Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

On Saturday picked up my AE101R Corolla, today fitted oem BA5 Prelude wheels with near new (chinese) 195/65r14 tyres on them, taller tyre than the oe 175/65r14s, fills the wheel arches better.

Chucked the preludes 30 y/o spare on the prelude, plus the 3 worst tyres from the Corolla on it, including the full size spare that was *mint* no cracks lots of tread but can't risk running a 24y/o tyre. 

Drove it back cautiously through the desert road, one tyre was tough and cracked bad, one was a bit bald despite being warranted. Ripping fwd wheel spin is fun (on said crappy tyres) but I want to look after my new daily :)

Was kinda sketchy, so knew better than to push it on damp frosty roads especially with those strong winds. 

Edited by swamp
  • Like 1

• Subscribed Member

Got it running last night, it's definitely loud, our mechanic that does our WOFs said he'll allow it, as in the particular rev range that it's tested at, it's surprisingly quiet. 

Oddly enough, it didn't throw any CEL's either for the air injection pump being removed, or the lack of any Cat's. I've removed the codes anyway. 
It's not happy by any means, under any load it appears to be cutting spark, and back-firing around 3500 RPM in 2nd, but am told something along these lines is expected with the free'er flowing exhaust and intake.

• Like 3

Mechanic fitted standard WRX suspension into the SH5 for me.. very pleased with the results.

Wheel nuts were on so tight that it stretched the thread on the studs on 3 corners. So a big f**k you to whoever did this originally. Luckily he found it then.. otherwise if I had to change a tyre, I would've been screwed.

I also chucked on a GFB Respons BOV because.. I don't really know why. Pssshhh??

bWDDJ6c.jpg

Edited by Shibe
  • Like 3

On 23/07/2020 at 1:52 PM, Inked said:

Played with the foam cannon today, sucker for buying stuff like this. But so fun emoji2357.png2673d2e20abf12f6b456e92927c636a9.jpg2b9c6608ec000b1c86f247b4ee444ae9.jpg

Found out Yesterday the water blaster had one on these foam spray attachments so tried to turn the car into a snow sculpture. 

turns out free foaming spray nozzle isn’t the best so it didn’t foam enough to stay stuck. 
auto glym foam lasted on the ground for hours afterwards. 

for first time this year the car was almost clean. this morning covered in bird s*** again. 

• Like 1

Found out Yesterday the water blaster had one on these foam spray attachments so tried to turn the car into a snow sculpture. 

turns out free foaming spray nozzle isn’t the best so it didn’t foam enough to stay stuck. 

auto glym foam lasted on the ground for hours afterwards. 

for first time this year the car was almost clean. this morning covered in bird s*** again. 

Haha yeah the water blaster has its own attachment. But I went straight for a proper foam cannon after some youtube research foam was thick as and stuck for ages but did make a hell of a mess on the surrounding areas haha!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Back in the land of the driving!!

Leone got its wof wednesday, not before first getting a $200 MDC parking ticket for no wof...

She's pretty for a 30 year old car. Not bad considering it hadn't been on the road in 4 years.

Parked next to a Brumby, because it was there.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Inked said:

Cage going in!! 5526b8814af629c5672df3a351d6abb5.jpg

Nice 

Are you getting side bars from were he is welding to the bottom of the lower points of the main hoop?

you are also allowed to have front intrusion beams from the main hoop to the front footwell under LVVTA last time I did one. Makes a big difference to the chassis but you can still get in  and out easy. I set the bars low so about seat cushion level at mid point. 

Make sure you photo graph everything a lot and keep the paperwork from the pipe order in case you finish it to a full cage. 

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

Nice 

Are you getting side bars from were he is welding to the bottom of the lower points of the main hoop?

you are also allowed to have front intrusion beams from the main hoop to the front footwell under LVVTA last time I did one. Makes a big difference to the chassis but you can still get in  and out easy. I set the bars low so about seat cushion level at mid point. 

Make sure you photo graph everything a lot and keep the paperwork from the pipe order in case you finish it to a full cage. 
Cheers mate for the info!

The rear cage will be the main hoop a harness bar with the cross bar through it like the photo below i am not doing side intrusions etc at this point but will be lioking to go full cage later on 68a052525f06e8e692b901ca80f85cb5.jpg

I was recommend the rear triangulation bars as if you get hit in the back or go backwards first into the wall the rear bars can collapse forward.
It makes less chassis flex as it braces the door opening which is a weak point too. 

