Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

ItsTheRS said:

Hmmm ok thanks kamineko/DRFVDR. so people who put in a straight through item, what do they do with that hose ?

I see on the curved black pipe before the turbo, theres a steel plug in there? is that where the factory one comes out ?

Usually the replacment had a pipe coming of it that allows that pipe to remain connected.

if not then you will have to get it done as the car needs metered/filtered air into the ISC :)

The top pipe in this photo

09102009%252528003%252529.jpg

kamineko']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

hurs me old v4, stocko standard, b]untouched[/b] yudda yudda

genuine replacement badges are easy to buy in Japan, and cheap. just imagine your local repco stocking STI / HKS / Apexi etc you name it they have it

i dont doubt it, but in this case considering that was a genuine STI and hadnt had a thing modified on it what so ever, i doubt they wud just do a grill badge

gazzy2000']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

hurs me old v4, stocko standard, b]untouched[/b] yudda yudda

genuine replacement badges are easy to buy in Japan, and cheap. just imagine your local repco stocking STI / HKS / Apexi etc you name it they have it

i dont doubt it, but in this case considering that was a genuine STI and hadnt had a thing modified on it what so ever, i doubt they wud just do a grill badge

my 5 has the I front badge

dacerx']

[quote name='VADZTER said:

how do you take out injectors from the rails? :D

cheers

/quote]

I know this is dumb question thread, but really?

i ask because i remember reading somewhere theres a special technique to it?

gazzy2000']

[quote name='Divine said:

On a V3 wrx sti, is the pink badge the "I" logo or the stars logo?

/quote]

stars are v5/6, pretty sure I is 3/4

My old v3 was completely stock and had the stars on the badge, check my thread's pics, maybe it's a JDM standard to have the stars?

Anyway here is a website you can buy the star badge from

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/_STARS__GRILLE_EMBLEM_CERISE_CLASSIC_.html

i think B4 2000's point is the fins direction is only vertical to suit that application, twin feed from the bottom of the intercooler in pic.

i would say horizontal is typical due to flow left-to-right and also because charged air would typically see a greater surface area with the longer horizontal fins.

a smaller cooler could have a deeper core but i think that overall, the larger internal volume, the more the pressure drop (limited understanding here)

• Admin

More flow vs cooler air... say you have a (huge) 500mm x 1000mm x 100mm intercooler. If you flow across it left-right then you get 500cm^2 of space to distribute your air channels but they're 1000mm long so they'll cool a lot more. If you flow top-bottom you have 1000cm^2 of space for cooling channels but they're only 500mm long so they'll cool less...

B4 2000 said:

it's easier for air or anything really to move from one side to the other rather than going upwards but sometimes having a twin turbo setup with turbos mounted on each side (common on V shaped engines) you have to go that way.

I think you're giving gravity too much credit there. With a pressurised system like this, the weight of the air travelling upwards through the cooler is going to be completely negligible.

As boon pointed out, there's a difference between the cross-sectional area for the flow to pass through. In the vertical setup though, you have a greater cross-sectional area (for the commonly rectangular shaped coolers) which will mean the air passing through has a lower velocity. It then has more time to transfer its heat to the cooler per mm traveled. But also has less mm of tube to travel through in the heat exchanger so may come out cooler or may come out warmer (there's equations for that).

Because it is traveling slower through the thin tubes, one of the pro's is less drag is produced (due to traveling slower, through a shorter tube) so will generally give less of a pressure drop across the core for similar cooling properties (i.e. its more efficient)

The manifold feeding the core needs to be well designed to prevent pressure drops due to the change in area from the inlet tube to the big wide open space of the top of the core. Personally I'd prefer the shorter runs through the top-bottom intercooler but then its just easier and cheaper to find a normal side-side cooler.

• Guest locked this topic