get safer and can run that boost well..

 

will pm u..

 

is your one a black v9sti?

surprisingly, we just tuned 2 black V9's in the last few weeks with similar setups...

 

Hey man! Sorry for late response. Nah mines silver, I’m gettint a fam friend to do a dyno check on it to see if it’s running mint. Then I can see where to go from there :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, revoltingasp said:

Hey man! Sorry for late response. Nah mines silver, I’m gettint a fam friend to do a dyno check on it to see if it’s running mint. Then I can see where to go from there :)

hoping it goes superb :)

do sing out if u need a hand ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hey man! Sorry for late response been mad busy with life in general. Got the dyno check at torque performance for $200. Cars pushing 210kw ATW in 4th, 6000RPM on 19.3 PSI. Fuel to air ratio and everything is sweet. Dude said as long as I run 98 she’ll last forever. Only thing is halfway between peak it dips for a second before full boost again. Not sure if it’s anything urgent or not though, I can send you a pic of dyno sheet if you have Facebook, or insta? Cheers bro means heaps :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recent Status Updates

    • MrSg9Sti04

      Afternoon team,
      im new to the group first time posting. Im hoping some body can help me get my launch control all dialled in on my link g4x. Ive had the computer and car all tuned from chris at prestige awesome knowlegable guy super happy with the results but now im wanting to get my launch/anti lag all dialled in. Ive been reading multiple different forums etc all with different conflicking information which has made me nervious with what do i listen to this or that if you get what i mean. Now ive started to make myself familiar with my PClink software etc the past few weeks and im eager to learn how to do minor setups or tweaks etc so im not relieing on my tuner so much and obviously saving myself abit hurt in the back pocket. 
      Now back to the question at hand.... Im wondering if theres and one who could please share there knowledge and wisdom with setting all my values, timing, fuel etc when i have launch control armed and engaged, or even a launch tune file they can possibly send me to load onto my tune. Ive figured out the setup of my digital inputs turning launch control on etc and its obvisously on its pre set factory settings. It engages but doesnt sound the greatest or as angry as it should i feel. Hence reaching out to you good buggers. 
       
      Cheers in advance for any info and help yous maybe able to give me.
       
      Cheers Shaun
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  gotasuby

      updated your DP's too : hope that's ok!
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  SAS

      Updated your DP's to reflect your business page  
      · 0 replies
    • Joker  »  Nachoooo

      Updated your Avatar : couldnt help myself  cheers!
      · 0 replies
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    40.9k
    Total Topics
    573.6k
    Total Posts


×
×
  • Create New...