Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Definition of a Boyracer

Swindog

So,

after the stolen Subaru driver that run the red light and killed the 22 year old caused a debate in our household of what a boy racer actually is. My wife I was because I drive a Subaru.

By definition I said, that makes you (the wife in 99 GTB with a kakimoto exhaust) a boy racer too. She said, no because I dont drive like an idiot. I said, neither do I.

It also makes my father in law a boyracer in his Legacy Blitzen if we are labelling.

So she said...yes because he speeds sometimes.

So my point is - by way of media hype they have allowed society to label anyone in a Subaru or other turbo car a boyracer, but why?

Id like people opinions on who and why someone should be called a boy racer as I think its media slander to label a certain type of person in society.

Now also consider the latest incident of the 22 year old auckland being killed by street racers. Fair cop, two cars, racing on the street. BUT the below quote by a witness -

A third "boy-racer type car" was also seen speeding through the intersection before the accident.

Explain to me what a boy racer car looks like because the only car thats been done by the 'boy racer' laws was an 86 Toyota Corolla recently crushed.

It gets to me that I should be labelled a boy racer because I drive a Wrx with an exhaust that goes pssshhh occasionally. Why should I end up driving a Prius because the media has decided in my wrx im a boy racer?

The next question.

Is an older person (first number into your head) in a Porsche trying to race me over the Kaimais a boy racer too?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that I was pondering aswell.

I feel that they apply the term boy racer to anyone who fits under the following catagories when driving,

A) Is a male under the age of 25 but can go up to 29.

B) Anyone whos driving a car that has any modifications on it even a dihatsu mira with a cannon muffler

C) Anyone who drives a car that is slightly sporty in anyway.

I hate how people think im a boy racer because I drive modified cars or even the missus sti which is almost stock.

I often find its the soccer mums(again I realise the irony of myself labelling them) who dont pay attention when merging etc to be the most annoying thing on the road.

Swindog said:

The next question.

Is an older person (first number into your head) in a Porsche trying to race me over the Kaimais a boy racer too?

Easy one first: YES

The other bit(s)...

A boy racer/girl racer is a f*ckwit that drives like a loon/speeds/does donuts/burnouts/congregates in the middle of the night and does anti-social sh*t/changes lanes erratically/etc with total disregard for other road users

Some other stuff too...

The car does not necessarily be the indicator, the media has much to answer for

• General Member
 Green Machine said:

I feel that they apply the term boy racer to anyone who fits under any of the following catagories when driving,

B) Anyone whos driving a car that has any modifications on it even a dihatsu mira with a cannon muffler

I hate how people think im a boy racer because I drive modified cars or even the missus sti which is almost stock.

I often find its the soccer mums(again I realise the irony of myself labelling them) who dont pay attention when merging etc to be the most annoying thing on the road.

LOLtastic

29pffffffffffft

embrace it

anyone on this forum is a boyracer by the Media's standards

suck it up cupcake

JoKer']

[quote name='Green Machine said:

I feel that they apply the term boy racer to anyone who fits under b]any of[/b] the following catagories when driving,

LOLtastic

29pffffffffffft

embrace it

suck it up cupcake

jokers right, oh i felt dirty even typing that haha

dacerx']

[quote name='Green Machine said:

I feel that they apply the term boy racer to anyone who fits under b]any of[/b] the following catagories when driving,

LOLtastic

29pffffffffffft

embrace it

suck it up cupcake

jokers right, oh i felt dirty even typing that haha

hahaha :D

• General Member

The problem with the term is good luck finding ten randoms in a room somewhere who could agree on what it means.

And if by some miracle you could it damn sure couldn't be used in a legal sense because the most popular form and usage of the word is the medias form which is agist, sexist and tbh quite insulting to anyone who ever drove an import car when they were aged under 25.

That said Jokers right, embrace it. I'm lucky enough to have daily that doesn't get judged (Altezza) to badly in that sense, so when I take my WRX out I ensure all my ducks are in a row from a legal standpoint and I say f*** the haters, jealousy is an ugly thing really.

Can we really be "boy/girl" racers at our age - mmmmm

It is funny though when being pulled over by a cop, then the look on their face when they see how old you are.

Explanations given for being pulled over -

- the car could have been stolen,

- checkpoint - ummm the checkpoint is set up in the opposite direction (lol)

I personally think a boy racer is someone who through there manner of driving creates attention to themselves either through speeding in appropriately, erratic lane changes etc. Sure the look of ones car can help create attention but ultimately it's how you drive not what you drive.

