Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

So, think I may need a new cambelt/ tensioner etc. As I was driving home and unfortunately having a bit of a domestic in the car: so wasnt able to realise what was happening thought it was the drunk bugger trying to pull the handbrake on again. Car lost all motor power and died. Wont start now.

Any clues? fml

If the cam belt had slipped a bit it would probably still start, just run like a dog on that bank. Slips any further and it's bent valves. Guessing the fuel pump still priming with ignition on.

Does the CEL come on with ignition, shows the ecu has power.

When I bent my valves the starter couldn't turn it over at all, just clicked away overloading. If it's turning over fine it must be sweet. Do a quick CEL check to make sure nothing popped up when it died that might have been missed.

Check for fuel at the manifold, could be an air lock of some sort. If no fuel there, priming the pump with the ignition 3-4 times might help.

Then good old spark test? Before ripping the belts back off to check timing...

Timing had slipped; thinking the tensioner didn't get time to re tension, so have left it to properly re tension over night. 3 of four cam gears had slipped to tdc and the left inlet & crank were about 35 degrees behind possibly a case of all the plastic cam gears potentially creating slip? Dunno why it did it really. But it did; so for now my assumption is the timing assembly so if it does it again. Brand new timing kit. All the bells and whistles. Might even fork out for a Subaru cam tool. If it comes to that. But it runs again ;)

Koom said:
Did you turn it over by hand (i.e. with a powerbar and at least one full revolution) before starting it up? That should be enough for the tensioner to open up.

Id driven about 40-50kms before it did it. :/

Thats why i was so confused.

LEGACY_BLITZEN said:
Gave her a wash today. ;)

10462919_338282812988167_671477551549887

10314479_338282836321498_842109348105138

Ooooohhhhhh mmmyyyyyyyyyy llllaaaaaaaaaaaawwddddd

The things I would do for that car :o

Anyway fuuuuuuuuuuuuu my cars been a head ache since the rear axle snapped

Brought axles for a viscous LSD - didn't work / was told my diff needed 2x left axles to work - installed it all last night and test drove and no good they popped out

Pulled it apart and turns out it's a suretrac LSD - needs special cups - off for a road trip today to pick them up and pull it all apart again after work to fit correct axles

Oh joy the ole Subaru is so kind to me since I came back

94 Leone said:
Sooo; reset the timing; got half way to work and pop.

New cambelt kit time.

****ing yaaay.

Fckn jebus man you have 0 luck with this car

Did you touch the cambelt etc before it went in? Hope you havent nuked another motor

Marky said:
Fckn jebus man you have 0 luck with this car

Did you touch the cambelt etc before it went in? Hope you havent nuked another motor

Yeah, I had to modify cams. I think that when the cambelt was changed circa 22k kms ago they just cleaned up the idlers and stuff. And it still winds over: just no start. So not bent valves(i fckng hope)

Pics to come.

It lives!!! Mahahahahahah

4 years off the road my track car is now running....Bit of a bugger my mechanic has impeccable timing haha I just bought another subaru but ah well haha, last few tweaks and then ship it up to Aux.

Rosssub said:
Mint. :) Does the old tensioner feel soft?

Yeah; also noticed it was missing a washer(after observing the new tensioner) and one of the larger idlers also had no washer; being they are identical part numbers both should operate with a washer (I assume) so they are both washered now.

will go for a piloted drive tomorrow methinks xD

Swapped the GC8 Zerosports intercooler shroud for the stock one after noticing it doesn't fit the V7/8 Intercooler very well... Glad I decided to keep all OEM parts (apart from engine). The third pic shows how far the Zerosports shroud reached, blocking the front & sides of the IC & airflow. The V3 shroud doesn't fit any better, however I've unclipped the rubber splitter and will customise a new one to suit for now. Anyone know if a V7/8 shroud will fit a GC8?

I will be replacing this IC...

Anyone selling a factory (good condition) V7/8 STI intercooler?

14481547837_9eb78d8189_c.jpg

14481548767_a8e5afefb3_c.jpg

14481549827_4dfdb94e39_c.jpg

14481353569_0ff21a3fe3_c.jpg

Edited by scooby-wrx

WRXER said:
It lives!!! Mahahahahahah

4 years off the road my track car is now running....Bit of a bugger my mechanic has impeccable timing haha I just bought another subaru but ah well haha, last few tweaks and then ship it up to Aux.

**** that's been ages! I remember when you were in Chch and building it. What is the setup these days?