I was recommend the rear triangulation bars as if you get hit in the back or go backwards first into the wall the rear bars can collapse forward.
It makes less chassis flex as it braces the door opening which is a weak point too. 
Ahh sweet I don't have a lot of knowledge more went with the company who have a good reputation building them. So when you were talking about the side intrusions are you meaning going to the front? Or for the rear. When implementing them don't you need the log book etc

Do the rear side ones to reinforce what you have (not in photo of purple car)

optional lower only front side intrusion are LVVTA and no log book last I checked (almost horizontal bar in middle of left edge in purple car)

only the front hoops, upper side intrusion and through the firewall are MSNZ authority card items. 

there are a few catches with the harness bar as you really need to know what seats and level they will sit as there are harness angle horizontal to 20 degrees. Not the biggest deal to move them later as the welds aren’t covered up.

the upper 

if you haven’t go grab schedule A from MSNZ site free and look through it. 
also your LVVTA guy should have told you how far the bars can come forward toward the seats. 

I had issues making the half into a full as welding the new front hoops up by the roof. it required the roof to come off or the bars to bend down to weld 360 degrees around, not ideal but again can be done. . 

• Like 1

Do the rear side ones to reinforce what you have (not in photo of purple car)

optional lower only front side intrusion are LVVTA and no log book last I checked (almost horizontal bar in middle of left edge in purple car)

only the front hoops, upper side intrusion and through the firewall are MSNZ authority card items. 

there are a few catches with the harness bar as you really need to know what seats and level they will sit as there are harness angle horizontal to 20 degrees. Not the biggest deal to move them later as the welds aren’t covered up.
the upper 

if you haven’t go grab schedule A from MSNZ site free and look through it. 
also your LVVTA guy should have told you how far the bars can come forward toward the seats. 

I had issues making the half into a full as welding the new front hoops up by the roof. it required the roof to come off or the bars to bend down to weld 360 degrees around, not ideal but again can be done. . 
Awesome cheers! Yeah the team at Kaizen are known for their rollcages and know i want to extend it later so have set it all up for that. Should be good though cant wait to use some harnesses at the track next event

Checked battery as health indicator said call service. 
battery tested ok and may need trickle charge for a few days.

Only checked as forgot to turn subwoofer circuit breaker on. 

also got a recall notice for the airbag finally. Also they added the relay that can catch fire one which is years old but they never bothered to send. 

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

Managed to get sound deadening into the passengers door this morning. 

holy f*** cleaning the glue tar sealer took ages. Couple of places they had put two lines of it. The previous owner had also played in there and smeared it all over the place.

also found out that the speaker surround is hitting on the door card. Which has crack in the speaker grill too. Slapped door panel back on and ignoring that one. Not a huge fan of the current budget infinity speakers thought they are better than the factory ones. When they die I’ll fix it and get nice speakers. 

Steering rack upper seals done.

even a WOF 

tomorrow I will try to finish sound deadening in the doors and adding the light weight nylon quilt thermal and sound sheet to foot wells. 
hopefully less noise and warm feet. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Gripless said:

Steering rack upper seals done.

even a WOF 

tomorrow I will try to finish sound deadening in the doors and adding the light weight nylon quilt thermal and sound sheet to foot wells. 
hopefully less noise and warm feet. 

Interested to see what difference that quilt material makes, I’ve got some adhesive closed cell foam to put in at some point too.

3 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Interested to see what difference that quilt material makes, I’ve got some adhesive closed cell foam to put in at some point too.

The closed cell foam is good on the outer door skins.

yeah it’s a 3M type product copy so 50/50 if it’s good but may try it in the hatch under the removable top wood and carpet bit. The 3mm closed foam is really good for this too. 

may try a sheet on the plastic door skins as well since it’s only $20 to do both doors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

First attempt at tinting the taillights. Probably went a but too dark and it seems to have a slightly blue hue to it that I'm not really sold on yet. Better than full chrome at least.

50204786866_eea046cc71_b.jpg

I like it... kind of goes with the wheels

What brand I may do mine again.

The old stuff was too dark and old owner did a s*** job with wrinkles.

Still not sure about the tint or red on black cars

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Gripless said:

I like it... kind of goes with the wheels

What brand I may do mine again.

The old stuff was too dark and old owner did a s*** job with wrinkles.

Still not sure about the tint or red on black cars

Duplicolor.

Isn't perfect up close as two of the pieces actually have some pretty serious crazing that has left a bunch of lines going across but not the end of the world for now.