According to wiki, lolz

Boy racers refer to teenage boys or young adult men who "cruise" around in vehicles modified with loud exhausts and stereos, or modified body kits. This behavior is frowned upon by members of the public irritated by the noise and the criminal behavior associated with it,[1] including violence by skinhead and neonazi "boy racers".[2] Many cars are cosmetically modified in an unlawful manner.[3] Car enthusiasts who drive sporty cars, or those modified to perform better, typically seek to distance themselves from the culture.[4] Responses to the boy racer problem range from laws prohibiting the antisocial activities they engage in to vigilante actions such as spraying expander foam, a common building supply, into boy racer cars with loud "big-bore" exhaust tips to stop such cars driving around emitting loud droning noises which is illegal and highly disrespectful to their property

Modifications typically associated with the stereotype include:

Powerful sound systems

Extravagant paint jobs

Large, loud exhaust tips

Spoilers[10] and bonnet scoops (usually non-functional)

Suspension modifications to lower a car's ride height[11][12]

Body kits, neon lights and other appearance modifications

Tinted windows restricting the view from the car[13]

Performance upgrades such as engine tuning adding turbochargers are rare amongst the boy racer subculture due to the high costs involved and the fact that most insurance companies charge extremely high premiums to young drivers with modified cars.

that made me laugh !!!!!!

expander foam in the "big bore" hahaha - it would blow out pretty easily

and the description of mods basically described a "ricer kid" not a boy racer - with their non functioning wings and bonnet scoops !!!!

Green Machine said:

I feel that they apply the term boy racer to anyone who fits under the following catagories when driving,

So based on the above. Im 32. My old mans like 55. He has a work car, a 09 Impreza Type R non turbo. Its got mags and is sporty. Does this make him a boy racer? Hes a JP so how does that work?

Nick_96_RSB said:

According to wiki, lolz

Boy racers refer to teenage boys or young adult men who "cruise" around in vehicles modified with loud exhausts and stereos, or modified body kits. This behavior is frowned upon by members of the public irritated by the noise and the criminal behavior associated with it,[1] including violence by skinhead and neonazi "boy racers".[2] Many cars are cosmetically modified in an unlawful manner.[3] Car enthusiasts who drive sporty cars, or those modified to perform better, typically seek to distance themselves from the culture.[4] Responses to the boy racer problem range from laws prohibiting the antisocial activities they engage in to vigilante actions such as spraying expander foam, a common building supply, into boy racer cars with loud "big-bore" exhaust tips to stop such cars driving around emitting loud droning noises which is illegal and highly disrespectful to their property

Modifications typically associated with the stereotype include:

Powerful sound systems

Extravagant paint jobs

Large, loud exhaust tips

Spoilers[10] and bonnet scoops (usually non-functional)

Suspension modifications to lower a car's ride height[11][12]

Body kits, neon lights and other appearance modifications

Tinted windows restricting the view from the car[13]

Performance upgrades such as engine tuning adding turbochargers are rare amongst the boy racer subculture due to the high costs involved and the fact that most insurance companies charge extremely high premiums to young drivers with modified cars.

So i tick all of those boxes. BUT I dont do it in an anti social way. If I have my family in the car out for an icecream on a sunday...how am I to be looked at then?

Is it just easier for society to label EVERYONE in a subaru or evo as driving a boy racer type car and label the driver as one because they have no other term for it?

I dont cruise around in my vehicle either. And how can a noise be disrespectful?\

Wiki - you are fucked.

I would probably suggest 'hoon' as a better term. I mean, what these folk do is no different to 20 years ago. Its just the cars are faster.

Does this not contradict half the cars that people therefore call boy racer cars?

i.e. all wrx, sti's etc...

i pay like $800 a year insurance on my wrx. yet i know damn well im called a boy racer....

lol

I would probably suggest 'hoon' as a better term. I mean, what these folk do is no different to 20 years ago. Its just the cars are faster.

Hit the nail on the head right there, there will be a new name for it in 20 years in sure will be Buzz racers in there electric cars.

Cheers, 2drs

• General Member
 2dr said:

Hit the nail on the head right there, there will be a new name for it in 20 years in sure will be Buzz racers in there electric cars.

Cheers, 2drs

Two awesome posts!

as long as your not a "Violent Skinhead or Neo-nazi" i think your fine

there is always going to be someone who will label all of us "Boyracers" at one time or another, tis society's way to label anything & everything

i guess its partly the visual/audible similarities between a properly modified performance car & a shitbox dressed up to look like one make it hard for people who don't know any different to determine which is which, i guess its up to clubs like this to prove them wrong with how we behave in our cars, maybe you could run some community workshops and educate the plebs on the difference between the 2 :P