Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Guest boostin

They will fit with a lot of work. Modified subframe, prop shaft and half shafts. Not a cheap exercise, but then you're not likely to ever pop a diff again.

boostin said:

They will fit with a lot of work. Modified subframe, prop shaft and half shafts. Not a cheap exercise, but then you're not likely to ever pop a diff again.

yea as above.

mine has the standard r160, only wrecked one, didnt blow it just got a noisey front bearing, and that diff got a hammering, lots of burnouts, donuts, 2nd gear clutch dropping, you name it, it got it lol.

changed it for another r160 and its been fine til i took it off the road. im not worried bout putting a bigger mechanical lsd in, the r160 viscous locks up both rears instantly every time, thats all i care about.

plus r160s are cheap as chips and takes me 15min on the hoist to swap one haha.

Old Skool Subbie said:

Today I dropped the steering collum and removed the steering wheel.

Had a new key barrel fitted.

What do you mean by semi-helical?

semihelical.jpg

semi helical above. the teeth arent quite as steeply sloped as standard gears

straight cut gears are noisy where as standard gears are made to be durable and quiet and have 3-4 teeth in constant mesh

to make stronger gears you need more meat on the teeth so a semi helical gear isnt straight and is quite stronger than standard. slightly more noise

bugger it..... straight cut gears and dog engagement anyone?????

driftrex']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

yea as above.

mine has the standard r160, only wrecked one, didnt blow it just got a noisey front bearing, and that diff got a hammering, lots of burnouts, donuts, 2nd gear clutch dropping, you name it, it got it lol.

changed it for another r160 and its been fine til i took it off the road. im not worried bout putting a bigger mechanical lsd in, the r160 viscous locks up both rears instantly every time, thats all i care about.

oh mine has smashed the pinion shaft and half the crownwheel.

iv got some grunt out of ths wagon out of parts i hav lying around. it can start a standstill in third gear . i didnt expect the diff to go first the gearbox makes that much noise its not funny.

but its worth it .

you dont need a skyline or a cefy to do a good skid.

Mikesti said:

iv got some grunt out of ths wagon out of parts i hav lying around. it can start a standstill in third gear . i didnt expect the diff to go first the gearbox makes that much noise its not funny.

but its worth it .

yea im sure mine would start in 3rd as well, never tried though, was only doing 2nd gear starts cause i dropped 1st gear lol.

speaking of gearboxes i should probably mention i have rebuilt my gearbox 3 times since its been rwd. first time was $1000 just in parts, new input shaft and lost 1st gear had to replace 1/2nd gear selector hub/syncros and gears. 2nd time was the lay shaft and input shaft bearings. 3rd time was all transfer case bearings.

so yea i basically have a new gearbox, all other syncros had also previously been done while still 4wd lol.

gearbox parts arent cheap even at trade :'(

driftrex']

[quote name='Mikesti said:

iv got some grunt out of ths wagon out of parts i hav lying around. it can start a standstill in third gear . i b]didnt expect the diff to go first[/b] the gearbox makes that much noise its not funny.

but its worth it .

yea im sure mine would start in 3rd as well, never tried though, was only doing 2nd gear starts cause i dropped 1st gear lol.

speaking of gearboxes i should probably mention i have rebuilt my gearbox 3 times since its been rwd. first time was $1000 just in parts, new input shaft and lost 1st gear had to replace 1/2nd gear selector hub/syncros and gears. 2nd time was the lay shaft and input shaft bearings. 3rd time was all transfer case bearings.

so yea i basically have a new gearbox, all other syncros had also previously been done while still 4wd lol.

gearbox parts arent cheap even at trade :'(

Tell me bout it i blew my six speed in 2008 $4600 to fix it and that was me doing the work that took awhile to save up.

how long has ur rex been rwd ?

hav you had any problems with axles?

Mikesti said:

Tell me bout it i blew my six speed in 2008 $4600 to fix it and that was me doing the work that took awhile to save up.

well its been off the road for mods for the past 8 months or so but it was rwd for almost a year before that. was running 167kw before current mods, will be pushing minimum of 220kw now though, capable of more after i forge the bottom end.

nope no problems with axles at all, car still has its axles/cvs that in came into the country with(probably original), im the only nz owner and ive done nearly 70,000 hard kms in the 3.5 years of ownership.

so ive done well really i guess.

D-Style said:

Took some Macca's food trays, Put them under the rear wheels of a mates Honda, Lock handbrake, and went for a drive.

Good times...

hahah hell yeah. Poor mans drifting is where its at. Good way to punish hondas too.

Got a nice stack of 15 trays we took from BK lined up for this weekend, on a turbo'd mini. GANA BE GOOD

driftrex']

[quote name='Mikesti said:

/quote]

well its been off the road for mods for the past 8 months or so but it was rwd for almost a year before that. was running 167kw before current mods, will be pushing minimum of 220kw now though, capable of more after i forge the bottom end.

nope no problems with axles at all, car still has its axles/cvs that in came into the country with(probably original), im the only nz owner and ive done nearly 70,000 hard kms in the 3.5 years of ownership.

so ive done well really i guess.

Shit yea done real good i got an r200 with axles last night out of s14

so gona start the conversion soon it will be interesting to see how that goes.

Ill be able to mount the diff fine it geting round the axle thing im not sure about?

• General Member

Booked in for the good ol' 200k Cambelt/service/wheel alignment... *sigh* expect lttle change from $1500... (even with a spare motor in shed costing the same I sometimes wonder why i do it..)

driftrex']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

yea as above.

r160 are the shizzle!

Well didn't do it today but rather Friday Night/Saturday Morning:

Friday night unbolted downpipe and midpipe. Midpipe was a biatch at the end where it connects to the muffler (bolts/nuts rusted)

Saturday morning whizzed to Pitstop and got some 2.5" exhaust tube bent to the same angle as my downpipe with some excess left over for the midpipe.

Took mid pipe, downpipe, and new tube up to the workshop, made two jigs, and cut out the cats!!! ;D (had single turbo cat and twin turbo mid pipe cat)

Went and re-fitted to car, did oil change, started it up and now kinda sounds like a rally car :D

Straight pipe when I have the muffler actuator opened but SUPER quiet when I close it (this is good on the mornings that you are tired)

At about 2.5k rpm I get a bit of a tinny noise and at about 3k it disappears.. could this be the resonator I left in there causing this? How can I fix it without changing my muffler? (I like being able to make loud or quiet :P )

Chris

last night got my car back from Apet, new fuel pump installed, had to give it a wee raping on way home just to ensure the miss is gone, which it is - yah!

tonight I have been stripping interior out of the wagon, have been seraching for steel amongst the rust :P

Guest boostin

Jacked up the rear of the twin turbo to the full height of my trolley jack and put stands under it as high as they would go.

Then jacked up one side at the front slightly as I can't get the jack fully under the front of it, and slipped a stand under the side to give me some room to jack it properly.

Took the jack around the front, started to lift the front of the car and the damn jack seal blew!! Now I have a car that is way too high for a scissor jack to reach to get back on the ground, but too low at the front to get under and do what I needed to.

Oh yeah, and I pulled the jack apart to see if I could fix it. No I can't. Awesome. >:(

But I did get a bargain from Subits for a pair of front guards, a pair of side skirts and a heater box with core though.

I put mine in the carport after it had sat out front of the house since Saturday night... IT still works and now its not in danger of my brother hitting it when he comes home from work at 7am after a night shift!

when the seal blew did it drop fast or slow? im freaking shit scared of getting under a car when it's jacked up, even when its on axle stands.

pussy i know haha.