Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have you done to your car today?

Guest keltik

Soooo did a thing again. Sold my RS4, and thought I'd try find a cheap but well modded car to drive until the V11 gets finished. Enter the 2002 Prodrive STI. All the right bolt ons including a link ECU, TE37s, semi slicks, new Teins and making 220kw! Only catch is high 220kms. Looks to be well maintained mechanically though! Body requires a bit of TLC. All in all, great car! 

6M8qcTE.jpg

4pvH0SX.jpg

Building up my photography skills too haha. 

Edited by Niran
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Added 2 sheets of quilted sound deadening to the front foot wells. 
only needed two holes for the clips and it slide in as it’s exactly 50cm wide the same as the floor.

i forgot what a complete nightmare lifting the carpet is in these newer cars.

the sills are attached to the carpet with staples and those plastic cable carriers are under the belt lower mount etc.

So I left it all in there other than pulling off the little domes that hold the carpet to the firewall and Center console and slide it into place.  Took about 15 mins for both sides...

then found out there is massive gaps with no foam or sound deadening right under the front edge of the front seats between the heater vents for the rear seats.  You can see straight to the metal...

if the front seems like it works OK I’ll order a couple more sheets for the rear.

Edited by Gripless
Autocorrect the autocorrect
  • Like 1

Finished drivers side sound deadening for doors and floor today. 

just need to trim a small bit and refit door skin. It’s pushed out 3mm around one of the clips so I must have missed trimming a bit. 

put a few sheets of quilting across under boot false floor as well. 

exhaust sounds loud but very much at rear of the car so something has stopped the in cabin drone. 

Edited by Gripless

Bought a new turbo for the B4 yesterday, a vf23, and bought some 18's for it today. After seeing them on the car, theyre too big but they were cheap so eh why not, they still look better than the 16's. If onky they cleared the 4 pots. Now I need spacers for the front.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

3d15dad06d3eb6a89d0afc0516f4e823.jpg

• Like 2

Found the area around the clip I missed. 
Door skin clips in again. 

tried to adjust the eq on the stereo but I think the speakers are too s*** to get good sound from. 

much 😔 

To EQ or to replace speakers?

pretty sure speakers are likely to need replacing. 
infinity low end speakers are bad, really bad. 
rockford even the punch are not great so now have to find something nice. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Gripless said:

Found the area around the clip I missed. 
Door skin clips in again. 

tried to adjust the eq on the stereo but I think the speakers are too s*** to get good sound from. 

much 😔 

To EQ or to replace speakers?

pretty sure speakers are likely to need replacing. 
infinity low end speakers are bad, really bad. 
rockford even the punch are not great so now have to find something nice. 

Does yours have tweeters currently? Mine doesn't have them and I'm considering just flagging the idea of getting the factory mount and running coaxial's in all 4 doors. 

• Like 1

Not my car and not a subaru but I have a huge passion for detailing and spend 6 hours doing a full 3 stage correction on my mates evo 8 for him. Absolutely no messing with photo that gloss is a raw file cf631b4f43b23448f6c9de80c2fb9132.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Does yours have tweeters currently? Mine doesn't have them and I'm considering just flagging the idea of getting the factory mount and running coaxial's in all 4 doors. 

Nope same as yours originally just the mids. the tweeter wiring is all there but no tweeter in the triangle cover. The factor tweeter is just clipped in and has a capacitor attached. It’s not really and audio upgrade. 

I swapped to infinity reference coaxial and they suck. Vocals are either harsh or muddy as it has a big peak in response near the upper vocal range. 
They good for some music with guitars but vocals not so much. 

the staging is actually good and music sounds high up on the top of the dash so the stock mounting is pretty good. 

Looking at swapping to alpine type S separates front and coaxial rears. Will mount tweeters over mids like coaxials but like the full cone of separates for the extra mid bass. 
alpine have silk tweeters so are much flatter response and musical. 

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

• Admin

I definitely wouldn't get them to use the factory speakers but there are a few options that look like they'd fit where the factory one goes in the housing.

I've been eying up the Polk DB series coaxial's. I've got the more expensive MM series in the Legacy and besides not a lot of bass they are bloody brilliant so hoping the DB’s might be similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

I definitely wouldn't get them to use the factory speakers but there are a few options that look like they'd fit where the factory one goes in the housing.

I've been eying up the Polk DB series coaxial's. I've got the more expensive MM series in the Legacy and besides not a lot of bass they are bloody brilliant so hoping the DB’s might be similar.

Lower end coaxials lack even more bass and have worse tweeters so they maybe pretty quiet down low.

seems google for reviews states the same lack of warmth and low end. 

there is a fair amount of room to clear the glass. The mounts are about 2cm from the door. But as I found out you loose 5mm or so to get the higher cone travel to not high the door skin. 

I have a CV sub all in one unit on the back seat so that picks up the low end for me. 

also driving today I can tell the improvement was worth it for the road noise etc as well. 

I think the last bit is the back of the hatch under the latch were it’s hollow and there is no sound deadening. 
I may just roll up some of the quilted sheets and stuff it in as a test. 

Edited by Gripless

On 16/08/2020 at 8:24 PM, Inked said:

Not my car and not a subaru but I have a huge passion for detailing and spend 6 hours doing a full 3 stage correction on my mates evo 8 for him. Absolutely no messing with photo that gloss is a raw file emoji91.pngcf631b4f43b23448f6c9de80c2fb9132.jpg

You make me feel bad. 
ive had my car nearly 4 years and snowed it once the other week.

only  other time it gets washed is when serviced and the apprentice has to clean it. 

today i waxed the bonnet, roof and top of front guards...

the lower areas are covered in tar spots 😔

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

You make me feel bad. 
ive had my car nearly 4 years and snowed it once the other week.
only  other time it gets washed is when serviced and the apprentice has to clean it. 

today i waxed the bonnet, roof and top of front guards...
the lower areas are covered in tar spots
I just love zoning out and polishing haha.grab some car pro Tar X and itll wipe right off

• Thanks 1

managed to solder and heat shrink the amp loom to the cut up ISO to ISO loom ready to clip into the car.

Dash is half stripped, but found there is room above the lower tray in front to the gear shift and below the centre vents to fit the amp.

It's going to hang suspended at the corners by cable ties. There is so many random plugs and sensors back there it can't sit on anything flat. 

ran out of daylight due to old soldering iron sulking and not staying hot for long periods. The temp controlled one refuses to even heat up enough to melt solder so it got to visit the bin.

Tomorrow is find a good grounding and bolt the new grounding ring terminal too. Try to did out some split tubing to wrap the cables so it looks factory and is nice and protected. 

Also Kicker 200MB WAV files are slow to download limited to ~44Kb/s WTF is the point of Gigabit fibre?

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/09/2020 at 12:26 PM, ADIKT said:

Wish my outback had electric folding mirrors :( 

Don't wish, just do it. Get a pair of mirrors from the wreckers yard from a Jap legacy, the switch panel by your knee, and the car-end plugs where the mirror plugs into the loom.