Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Hikari said:

Alright, as for picking up the bonnet in my gc8. I am gonna try fit it in the back of my car. I have taken out my center console, rear seats and front passenger seat just to pathetically try and fit the bonnet in the car. will report how it goes.

before you go. Take your current bonnet off and do a test fit

Lol

speedfreak said:

Dumb Question time, can you remove the gearbox without dropping the suspention at the front? i just got wheel alignment and now gearbox is coming out and rather not pay again. pretty sure i will, but anyone got any tips?

I have a dumb, but not-dumb question.

Did you do your shopping at Countdown on Moorhouse Ave tonight?

speedfreak said:

Dumb Question time, can you remove the gearbox without dropping the suspention at the front? i just got wheel alignment and now gearbox is coming out and rather not pay again. pretty sure i will, but anyone got any tips?

Drop the suspension by undoing the pinch bolt (14mm socket) and using a long lever (I just use the handle of my powerbar) to pry the balljoint out of the bottom of the hub. This means you\'re not undoing the strut mount bolts and messing with any of the alignment stuff. And the hub comes free enough to pull the cv\'s out of the back of the hubs.

Yeah you can, and its quite quick and easy to do. ;)

1. Separate the hub from the lower control arm at the ball stud.

2. Pull pin from C.V at gearbox end.

3. Get a friend to pull the hub outwards while you pull the inner C.V from the box.

4. repeat on other side of car.

You don\'t have to touch any of the bolts that adjust anything and the lower control arm ball stud will only sit in just the right spot so no need for an alignment.

I use a short flat head screw driver to force open the split behind the ball stud on the hub, then it will just slide out.

You will have to remove the pinch bolt completely to get it to release properly and it is normally easier to push the arm down than try and lift the hub out. Once you have the hub free you should have enough movement to get the inner C.V disconnected from the box.

Remember you will have to pull them out of the way when the gearbox goes back in.

Timmah']

Yep i did, you stalking me? :P

Drop the suspension by undoing the pinch bolt (14mm socket) and using a long lever (I just use the handle of my powerbar) to pry the balljoint out of the bottom of the hub. This means you\'re not undoing the strut mount bolts and messing with any of the alignment stuff. And the hub comes free enough to pull the cv\'s out of the back of the hubs.

[quote name='666SubSpeed said:

3. Get a friend to pull the hub outwards while you pull the inner C.V from the box.

You don\'t have to touch any of the bolts that adjust anything and the lower control arm ball stud will only sit in just the right spot so no need for an alignment.

I use a short flat head screw driver to force open the split behind the ball stud on the hub, then it will just slide out.

You will have to remove the pinch bolt completely to get it to release properly and it is normally easier to push the arm down than try and lift the hub out. Once you have the hub free you should have enough movement to get the inner C.V disconnected from the box.

Remember you will have to pull them out of the way when the gearbox goes back in.

you guys are awesome! thats exactally what i wanted to hear! thanks :D

speedfreak']

[quote name='speedfreak said:

/quote]

Nah I was working and infront of the guy who served you. Should of come to my till! I was going to shout out.. but I have may forgotten your name (Sorry) and then got busy with other customers.

Timmah']

/quote]

Nah I was working and infront of the guy who served you. Should of come to my till! I was going to shout out.. but I have may forgotten your name (Sorry) and then got busy with other customers.

lol was in my own world at the end of the week, till selection based on shortest line not cashier :P

speedfreak']

/quote]

lol was in my own world at the end of the week, till selection based on shortest line not cashier :P

I had no one at my till at that stage as well :P

Haha. well my friends and what not always told me i should stop being stubborn. But i beg to differ.

Here you go fellas. bonnet brought back in a gc8 :D

To do this, remove passenger seat, center console, rear seats, passenger handle bars, and the small rear bar thats attached right in front of the boot when u take off the carpet that is between the boot and back seats

Vision to all mirrors were available also

1093890_10151880084856779_1913683435_o.j

Hikari said:

Haha. well my friends and what not always told me i should stop being stubborn. But i beg to differ.

Here you go fellas. bonnet brought back in a gc8 :D

To do this, remove passenger seat, center console, rear seats, passenger handle bars, and the small rear bar thats attached right in front of the boot when u take off the carpet that is between the boot and back seats

1093890_10151880084856779_1913683435_o.j

hahah awesome never seen that before

666SubSpeed said:

Yea don\'t even need to touch the suspension. You can just remove cv pins and when you lower box slide cv off. Very easy. Can do it over a pit or 4 post hoist to.

gotasuby']

[quote name='666SubSpeed said:

/quote]

Yea don\'t even need to touch the suspension. You can just remove cv pins and when you lower box slide cv off. Very easy. Can do it over a pit or 4 post hoist to.

I agree can do it on axle stands pretty easily too

jost']

[quote name='Hikari said:

Lucky this thread exists.

Im wondering would a wrx bonnet fit inside a gc8?

Ive bought a facelift bonnet and doing a pickup but wondering if I fiddle around the angles it would fit in the back of the car ?

/quote]

Nope, won\'t fit, i had the same issue. ended up wrapping it in cardboard and tying it to the roof.

Haha read few posts up dude.

Was thinking it would be touch and go diagonally though the passenger door. 2 door have a longer door dont they so would be easier?

Did an oil and filter change on my car today, I normally use a Ryco Z495 filters but used a black genuine Subaru one this time. The Subaru filter is a a lot smaller the Ryco. Is this normal or did I get the wrong Subaru filter? It fit perfectly though.

• General Member
 evljat said:

Did an oil and filter change on my car today, I normally use a Ryco Z495 filters but used a black genuine Subaru one this time. The Subaru filter is a a lot smaller the Ryco. Is this normal or did I get the wrong Subaru filter? It fit perfectly though.

Had the same thing recently, the Smaller Subaru one worked fine for me.

I think someone in this very thread mentioned there is two Subaru ones a bigger and a smaller. But the smaller one did a thousand kms and a Manfield day just fine in mine and was easier to get at and remove.

evljat said:

its normal that they are smaller it doesn\'t matter

• Guest locked this topic