Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

ItsTheRS said:

Just disconnected fans but that annoying sounds still there, coming from the right side of engine with key at ON so the engine isnt started. Anyone know what it may be?

Do you have ABS?

Are your check engine connectors under the dash plugged together?

dean.ryan said:

Lol at the questions on here. Now for ultimate in stupid.

1:Who's selling an EJ20T?

2: Driving along and gearbox makes a slight noise (like when your kitchen tap ain't on fast enough) in every gear but third. Have I mofo'd my gearbox?

Asking for a EJ20T is like asking for a Turbo GBox

Maybe more gbox oil?

ItsTheRS said:

Yeap cars got ABS. Which are the check engine connectors. Ive got the check engine light on dash apon start up if thats what the connectors are for?

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,67.0.html

Thats the thread about the check engine connectors. There's two different connectors and if one of the pairs is connected it can go into check mode which constantly cycles various solenoids etc in the engine bay.

You should at least be able to track down where the noise is coming from if it does it with key on and engine not started yet?

Divine']

[quote name='dean.ryan said:

Lol at the questions on here. Now for ultimate in stupid.

1:Who's selling an EJ20T?

2: Driving along and gearbox makes a slight noise (like when your kitchen tap ain't on fast enough) in every gear but third. Have I mofo'd my gearbox?

/quote]

Asking for a EJ20T is like asking for a Turbo GBox

Maybe more gbox oil?

Hope it needs more oil and nothing else lol..

And well. What's the actual difference between a EJ20T and an EJ20? Apart from manifolds etc?

• General Member

turbo EJ's do sxist but T denotes only a turbo : they do vary in design from 1989 right up to current production models

you need to be more specific

eg from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine

5 EJ20 Turbocharged
    • 5.1 EJ20T 5.1.1 EJ20G 5.1.1.1 1. Rocker-style HLA EJ20G usage:
    • 5.1.1.2 2. Bucket-style HLA EJ20G usage:
    • 5.1.1.3 3. Shim-over-bucket style EJ20G usage:

[*]5.1.2 EJ20K

[*]5.1.3 EJ205

[*]5.1.4 EJ207

5.2 EJ20TT

• 5.2.1 EJ20H
  • 5.2.2 EJ20R
  • 5.2.3 EJ206
  • 5.2.4 EJ208

My turn ::) Why is that our car revs higher at the same speed when its using tiptronc mode as opposed to being in D?

For example, cruising at 100kph in 4'th gear the engine revs @ about 2700rpm yet when i flick it over to D it drops by about 300rpm to about 2300/2400rpm. Woulda thought the revs would be the same in either situation?

• General Member

My Altezza is Triptronic and if I use triptronic mode it has 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and D.

D does run revs slightly lower than 4th but that would be due to D in Triptronic being a higher gear wouldn't it?

D in Triptronic mode and straight up Drive in Auto mode would track the same amount of revs wouldn't they?

What ever causes it, I'd say it's by design. Generally people don't have it in tippy mode when cruising in a straight line - the higher revs will give a faster response, much more idea when carving up some mountainous corners :)

The overdrive theory is a good one.

petercad said:

It will be because in 'D' the torque converter will be in lockup, meaning more of a direct drive between engine and gearbox (less slip = less revs), when you shift into 'manual' mode, it drops off the lockup and that's why your revs increase.

This is my thoughts on it as well,no lock up while in manual mode

We are borg']

[quote name='petercad said:

It will be because in 'D' the torque converter will be in lockup, meaning more of a direct drive between engine and gearbox (less slip = less revs), when you shift into 'manual' mode, it drops off the lockup and that's why your revs increase.

/quote]

This is my thoughts on it as well,no lock up while in manual mode

That's it then, it's settled.... ;D ;D

• Guest locked this topic